Bulk Slash vs. Burning Rangers

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Anayo
Next-Gen

Bulk Slash vs. Burning Rangers

Post by Anayo »

I played these two games back-to-back while exploring my backlog of unplayed Saturn games.

I'm aware that one of Burning Rangers' reasons for existing was to prove the Saturn could run a 3D game, since Playstation games ran circles around Saturn ones in those days. This is hard to ignore, since Burning Rangers eye candy is in the same league as Panzer Dragoon Saga or the Saturn version of Quake. Nonetheless, I can almost smell smoke belching out of my poor Saturn as it coughs and wheezes to keep up. Textures flicker randomly like lightbulbs that need changing, and straight edges wiggle around in a surreal Browinian motion.

Bulk Slash's graphics are way plainer and less ambitious, but the fun level is at least 10 times higher than Burning Rangers. I was strafing around spraying machine gun fire at enemy anti-air craft guns, picking up power ups, and taking on huge bosses many times my size until I lost track of time and stayed up way past my bedtime.

I think the reason I prefer Bulk Slash over Burning Rangers is that blowing up bad guys in a mech is just more fun than putting out fires and rescuing victims. This makes me sad, cause I feel as though Burning Rangers' has a super impressive game engine and squanders it on a dumb idea.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Re: Bulk Slash vs. Burning Rangers

Post by Sarge »

Burning Rangers is a game that could really use a modern update. It'd be far more fun if the tech weren't holding it back. I love the look, aesthetics, and ideas at play.

I still need to play some Bulk Slash, but I need to get a non-corrupt *ahem* "disc" first.
Anayo
Next-Gen

Post by Anayo »

Bulk Slash is awesome. I would have beaten it in one sitting if I hadn't begun playing so late in the evening.
Anayo
Next-Gen

Post by Anayo »

PresidentLeever wrote:Pretty different games, but I also prefer Bulk Slash.

The coolest thing about BR for me was having to rely on the assistant's voice to navigate; it seemed like something that should've been more of an influence on survival horror games. I enjoyed the game but it has some control issues, and felt way too short to me.

I agree, the voice guidance would have been awesome for the survival horror genre.
IrishNinja
64-bit

Post by IrishNinja »

Sarge wrote:Burning Rangers is a game that could really use a modern update. It'd be far more fun if the tech weren't holding it back. I love the look, aesthetics, and ideas at play..

yeah, finally ran through it earlier this year, and that was my first thought as well
odd it commands such a high price now too, i have way more fun with bulk slash but dig the ideas behind rangers