SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
MrPopo

Re: I'm not sure I like the Sega CD

by MrPopo Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:39 pm

I know it's true of the Playstation releases, but I don't think it's true of the Sega CD releases.

On another note, the Sega CD has the best boot music of all CD peripherals.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Anayo
Next-Gen

by Anayo Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:48 am

MrPopo wrote:I know it's true of the Playstation releases, but I don't think it's true of the Sega CD releases.

On another note, the Sega CD has the best boot music of all CD peripherals.

I think I like the Mega CD one even more

Mega CD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-6lcUGgVn0
Sega CD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV8PaH-DDwo
PresidentLeever
128-bit

by PresidentLeever Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:53 pm

One issue with Popful Mail (besides the scrolling) is that Working Designs pumped up the difficulty in a boring way when localizing it, increasing enemy HP and damage. Still thought it was a pretty solid metroid/monster world-like game.

Final Fight is a 1989 game so I don't think it's quite fair to compare it to SoR 2 or TiT, but I guess they could've updated its gameplay a bit by then.

Panorama Cotton would've been perfect for the MCD, and maybe remakes of Space Harrier 2 and Outrun 2019.

My MCD favs:
Lunar 2 - I thought this one was a huge improvement over the first one and it's probably my fav 16-bit JRPG.
Robo Aleste
Lords of Thunder - Looks slightly worse than the PCE CD one but I prefer the lower difficulty and remastered OST here.
Earthworm Jim SE - Features one new level, some new segments, more animation and of course better sound.
Snatcher - I don't think it's great from a gameplay standpoint, but still worth playing for the atmosphere and aesthetics.
Android Assault/Bari Arm
Soulstar - This one shows off the sprite scaling well and plays pretty well too.
Shining Force CD
Popful Mail
Keio Flying Squadron
Final Fight CD
Misadventures of Flink - Plays a lot like Magical Quest for the SNES.
Ecco: The Tides of Time
Puggsy
Mickey Mania
Chuck Rock 2 - Different levels than in the MD one.
Jaguar XJ-220 - Pretty good Outrun-like game.
Cyborg 009
Shadowrun - Wouldn't recommend it if you can't read japanese though.
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:21 pm

Oh, yeah, Snatcher is pretty much just a visual novel with a few simple shooting sequences tacked on. I'd argue those weren't necessary, either. It's still awesome.

I've actually got Flink legit, and it's also got a spiritual successor: The Adventures of Lomax on PSX.

I've always been disappointed by Final Fight. The first game is just too simple. Coming off of games like Double Dragon, I really missed the depth.
Anayo
Next-Gen

by Anayo Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:45 pm

Sarge wrote:Oh, yeah, Snatcher is pretty much just a visual novel with a few simple shooting sequences tacked on. I'd argue those weren't necessary, either. It's still awesome.

Snatcher kinda gives me the impression it was meant to be played at a computer desk with a keyboard and mouse under your hands. When I try playing it in a living room setting I can't shake this weird feeling it gives me.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:54 pm

Anayo wrote:
Sarge wrote:Oh, yeah, Snatcher is pretty much just a visual novel with a few simple shooting sequences tacked on. I'd argue those weren't necessary, either. It's still awesome.

Snatcher kinda gives me the impression it was meant to be played at a computer desk with a keyboard and mouse under your hands. When I try playing it in a living room setting I can't shake this weird feeling it gives me.

This is not incorrect, actually. It was originally released for the PC-8801 and MSX2.
kitkit.com
8-bit

by kitkit.com Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:19 pm

I remember at the time when Sega CD came out in Asia, Sega was trying to complete with PC Engine CD rom. Despite Sega CD was being advertised as more powerful than the PCE CD, PCE CD simply had a better game library.

I own a Sega CD and a JVC X'Eye but I can't really get into the games somehow. I sold most of my Sega CD collection last year and I am only keeping Final Fight CD & the Sega Classic CD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:39 pm

Yeah, no question that the Sega CD was far more capable (it had a whole other processor in there, clocked higher than the Genny, and all sorts of other goodies!), but the Turbo dominated the CD market, and certainly had better software.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:57 pm

Sarge wrote:Yeah, no question that the Sega CD was far more capable (it had a whole other processor in there, clocked higher than the Genny, and all sorts of other goodies!), but the Turbo dominated the CD market, and certainly had better software.

That's often been the case. The Master System had more muscle than the NES, but the NES had total domination (at least in North America). Likewise, the Gamecube and the Xbox both had considerably more muscle than the Playstation 2 (especially the Xbox), but we all know how that generation's sales panned out.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Snatch1414
Next-Gen

by Snatch1414 Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:21 am

As an add-on the Sega CD is pretty decent and definitely worth pursuing if you own a Genesis and want more. I have nostalgia attached to it (I can play Sewer Shark today and not kill myself for example), but for (again) and add-on it has good games.

It has the best versions of Terminator and Earthworm Jim, at least a few very good shmups, and at least a few good RPGs, and that's just what I'm personally familiar with. The prices are getting a little stupid but good games like Terminator ($30 CIB) and Sol-Feace ($10) can still be had reasonably.

(Wow I notice Robo Aleste going up and up. I paid $40 for that CIB when it was hovering around $60 just a couple of years ago. Almost never spend that much on a game but I guess I'm glad I did this time).
Subscribe to the Snatch Gaming podcast on iTunes!
SnatchGaming.com
Twitter: @SnatchGames
Return to Sega