SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Re: How is your Game Gear gaming going?

by retrosportsgamer Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:48 pm

Broken Game Gear arrived today and this thing looks like it's never been played. Screen and everything is mint.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:27 pm

Ristar, Outrun (JP) and Defenders of Oasis (w/manual) showed up today. Did well on the price on them I feel at least and all in really nice shape. Good variety too.
mas
Next-Gen

by mas Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:55 pm

Thank you retro sportsgamer.
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

by retrosportsgamer Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:10 pm

retrosportsgamer wrote:Broken Game Gear arrived today and this thing looks like it's never been played. Screen and everything is mint.

So I managed to get this to power up and played a little bit, something definitely loose near the power supply but unlike the description, it did power on after a couple seconds. No sound - completely shot there. Definitely needs work (capacitors galore) but its not dead DEAD.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:08 pm

Had a feeling if it looked that nice it wouldn't be fried unless you opened it up and it looked like a Katrina victim. I've often seen cases years back of old video games, cars, etc that were stank with flood damage/waste on the inside and that stuff isn't beyond salvageable by any means.

Anyway tried the 3 games out. Outrun I made it most of the way (70%) on my first try, but needless to say stretch 3 was a bitch where the cars just keep popping up fast on turns and you can't get away especially if the cheap prick hits you from behind. Ristar -- so sonic team looking in style, but it's hard, can't quite figure out where to go or what the hell to do. It seems fun, probably need to read a faq a bit. And Defender of Oasis is slick, even at its age it plays well doesn't feel really dated, more like some prince of persia meets final fantasy with weird non-sense names to spells from reading a bit of the manual. I got KO'd (required) and now my town is a victim, haven't figured out what to do yet so I'm killing shit until it's easy enough to drop a guard without dying or taking a pounding (lv5 currently maybe lv6 or 7 will do it.) THe game has a nice style to it, but I saw some of the dungeons have crappy maps so I copied those from gamefaqs as I don't like to bumble in RPGs anymore and not in a long time.

Oh off topic, tried out AM2R --wow, dude needs a paycheck from Nintendo to port that to their own hardware, stunning.
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

by retrosportsgamer Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:35 am

I also realized, one of my two AC adapters is just toast. I'm guessing its my original - both are Sega branded but the one that works has the yellow tip, which I think was in later releases. I've tested it on both systems and on my "original", the one just doesn't work at all.

And I used quotes because I'm more convinced than ever that my Dad definitely bought a second Game Gear, because the one I have from my parent's house is in way too good of shape to be the one that went across the country and up through Alaska back in 1993.

Personal anecdote aside, I revisited Castle of Illusion last night. I remember pouring so much into that game back in '92 - it is an incredibly challenging platformer imo. It slaughtered me last night (I swear picking up items isn't as fluid with the B button as it should be), but in turn actually motivated me to put more thought into it and give it another go tonight.

That said, Land of Illusion (new acquisition with the new game gear) is a def upgrade in graphics and speed. Only played through one level there, but am glad I finally have that.

Anyone ever play Legend of Illusion? Pretty late release (1995).
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:32 am

I own and have played Legend of Illusion. It's quite different from the first two, but it's still very fun. It has some absolutely incredible effects for an 8 bit handheld - some of it really left me awestruck. It's short, but definitely worth a playthrough
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

by retrosportsgamer Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:43 am

I kind of cut off my Game Gear playing by mid 94 (I feel like Aladdin is the last game I played for the system) and am really seeing now for the first time how much they maximized the hardware by the end.

I played NHL Hockey (1995) the other day for the first time - it's NHL 94 (orig released in '93 and this was two years later, but still) in 8-bit form and it's really good. I was similarly blown away that they were able to pull that off on a Game Gear.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:57 am

I was in the anti-Sega camp back in a good bit of the 90s because of their scumbag commercials to be honest. My GG experience was limited a bit in the early 90s to a friend with one (where I loved Aerial Assault and Columns) but ownership never happened until the later 90s. At that rate I got a couple dozen games and it was fun, but while Majesco didn't influence it I was going at it around that time (and not buying new as I never liked that company much as they were known for shoveling shit products mostly.) My selection of goodies died in the great collection bleeding of the early-mid 00s and I'm only back into it now due to a random stupid lucky local pick up back in May.

I like the stuff, having a hard time being focused. I just keep at this rate feeling the need to sell and sell off more and more games, Lego and other random shit until I feel the mountain in front of me is eroded away and hopefully then I'll feel more free to dig into things with some passion. IT's not to say I'm not using the thing, but my Genesis I can't remember the last time I fired that up, same with the PS4 from the other end of the spectrum. The PS4 I get, it's a dry well as is even more so the One, much of anything I'd bother with hit PC and my computer can beat them in quality.

Together retro rarely inspires me to bother, but it would be good to find some way to stimulate using these things instead of buying future shelf rot.
mas
Next-Gen

by mas Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:58 pm

You guys are talking about sonic drift 2 on my collecting thread but what about the first sonic drift? How does that compare to part 2 we got here in the states?
Return to Sega