SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Re: How is your Game Gear gaming going?

by Tanooki Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:29 am

No the blue game gear was a rare model for the US, common more for Japan, they used it here to pack in with a lame sports title for a brief time and never sold it individually. I have one.

Majesco models look like the normal frame, but the little GG logo the colored dots aren't different colors, and the plastic buttons are a somewhat different shade of color. If I recall they aren't prone to the lame ass cheap cap failure Sega doomed the GG with, plus it has a slightly better quality screen. Other than that i don't remember, but that's why people get all ants in the pants about it.

I have Outrun coming for GG in the mail, debating a pick up of the original Shinobi, have the 2nd one already, same with Ristar as I know where I can get that one for $16 and it is a unique game compared to the Genesis game. If you read up on it, its' more of a sequel than a conversion due to system limits, it's like you get the Genesis game then someone sells you an add-on campaign with new stages/mechanics, plus it's not censored like the Genesis version so it's less angry and more cute looking.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:17 pm

Changed my mind looking at rates -- I snapped up Ristar, also someone just posted for $20obo Defenders of Oasis with a manual and case, threw a $15 offer at it and was accepted so I'm happy. I've been wanting to try that RPG out ever since I heard of it as it got good praise.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

by nightrnr Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:28 pm

IIRC, the Majesco GG is supposed to have a better refresh rate (so less blur in action games). Otherwise, I have noticed that later Game Gears (not just Majesco) seem to have a slightly sharper screen (not that that's saying much :wink: ).

Haven't played Defenders of Oasis. My original Game Gear died back when I would have really gotten into it. Still on my "games to play" once I finally get a GG fixed and modded to my liking (I have many, and they were pretty much all experiment units).
...just another lost soul...
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:59 pm

I'm kind of there, mas got me a modded board and I plopped that into my blue shell since they were identical boards. I still want to get the board I have modded and the cfl removed with the LED kit I have on the shelf and place it back into the blue shell. At least I'm well and functional in a stock fashion at least.

I need to get back into the swing of using it so I went trolling ebay and found 3 deals and went for it with Ristar, Oasis, and Outrun. There's a 99 cent plus shipping charge to it so if someone bids more than a couple dollars it's too much going by others that sold. No one wants the first just the second and I have that.
mas
Next-Gen

by mas Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:39 pm

Not blue. They are more darker and the logo on the side is white and not colored like the originals.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:29 pm

Let's keep this ticking, I got Sonic today, noted it in your other GG thread, found it for $5. I had a good flea market day today, oddly all entirely indoor and at one of those places off site retail location too Transformer wise.
mas
Next-Gen

by mas Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:22 pm

Ohh damn I got competition in getting games
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:26 pm

Maybe, can't wait for Ristar, Oasis and Outrun to show up.
mas
Next-Gen

by mas Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:29 pm

True. Going to flea market tomorrow hopefully I can find some game gear and ps2 games
mas
Next-Gen

by mas Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:25 pm

I have a question. Can someone give me ideas on how to store my game gear games? I mean they are bigger than game boy so baseball sleeves in a binder is out so any thoughts?
Return to Sega