How is your Game Gear gaming going?

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
noiseredux
Next-Gen

How is your Game Gear gaming going?

Post by noiseredux »

why not?

Got in a Game Gear system from a buddy of mine on RFGen today. He included one of those handsome 'briefcase' style carrying cases along with an AC adapter and a couple of loose carts.

I also have Lion King, Caesars Palace and Sports Trivia CIB already.
Thierry Henry
Next-Gen

Re: How is your Game Gear gaming going?

Post by Thierry Henry »

It hasn't been "going" as I haven't had a working GG in quite a while now.
But all that's about to change with a fully functional system I'm about to receive.
I've been meaning to play 'Halley Wars'. So hopefully it's a decent enough game.
"There are three kinds of suns in Missouri: Sunshines, sunflowers, and sons-of-bitches"
Ghudda
128-bit

Post by Ghudda »

Did a recap on my GG a while back and sadly haven't put it to good use. I'd like to think that there is a decent library of "gems" out there, but i've yet to explore it. I still would like to splurge and get a video out board for the thing, to be able to play it in a consolized fashion.

I have Psychic World laying around... maybe I'll play that some this weekend/week.

Speaking of recap; if anyone has a GG in need of a recap, i'd be happy to do the service for you for cost of the cap kit and small labor fee (hookups for the regulars)
B/S/TCollectionYouTube

test3
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I may take you up on that re-capping. I have the best replacement front plastic ready for application, but my friend's ex-girlfriend, tho still intermittently around is flaky and hasn't given a solid answer when asked about it. I believe she is still using it regularly with the MKII cart she borrowed (she was blown away that MK2 could be portable, and ignored that I could've done it better with a Nomad, GBA, multiple cheap handhelds, her phone, etc...). My Tototek flashcart is sadly unused. At some point I will buy another. Emulation is not an option. My Sylvan Tale savegame calls to me, I need to finish this quest.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Ghudda wrote:Speaking of recap; if anyone has a GG in need of a recap, i'd be happy to do the service for you for cost of the cap kit and small labor fee (hookups for the regulars)

I'll keep this in mind.

I think the GG has a pretty cool library of RPGs overall. Like several other members here, my GG has been collecting dust as I wait for the (supposed) Retron 5 adapter.
Ghudda
128-bit

Post by Ghudda »

Yeah, a flash cart would be great. Man, the library for this system is so cheap though and may be a good time to build my collection up a bit. It'll probably be one of those things that I take advantage of during b2g1 at my local retro shops or something.

Also, It looks like it's in the works, but someone needs to get a widely available GG LCD kit going. I've read into the good US console exclusives, but need to look into the Japanese exclusive library as well (GG Aleste, Coca Cola Kid, etc.)

Really, most of all, this reminds me that I desperately need a master system in my life at some point.
B/S/TCollectionYouTube

test3
jmbarnes101
Next-Gen

Post by jmbarnes101 »

I'm going to keep that recap servicing in mind as well and an LCD screen would be fantastic. I got the Everdrive last month and I want to put it in a shell before I use it so I need to get on that.
My FS/FT/WTTF list:
http://racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=51197

Game Systems Owned:
NES, NES 2 (AV mod), SNES, SNES 2, N64 (Pikachu), N64 original (boxed), Gamecube (Orange, Silver, Purple), Wii, Wii U (Zelda), GB Pocket, GBA (2x-Arctic & Indigo), GBA SP (3x), DS Lite (Crimson/Black), 3DS (Aqua Blue), Sega Genesis and 32X, Game Gear, Lynx, PSP (2x), Vita, and Gold PS4.
wclem
Next-Gen

Post by wclem »

My wish in life: I can play Master System on my Genesis. I can pay Master System on my Game Gear. WHY the hell can I not play Game Gear on my damn TV!! :x :x :x

:lol:
dsheinem wrote:In any case, sorry that my avatar makes you cringe these days, but I haven't really changed my posing habits at all.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

wclem wrote:My wish in life: I can play Master System on my Genesis. I can pay Master System on my Game Gear. WHY the hell can I not play Game Gear on my damn TV!! :x :x :x

I never understood why Sega didn't do a Game Gear add-on for the Genesis. Yeah it wasn't as huge as the Game Boy but it was certainly bigger in the US than the Master System was. Given how well the Super Game Boy hit it off you'd think it would have been a no brainer.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Ooh, finally, we dive into Sega's handheld (was going to make a joke about "Service Games" but, nah too easy :P ).

Favorite game by far:
Shinobi II: The Silent Fury
It's basically a Ninja Mega Man game and I really like it. One of my first few games for the system too.

Also really like the SRPG options (all 2 series :wink: ).
Shining Force needs no introduction.
Crystal Warriors is a Hidden Gem if there ever was one. Has Perma-death like Fire Emblem and a Paper-Rock-Scissors system to pay attention to. Loved my playthrough and I really need to play the translated sequel (Royal Stone); even have an Everdrive for the occasion, although my PSP or DS would do.
Just need to tinker with another system or 2 to get my LCD brightness back (not sure which ones I re-capped and/or added LEDs to, but I had some issues with a couple of the ones I was working on).

I feel like I can rave about so many games on this platform. I'll pace myself.

wclem wrote:My wish in life: I can play Master System on my Genesis. I can pay Master System on my Game Gear. WHY the hell can I not play Game Gear on my damn TV!! :x :x :x

One of the great mysteries of Sega.
They were the most "add-on" crazy S.O.B.'s in the industry and that's the one that they omitted? What a weird choice to exclude; Game Gear games were available long after Master System games faded away. I never even saw SMS games growing up.
Also, no competition with Ninty's Super Game Boy?
...just another lost soul...