2016-17 Sega Saturn Japan Explorers Club (schedule released)

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Re: 2016-17 Sega Saturn Japan Explorers Club

Post by retrosportsgamer »

I am super excited for this one:

All Japan Pro Wrestling Featuring Virtua

Awesome mid90s roster of AJPW when it was at its PEAK (Baba aside obviously).
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

mjmjr25 wrote:We have a lot of racers, shmups, and fighters - can probably remove one each of those. Some of the puzzlers look very similar - very puyo puyo-esque, the least impressive can be cut.

I'll suggest:
Chibi Maruko Chan Puzzle Dama (puzzle) (seems the least unique gameplay, aside the Chibi bend)
Ninku (fighter) (i'm ok keeping this, but you can prob youtube for your enjoyment, it will be shortlived - funny characters, but bad controls and not deep)
Blast Wind (shmup) (it's pricey, and imo not going to be as good as the other pricey shooters)
Gale Racer (racer) (I look forward to this one the least of the racers)
Dungeons and Dragons (available on PS3, granted not as good)

Are any of those ones that someone was absolutely looking forward to?

I'll admit, my wanting to include Gale Racer stems 100% from my Encino Man fandom. So unless anyone else really wants it, I understand cutting it.

D&D is a fan-favorite. I played it on PS3 (and hated it). It's better on Saturn - how? Part of me was curious about having a reason to check it on Saturn and see if my mind was changed. Though part of me would be relieved to not have an urge to buy it.

The others you mentioned I have no problem ditching.
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Post by JoeAwesome »

mjmjr25 wrote:Are any of those ones that someone was absolutely looking forward to?

Blast Wind, maybe, but I won't mind all that much if it's gone. However, the less RPGs, the better. Sorry.

noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

JoeAwesome wrote:However, the less RPGs, the better. Sorry.

see my opinion is to aim for an even mix of genres. It's Saturn Japan Explorers Club - not Saturn Arcade Games Explorers Club. Y'know? So I like that we'd have a (somewhat) equal mix of fighters, shmups, racers, puzzlers, platformers, RPG's, sports and oddball shit to really keep it fresh and interesting week to week.
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Post by JoeAwesome »

noiseredux wrote:
JoeAwesome wrote:However, the less RPGs, the better. Sorry.

see my opinion is to aim for an even mix of genres. It's Saturn Japan Explorers Club - not Saturn Arcade Games Explorers Club. Y'know? So I like that we'd have a (somewhat) equal mix of fighters, shmups, racers, puzzlers, platformers, RPG's, sports and oddball shit to really keep it fresh and interesting week to week.

I get it, and I'm not going to crap on those who want to play RPGs for this, but I'm not one for RPGs in English, let alone in another language. To me, they're the least approachable genre for this project, with the weakest enjoyment to gain by playing. Still, it can't all be fighters and shmups.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

if we remove the 5 that Mike mentioned, plus the 2 I did then we still have 3 too many. So what's the best way to logically strip this down? I'm wondering if any titles here are too similar to each other so we could easily ditch one or the other?

If not I'm inclined to say we should snip whichever genres still have the most titles to choose from in the spirit of diversity.
Ack

Post by Ack »

noiseredux wrote:If not I'm inclined to say we should snip whichever genres still have the most titles to choose from in the spirit of diversity.

Conversely you could also take into account any games that were on the edge of the requirements(Bubble Symphony?) or have a participating member with personal experience criticizing their quality(D-Xhird).
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

I'm with Joe in that if we played puzzlers, fighters, and shmups...i'd be VERY ok with that, BUT, I understand we'll be more inclusive if we have other genres represented. Also, it isn't a bad thing to broaden one's horizons - some of my best experiences are playing games I was "talked into playing".

Waialai Golf 64
Kororinpa Marble Mania
Hearthstone

All of those are genres I wouldn't seek on my own - and the are all top 20 games all time for me.

As for DnD on PS3 - for me the screen boxing kills the game. Makes it literally unplayable. If you have a 50" TV, it's probably ok, but anything else it just feels like you're playing something illegally almost, it's just awkward. I like the scanline graphics over the HD smoothness too.

DnD on PS3:

EDIT: noise, we only need to snip (8) more, not (10). We already cut Dezaemon and Clockwork.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

mjmjr25 wrote:EDIT: noise, we only need to snip (8) more, not (10). We already cut Dezaemon and Clockwork.

8 more AFTER you cut Dez and Clock, right?

So you listed 5 others, which means we'd still need to cut 3 more right?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding...?
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

No, I misread your post actually.

Anyways - tell me DnD looks terrible using only 60% of the screen, yeah?