SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
mjmjr25

Re: 2016-17 Sega Saturn Japan Explorers Club

by mjmjr25 Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:05 pm

Yeah - I really want it to be SATURN centric only, so even a PSX-JP release would exclude it, UNLESS the SAT port was infinitely better or otherwise the gold standard. There are a TON of very cool looking puzzle games for SAT-J, but all were released on PSX-J as well, so while cool and worth playing, they don't fit the scope of this.

Now, something that was released only on SAT, but PAL-JP, I think that still meets the requirements and for most of us (due to display and power standards) the JP version is still going to be the most accessible.
CD AGES
Next-Gen

by CD AGES Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:54 pm

Hmm... from the current list, i've been curious about Sonic Council for some time now. Not a priority at the moment but i'll keep an eye out for it in my area.

While on topic of fighters on the Saturn. What about games like Fighter's History Dynamite and Shin Oh Ken? Both for the Neo Geo platforms and Saturn. I didn't even know about the latter being a Neo Geo title until I found it for Saturn -_-
TSTR
Next-Gen

by TSTR Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:45 pm

I've got way too much other shit to be playing to join this club, but I wanted to pop in and say this is a really cool idea. I'll be watching with interest.
JoeAwesome
128-bit

by JoeAwesome Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:28 pm

TSTR wrote:I've got way too much other shit to be playing to join this club, but I wanted to pop in and say this is a really cool idea. I'll be watching with interest.

I've wanted to tackle most every game listed for forever. No time like the present. Especially when I have originals or ISOs of ~75% of the list.
mjmjr25

by mjmjr25 Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:28 pm

CD AGES wrote:While on topic of fighters on the Saturn. What about games like Fighter's History Dynamite and Shin Oh Ken? Both for the Neo Geo platforms and Saturn. I didn't even know about the latter being a Neo Geo title until I found it for Saturn -_-

The NG version is going to be the definitive on both of those as well as Waku Waku and others. Really want to make sure this club is finding out:

-What can only be found on JP SAT (...minor exception if it can be found PAL SAT)
-What is good / what is bad and reporting back.

Hopefully this thread can be used for years to come as a resource for games that are unknown, or lesser known, and of those, which are worth sourcing.

For example - buried in the Saturn library is Keriotosse! A 1-4p melee game that pre-dates Smash Bros:

noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:30 pm

^whha? That looks legit!

noiseredux wrote:What's your thoughts on Bubble Symphony, Fire Pro WhicheveronepeoplethinkisthebestonSaturn, and the Columns Collection?
mjmjr25

by mjmjr25 Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:39 pm

I like the idea of adding Columns - the series isn't undiscovered, but it seems like most won't have played 97' and a lot of opinions i've read say it's very good (best version).

Bubble Symphony - i'll add it. I have it and it's very pretty. I thought it was on other platforms - but i'm not seeing that anywhere.

Fire pro - leaving off - RSG made a good point, it's a well known series across a ton of platforms including US releases.

I'm also adding:

Waku Waku Monster:
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:58 pm

Omg yes.
CD AGES
Next-Gen

by CD AGES Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:05 pm

mjmjr25 wrote:The NG version is going to be the definitive on both of those as well as Waku Waku and others. Really want to make sure this club is finding out:

-What can only be found on JP SAT (...minor exception if it can be found PAL SAT)
-What is good / what is bad and reporting back.

I don't see where Waku Waku 7 comes into play on this considering it did get a release on PS2 where as the two games I mentioned are exclusive to Saturn outside of Neo hardware (maybe Virtual Console?). But I understand. Just thought i'd ask.
pepharytheworm
Next-Gen

by pepharytheworm Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:19 am

Some suggestions:
Assault Suits Leynos II
Gale Racer
Hyper 3D Taisen Battle: Gebockers
Ninku: Tsuyokina Yatsura no Daigekitotsu
Seifuku Densetsu Pretty Fighter X
Where's my chippy? There's my chippy.
Return to Sega