2016-17 Sega Saturn Japan Explorers Club (schedule released)

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Ack

Re: 2017 Sega Saturn Japan Explorers Club

Post by Ack »

You guys gonna look into SHMUPs like Skull Fang, or perhaps some of the fighter variants like Virtua Fighter Kids: Java Tea Edition?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

mjmjr25 wrote:Culdcept (board/card) - English voices - On PS1 and PS2

forgot it was on PS2. Right.

Dezaemon 2 (shmup maker) - icon driven interface - I thought this was the same as Dezaemon Plus on PS1, but perhaps not. I'll include it.

Nope! Plus is a variation of Dezaemon 1. The 2nd game is a Saturn exclusive: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/dezaemon/dezaemon2.htm

Linkle Liver Story (ARPG) - is this import friendly? - Text is in Japanese, but playable. Most reviews i've read historically are not kind. It's cheap though, and a playable action RPG, i'm open to including it and we can be the judges.

Word? I always heard it was sort of charming or whatever. I'm def open to checking it out, especially if it's on the cheap side. There's plenty of games I like that aren't reviewed well.

Shadows Of The Tusk (strategy) - English menus - Hmm, most screen shots i've seen had all JP text. Here's a video - go to the 5 minute mark and watch a couple minutes. I can't tell. It could be playable / enjoyable - but i'm just not sure - there is a ton of JP text as well as english menus too. It's sorta confusing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O45BR-LxJh0

This looks pretty easy to follow to me if there are fans of strategy games like Shining Force, Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactcs Ogre, Fire Emblem, etc. From what I've read/seen of this game, the text that's in Japanese is all the story stuff. But as far as just doing the battles all the menus are English.

So I don't know - how's the price on this one? Personally, I love this genre and the story doesn't matter to me - I'm all about doing the RPG-chess thing y'know? If others are interested then cool. If nobody else is then I understand.

The Unsolved (FMV mystery) - English video clips - looks to have Mature content. On PS1

dammit. I didn't realize that. Ok.

Also, I think we can probably move this up to start in July if we place a handful of the super pricey games toward the tail end of the schedule. Once we nail down the 52 i'll put out a list.

I think that would be AWESOME.
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

Ack wrote:You guys gonna look into SHMUPs like Skull Fang, or perhaps some of the fighter variants like Virtua Fighter Kids: Java Tea Edition?

Skull Fang is on there - absolutely!

Didn't include the VF games as I feel like they are pretty well known...however, i'm not familiar w/the JTE...will look into.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Ack wrote:You guys gonna look into SHMUPs like Skull Fang, or perhaps some of the fighter variants like Virtua Fighter Kids: Java Tea Edition?

Skull Fang is listed in the OP.

Is Java Tea Edition really much different than the standard VF Kids game? I don't know anything about it.

@Mike: Why include the Clockwork Knight 1 & 2 JPN game when both games were released in the US? Is it substantially different enough to warrant playing it on top of the US games?
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I'll play Linkle Liver Story in the upcoming months and get back to you guys regarding how playable it is for non-Japanese speakers. (Unless someone here has already played it??)
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

noiseredux wrote:@Mike: Why include the Clockwork Knight 1 & 2 JPN game when both games were released in the US? Is it substantially different enough to warrant playing it on top of the US games?

It is an odd choice: it has six or seven minigames, a boss rush, and lets you play as the other knight, but I cant remember if there are any differences to the original two games.
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

noiseredux wrote:
Dezaemon 2 (shmup maker) - icon driven interface - I thought this was the same as Dezaemon Plus on PS1, but perhaps not. I'll include it.

Nope! Plus is a variation of Dezaemon 1. The 2nd game is a Saturn exclusive: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/dezaemon/dezaemon2.htm

And from everything in that article, seems like the second game is the definitive version.
Ack

Post by Ack »

noiseredux wrote:Is Java Tea Edition really much different than the standard VF Kids game? I don't know anything about it.

Actually VF Kids Saturn release was originally created to promote Java Tea and Energen energy drinks. The Java Tea Original Edition apparently plays the same as the later versions, but the later releases had all of the advertising removed. I'd say you guys should consider this one more of a novelty, but one worth at least giving a cursory glance to.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Ack wrote:
noiseredux wrote:Is Java Tea Edition really much different than the standard VF Kids game? I don't know anything about it.

Actually VF Kids Saturn release was originally created to promote Java Tea and Energen energy drinks. The Java Tea Original Edition apparently plays the same as the later versions, but the later releases had all of the advertising removed. I'd say you guys should consider this one more of a novelty, but one worth at least giving a cursory glance to.

gotcha. My way of thinking is that I already collect US Saturn games. So if a JPN version is 'basically the same thing,' then I can't see myself spending money on it in addition to the US version.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Well, if you guys want to try something entirely different, there's always Tokusou Kidoutai J SWAT, a Japan-only FPS for the Saturn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok2qxSC0_00

I'm not saying it's good, but it exists for fans of the genre. The briefings are in Japanese, but the missions mainly involve you going through and shooting all the bad guys.