Resurfacing Dreamcast GD-ROM discs

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Resurfacing Dreamcast GD-ROM discs

Post by noiseredux »

I had a scratched 360 disc that I tried toothpaste on. Did not help.
Ghudda
128-bit

Post by Ghudda »

Yeah CRT's guide is legit, but overall it's usually best to use a businesses high dollar machine instead of the homemade remedies. I've tried a lot of the oddities too; creamy peanut butter, tooth paste, etc. etc. and none of them really seem to work (or make a lot of sense). Since most people have a local used Move/Video Game store nearby, they almost always offer buffering services for a price under $5. I've been interested in investing in a machine, but I don't think i'd use it enough to justify the price-point (it also just seems like such a hassle). I think if you're serious about fixing it yourself, investing in one of those ~$100 machines is the way to go.
B/S/TCollectionYouTube

test3
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

Really the JFJ Easy Pro is probably one of the best investments I've made for my gaming collection. It's pretty much the best bang for your buck when looking at resurfacers for personal use. It's more then paid for itself and then some over the years.

http://www.amazon.com/JFJ-Video-Blu-Ray ... j+easy+pro

Discs come out looking brand new aside from a small wear ring in the center where the plastic nut holds the disc in place while it buffs. Other than that there are some insanely fine scratches from buffing but those are only visible in direct light and if you are really looking for them.
jbeedham
8-bit

Post by jbeedham »

Ziggy587 wrote:I thought GD-ROMs were basically just CDs, and it's the way the data is packed on the disc that requires a special drive to read. I even read once that the GD-ROMs in Dreamcasts are just modified CD drives.

But anyway, yeah, I wouldn't put toothpaste on a disc I cared about. If you wanna try a wacky internet suggestion, try peanut butter.

They are basically dual layer CD's.
AES | CDZ | Dreamcast | Duo | Genesis | NES | SNES | Xbox | 7800