Ok seriously, where have all the manuals gone?

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

Re: Ok seriously, where have all the manuals gone?

Post by Key-Glyph »

What I feel like I've been noticing is fewer solo manuals for all systems and fewer manual/cartridge combinations for games lacking hard cases. (I could be completely wrong, though, because I rarely keep on top of these trends.)

It's great that collectors are able to pull together the cart, manual, and box for a complete set, but... I don't care about the box. All I really want is the cartridge and booklet, so when all the pieces get pulled together and the price suddenly jumps, all I can think of is that I'm being asked to pay an extra $30+ for the inclusion of a piece of cardboard.

EDIT: Hah, I forgot this was the Sega subforum. Nevermind about my whining over other systems. I want the Genesis cases for sure.

BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

I think a big part of the newer stuff losing manuals and cases is a combination of people not taking care of their shit as others have stated as well as the fact that the bigger chains like gamestop don't value a loose game any higher then a CIB game.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

children
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

Where have all the cowboys gone?

Same with boxes, inserts, etc. Most people don't take care of their stuff.

Also...

BoneSnapDeez wrote:children

No! It's Parents, not children. Parents always told us that "You don't need that crap!" and asked/told us to throw away what we didn't use.
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

I remember vividly the day I got Super Smash Bros for the N64 I excitedly tore the box apart to get at the cart. Kids just see games as just games to play, it's just us adults who see the collectability in it.
Mad_Hatter
128-bit

Post by Mad_Hatter »

Snatch1414 wrote:Probably the most frustrating thing about collecting for the SMS and Genesis is the lack of CIB. I have no idea who loses these manuals. I mean I'm sure when I was a kid I lost.....one or two? If you don't care about the manual just keep it in the box. If you do care obviously you'd want to make sure it stayed with the case and game. I just don't understand how it seems like for every CIB game I find I see at least ten that don't have the manual.

Hardly any kids thought of a collector at a time. And those manuals were awfully loose. They never stood in place. They would bend around the spine of the case. They would move around. And eventually it would get more loose and the manual would start getting all wrinkly. It was just annoying. So lot of kids threw them out.

Maybe if Sega designed the cases to keep the manuals more tightly in place (like PS2 and 360 cases), we would have more today.

What's more annoying now is sellers on eBay selling games, cases, and manuals separately.
Old Username: sp957

Systems: Genesis, Super Nintendo, Saturn, Dreamcast, Playstation 2, Xbox 360, and Windows PC
Handhelds: Gameboy Advance SP, Nintendo DSi, and New Nintendo 3DS

My Trade Thread
Purkeynator
64-bit

Post by Purkeynator »

I went to Japan a couple months back and went to quite a few Book Off stores. What amazed me was not only all the disc based games complete with case and manual, but also the spine card too! They even put them in a plastic slip case just to house the slipcase.

CRTGAMER wrote:
Exhuminator wrote:
Gunstar Green wrote:a lot of people just don't take good care of their stuff
This is the gist of it.

I thought this would be a Thread on current games, most only have a digital limited time cloud manual!

Agree its the lazy U.S. consumer. Go to Japan or local BookOff, completely different how the public takes care of their games. As mentioned so many times, how difficult is it to put the stupid manual back in the case you lazy bastards!
marurun

Post by marurun »

I ate them. I'm sorry. I was hungry. What's a hungry bookworm to do?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Snatch1414
Next-Gen

Post by Snatch1414 »

Mad_Hatter wrote:What's more annoying now is sellers on eBay selling games, cases, and manuals separately.

You mean splitting up a manual and case of the same game to different auctions? I haven't encountered that yet. In general I'm glad people sell that stuff just so I can complete mine, but the prices are outrageous. Even the box I could see, but charging $20 for a manual for some semi-rare game is ridiculous.
Subscribe to the Snatch Gaming podcast on iTunes!
SnatchGaming.com
Twitter: @SnatchGames
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Snatch1414 wrote:
Mad_Hatter wrote:What's more annoying now is sellers on eBay selling games, cases, and manuals separately.

You mean splitting up a manual and case of the same game to different auctions? I haven't encountered that yet. In general I'm glad people sell that stuff just so I can complete mine, but the prices are outrageous. Even the box I could see, but charging $20 for a manual for some semi-rare game is ridiculous.

It happens less often than it used to, especially with Genesis games back when a complete copy often wasn't worth much more than a loose one.

Now complete copies often fetch a much higher price so parting games out doesn't make any sense anymore.