How's Your Sega MegaDrive/Genesis Gaming Going On?

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
stickem
Next-Gen

Re: How's Your Sega MegaDrive/Genesis Gaming Going On?

Post by stickem »

Speaking of new games coming out, I'm still waiting on xeno crisis. Anyone else?
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

I just got myself a Japanese Mega Drive, which I'm excited about. So far my only game is "Hono no Tokyuji: Dodge Danpei" which is a dodgeball game with some very fun anime aesthetics. Since I'm going to Japan in March, I wanted to be able to load up on games and now have to worry about transporting the console itself overseas.

I had been slacking with my Genesis gaming until pretty recently. About six or seven years ago, I cobbled together a component video setup for my Genesis (SCART to Component video, but with Sega CD for audio) but it was so unwieldy that I didn't like hooking it up in my apartment and I don't have space to leave it hooked up all the time. Another complication was my tendency to have the 32X hooked into it, but it's a little unreliable and so it took some finagling in order to get working. Just another thing that diminishes my motivation to play it.
So I recently got some component cables from HD Retrovision and it makes it SO MUCH EASIER to set up that I've been playing a lot more. Really a great console that I love deeply. And the fact that my new cables can be used with the Sega Master System and Saturn with adapters are a tremendous bonus.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

Nemoide wrote:"Hono no Tokyuji: Dodge Danpei"

I've always kind of wondered about this game. Is it anything like the Kunio-kun dodge ball games? Is it any good?

Curious why you decided to get a JP Mega Drive before going to Japan, though. I'll also be interested to see what you pick up. Be prepared for some eye-popping prices on Mega Drive games, if you're planning on doing any shopping in Akihabara. You'll want to look for Mandarake, Surugaya, and Hard-Off stores, in general. I really liked Trader, though. If you go to Super Potato at all, make sure it's the one in Ikebukuro (if it's even still there). The one in Akihabara is a waste of time. Of course, I'm just assuming that you're going to Tokyo. Recycle shops also sometimes (rarely) had interesting stuff in them, if you stumble across any.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

I haven't played that much of the game and embarassingly have not yet won a match but it's fun! I've never played another dodgeball game, so I can't compare it to Kunio-kun, but I'd recommend giving it a chance. Sports games in general aren't my forte, but this one really seems like a gem.

I wanted to get the Mega Drive before my trip for two reasons: 1) I was already using a proxy service for something else (a laserdisc set I had my eye on for a while) and 2) I'm PRETTY SURE I'm going to completely fill up my suitcase with junk I'll be buying while I'm over there (I have a lengthy list). This way I'll have peace of mind that I will have a working Mega Drive waiting for me at home and I can just concentrate on game-hunting! UNFORTUNATELY the MD seems to be having some trouble outputting RGB (the picture starts fine and then disappears after a few seconds) and so my component cables aren't working with it. It's probably just a matter of reflowing solder on the motherboard, but until I work up the nerve to try it I'll be satisfied with composite video.

I appreciate the tips! I've already been advised to go to Hard Off and to pretend that Super Potato is a museum with nothing for sale.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Has anyone ever had a cartridge just not work no matter what you do? I tried cleaning the contacts with a cotton bud and alcohol, but no luck :(

It's a second hand boxed copy of Gain Ground I picked up. My Mega Drive is clean and I rarely have issues playing any game. I'm annoyed, because in nearly 30 years of gaming I don't think I've ever come across a cartridge that won't work. Guess I'll ask for my money back and will pick up another copy some time.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

I've had two dead Genesis cartridges out of hundreds. Jewel Master and Forgotten Worlds. The only one that I know is notorious for breaking is Grind Stormer because it's on defective Tengen cartridges.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Gunstar Green wrote:I've had two dead Genesis cartridges out of hundreds. Jewel Master and Forgotten Worlds. The only one that I know is notorious for breaking is Grind Stormer because it's on defective Tengen cartridges.

Yeah, guess it's just bad luck. I wonder what causes them to fail or how people break them.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

My only bad luck with a cartridge was Street Fighter II: Special Champion Edition
I remember it displayed an error message, which I thought was strange because it meant SOMETHING was almost working, but I never managed to get the game running. (I think I ended up throwing out the cart which felt like a waste but I don't think there was anything else that could be done.)
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Aw, really? We've both got bad luck with Gain Ground, then, because I have a busted copy as well. I also have a few other dead carts: some tennis game I picked up, and the game earlier in this thread, Super Monaco GP.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

That sucks. I got impatient and just picked up a lone cart off Ebay. Hopefully when this one arrives, it works and I can just slap it in the box and chuck the dead one. It seems like an amazing game that I missed out on over the years. I only discovered it the other week.

There was a Sega Ages release in Japan on the Switch in December. Hopefully it gets a Western release!