DREAMCAST VGA QUESTIONS! come here for everything VGA w/ DC.

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
3style
8-bit

Post by 3style »

doctorfugue wrote:
3style wrote:Does anyone know if yu suzuki gameworks work with vga? I cannot boot it with DC-X.

Thanks.

Sorry, didn't see your question earlier.

Gameworks does work through VGA...although I am playing it on a Japanese Dreamcast and not with DC-X.

Same here now :D The dc-x didn't work on my PAL DC. It works now on my "new" JAP console.
goaferboy
16-bit

Post by goaferboy »

Someone asked if a PAL copy of Skies of Arcadia works through VGA. I can confirm that it does not. At least not the retail copy on an unmodded DC.

Annoyed me too, I ran all my consoles through a monitor due to having a plasma screen (I didn't like to risk screen burn). Finally got a VGA box for my DC, got it working with sound etc, only to be dissapointed when the only game I wanted to play didn't work. Ended up having to play on my mums bedroom TV.

All is well now though, I have an LCD TV.
God damn I hate the internet.
3style
8-bit

Post by 3style »

goaferboy wrote:Someone asked if a PAL copy of Skies of Arcadia works through VGA. I can confirm that it does not. At least not the retail copy on an unmodded DC.

Annoyed me too, I ran all my consoles through a monitor due to having a plasma screen (I didn't like to risk screen burn). Finally got a VGA box for my DC, got it working with sound etc, only to be dissapointed when the only game I wanted to play didn't work. Ended up having to play on my mums bedroom TV.

All is well now though, I have an LCD TV.

my advice, buy the US version. This one works with vga on a PAL system (boot loader). I had the same problem.
RemyC
64-bit

Post by RemyC »

I have a NTSC Dreamcast console, and my VGA box works with all of my NTSC games that it should. However i have a few Jap imports: Ikaruga, Rez, and Guilty Gear X. which i would normally use my utopia boot disc (Version 1.3) to play. Although when i put it through with my VGA box I don't get any video output, but i do get audio.
Is there a special way around this?
Do I need a different boot disc? If so, which one do you recommend?
3style
8-bit

Post by 3style »

RemyC wrote:I have a NTSC Dreamcast console, and my VGA box works with all of my NTSC games that it should. However i have a few Jap imports: Ikaruga, Rez, and Guilty Gear X. which i would normally use my utopia boot disc (Version 1.3) to play. Although when i put it through with my VGA box I don't get any video output, but i do get audio.

hmm that's weird. I have a DC-X botdisc and it works for two of your games, Rez i have pal.

I have bought a jap dc a few weeks ago for my jap games, its cheap, no swapping and kinda cool :P .
RemyC
64-bit

Post by RemyC »

3style wrote:
RemyC wrote:I have a NTSC Dreamcast console, and my VGA box works with all of my NTSC games that it should. However i have a few Jap imports: Ikaruga, Rez, and Guilty Gear X. which i would normally use my utopia boot disc (Version 1.3) to play. Although when i put it through with my VGA box I don't get any video output, but i do get audio.

hmm that's weird. I have a DC-X botdisc and it works for two of your games, Rez i have pal.

I have bought a jap dc a few weeks ago for my jap games, its cheap, no swapping and kinda cool :P .

Ive been looking around for the DC-X bootdisc, and i can only find sites that are telling me to pay for it....are there any VGA compatible boot discs that dont require me spending money?
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

RemyC wrote:
3style wrote:

Ive been looking around for the DC-X bootdisc, and i can only find sites that are telling me to pay for it....are there any VGA compatible boot discs that dont require me spending money?

DC-X is a retail product....
RemyC
64-bit

Post by RemyC »

racketboy wrote:
RemyC wrote:
3style wrote:

DC-X is a retail product....

Is there a boot disc available for free, that is compatible with a VGA box?
howardb

Post by howardb »

Hi,

I bought one of Racketboy's VGA boxes a while back, which works fine with my old CRT monitor, but refuses to work with my new LCD TV (I've checked all cables and connections; they're all fine - the TV just displays a black screen and says "no signal" every time I try it). I read somewhere that some HD TVs don't like VGA boxes, so was wondering if I might have more luck with a straight VGA cable instead. Anyone have any ideas?

EDIT - Or are the box and the cable basically the same thing?
Lythinca
8-bit

Post by Lythinca »

The cable will give the same result. You're getting that error because your HDTV cannot output 640x480 resolution. (Which is the resolution the dreamcast runs at.)

Newer Tv's and monitors don't usually do 640x480, as theres no need for them to output at that low of a resolution, yet older TV's and monitors do it that fine.

Try a different monitor/tv.