DREAMCAST VGA QUESTIONS! come here for everything VGA w/ DC.

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
howardb

Post by howardb »

Bugger. Thanks.
sturat

Post by sturat »

I'm thinking of buying an LCD monitor and I want it to work with my Dreamcast. My CRT monitor works great, but I just finished my Dreamcast shooter collection and I'd like to finally bite the TATE bullet. Anyway, I don't care whether the games play in a black box, but it needs to display every Dreamcast pixel in exactly 4 LCD pixels without a lot of hassle.

If you're happy with the LCD monitor you use with your Dreamcast, please tell me what kind you have. Thanks in advance, and sorry if this has been done before in another thread.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

I really like my Dell Ultrasharp, but it doesn't rotate the right way for Ikaruga (the only shmup I've tried vertical)
You can unmount it from the stand to turn it anyway you want, but the stand only rotates one way.
On the bright side, it has VGA, DVI, S-Video, and Composite input, so I can have my PC (DVI), Dreamcast (VGA), Saturn (S-Video), and one other machine hooked up to it without swamping cables. (I have an audio swtichbox to handle the sound going to my speakers)
Tancred
8-bit

Post by Tancred »

Goddamn moron eBay stores.

I didn't get my VGA boxes from Racketboy, I got it from 2 different eBay stores.

So here's my story. I ordered a VGA box from one store thinking I'd save a few bucks instead of ordering from Racketboy. It arrived broken. The switch was broken off.

So then I get the brilliant idea of sending this one back for a replacement, while at the same time ordering another VGA box from another store. I'll use one with my monitor and use the other one's s-video ports for my TV.

Well guess what?

That crap ALSO had a broken switch.

So I sent both back. I got one of the replacements today WITH A BROKEN SWITCH!!!

WHAT THE HELL IS WITH THESE MORONS?

Normal eBay sellers have the common sense to ship in bubbled envelopes but these shmucks just put it in anything, seal it without any protection, and off they ship.

The VGA boxes look exactly like the ones Racketboy is selling. The switch that toggles between PC and TV is broken off. Is there anything I could do?
Lythinca
8-bit

Post by Lythinca »

You could see if you could use something to move the switch. Yet if the actual switch itself is broken off (not just the plastic) you could try soldering another one on.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Tancred wrote:Goddamn moron eBay stores.

I didn't get my VGA boxes from Racketboy, I got it from 2 different eBay stores.

So here's my story. I ordered a VGA box from one store thinking I'd save a few bucks instead of ordering from Racketboy. It arrived broken. The switch was broken off.

So then I get the brilliant idea of sending this one back for a replacement, while at the same time ordering another VGA box from another store. I'll use one with my monitor and use the other one's s-video ports for my TV.

Well guess what?

That crap ALSO had a broken switch.

So I sent both back. I got one of the replacements today WITH A BROKEN SWITCH!!!

WHAT THE HELL IS WITH THESE MORONS?

Normal eBay sellers have the common sense to ship in bubbled envelopes but these shmucks just put it in anything, seal it without any protection, and off they ship.

The VGA boxes look exactly like the ones Racketboy is selling. The switch that toggles between PC and TV is broken off. Is there anything I could do?

I've seen the broken switches before myself, but before I packages them up I give the swtiches a good test. While I definitely feel your pain, you best bet it to contact the seller again and calmly explain your frustration with the broken replacement. Ask them to ship you another, tested one without you needing to send the dud back. Or at least ask for a refund.

I don't think they need a lot of padding as the box itself is quite sturdy. the swtiches don't typically break in transit. I usually find them broken when I get them from the manufacturer. As I mentioned, I check them in advance, and then I store the broken ones up so I can ship them back to the manufacturer a few at a time.

The problem isn't THAT common, so you definitely seem be getting unlucky here. And of course, the seller should do their best to prevent it.
Tancred
8-bit

Post by Tancred »

Hahaha oh boy am I lucky.

I didn't get a response or a replacement from one of the eBay stores, but the one I just got the replacement from said he checked to make sure the switch was intact before shipping.
Tancred
8-bit

Post by Tancred »

I just got the replacement from the 2nd eBay store and it work. Holy crap I just played Soul Calibur on my monitor. It looks amazing. Time to re-arrange my entire computer desk to make room for my Dreamcast and to hook it up to my 5.1 speakers :D
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Tancred wrote:I just got the replacement from the 2nd eBay store and it work. Holy crap I just played Soul Calibur on my monitor. It looks amazing. Time to re-arrange my entire computer desk to make room for my Dreamcast and to hook it up to my 5.1 speakers :D

hehe -- glad you got it up and working :)
LoneCynic
32-bit

Post by LoneCynic »

I got my VGA cable I ordered from you Racketboy. I had to go buy a VGA Monitor cord and an audio cord to go with it, and then I was all set. Now I have my Dreamcast hooked up to my HDTV, and it looks phenominal. Any tips for using my import boot disc with the VGA connection though? I have a DC-X Import Boot disc, and I wasn't able to get it to load.

I suggest anyone that has their Dreamcast setup with the VGA cable try playing Daytona USA on it, I never saw that game look so amazing.