DREAMCAST VGA QUESTIONS! come here for everything VGA w/ DC.

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Mad_Hatter
128-bit

Re: DREAMCAST VGA QUESTIONS! come here for everything VGA w/

Post by Mad_Hatter »

You guys think that seller is serious with the comparisons? Looks like he/she just saturated the colors on the "poor Chinese" cables.

Old Username: sp957

Systems: Genesis, Super Nintendo, Saturn, Dreamcast, Playstation 2, Xbox 360, and Windows PC
Handhelds: Gameboy Advance SP, Nintendo DSi, and New Nintendo 3DS

My Trade Thread
Redifer
128-bit

Post by Redifer »

Bangai-O can't be patched, can it? I just tried to play it and was denied! I hate interlaced video with a passion. Or is the game actually 240p or something? I don't want to hook up a non-VGA video cable just to find out.
Mad_Hatter
128-bit

Post by Mad_Hatter »

Redifer wrote:Bangai-O can't be patched, can it? I just tried to play it and was denied! I hate interlaced video with a passion. Or is the game actually 240p or something? I don't want to hook up a non-VGA video cable just to find out.

Yea. Looks like it is not patchable.

"(boots fine in top left of screen, game GFX bug/unplayable)"

Source:

http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php? ... -amp-Guide
Old Username: sp957

Systems: Genesis, Super Nintendo, Saturn, Dreamcast, Playstation 2, Xbox 360, and Windows PC
Handhelds: Gameboy Advance SP, Nintendo DSi, and New Nintendo 3DS

My Trade Thread
ArrYouGonnaEatThat

Post by ArrYouGonnaEatThat »

marurun wrote:
ArrYouGonnaEatThat wrote:
marurun wrote:The Evercool pulls .9 watts and operates at .18A. The original, per your information, is .7 watts and .2A. That's really not much difference at all.

That's what I thought, and it's why I got the Evercool. Do you think it's enough of a difference to cause this video signal cutoff problem?

Electronics at that level are a bit beyond my ken, but I'm going to guess probably not. That doesn't mean you didn't possibly induce a short somewhere when you installed it, though...

Thankfully, it turns out that wasn't the case. I got the brand new fan a few days ago, put it in the Dreamcast and it works like a charm! :mrgreen: I guess the slightly different specs of the Evercool were enough to make a difference after all.
theclaw
Next-Gen

Post by theclaw »

Redifer wrote:Bangai-O can't be patched, can it? I just tried to play it and was denied! I hate interlaced video with a passion. Or is the game actually 240p or something? I don't want to hook up a non-VGA video cable just to find out.

240p only. Bangai-O does not support 480i either.
Lum fan.
IrishNinja
64-bit

Post by IrishNinja »

can't remember if i ever put this out there, but - i have an XRGB into my plasma which lacks a VGA port, and i was using the monoprice VGA > HDMI adapter but it's not ideal. i found a dude on SHMUPS forum that modded my VGA box, now it works over SCART cables and even has a VGA switch for games that don't accept that signal (Bangai-O, Dion Crisis etc). so awesome.
jp1
Next-Gen

Post by jp1 »

Apologies if this has been addressed, but what is a good choice of vga monitor for the dreamcast? I really want to run in native resolution, and I prefer CRT. The problem is locating something that fits that description. I can find 4:3 lcd monitors at the local thrift shops, I even found a CRT...but I think it had a higher native res than that. Any particular models that are readily available and affordable?
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

jp1 wrote:Apologies if this has been addressed, but what is a good choice of vga monitor for the dreamcast? I really want to run in native resolution, and I prefer CRT. The problem is locating something that fits that description. I can find 4:3 lcd monitors at the local thrift shops, I even found a CRT...but I think it had a higher native res than that. Any particular models that are readily available and affordable?

Most VGA CRT monitors support the 640x480 resolution for the Dreamcast just fine. Best way to go to maintain Lightgun support when upgrading to VGA.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

jp1
Next-Gen

Post by jp1 »

CRTGAMER wrote:
jp1 wrote:Apologies if this has been addressed, but what is a good choice of vga monitor for the dreamcast? I really want to run in native resolution, and I prefer CRT. The problem is locating something that fits that description. I can find 4:3 lcd monitors at the local thrift shops, I even found a CRT...but I think it had a higher native res than that. Any particular models that are readily available and affordable?

Most VGA CRT monitors support the 640x480 resolution for the Dreamcast just fine. Best way to go to maintain Lightgun support when upgrading to VGA.

Thank you, but I was looking for specific recommendations. I don't want 640x480 to be supported but rather I'd like it to be the native resolution so no scaling is taking place.
marurun

Post by marurun »

jp1 wrote:Thank you, but I was looking for specific recommendations. I don't want 640x480 to be supported but rather I'd like it to be the native resolution so no scaling is taking place.

CRTs scale pretty seamlessly, unlike LCDs. In fact, some CRTs look better in lower resolutions than pushing their max. Also, CRT scaling has no lag AFAIK, since all it does is adjust display frequencies and doesn't use a scalar like an LCD. Just find a flat Trinitron or shadow mask CRT and you'll be fine. Trying to find a CRT screen that's fixed resolution or maxes out at 640 x 480 could turn into a fool's errand. I say this as someone who owned a fixed resolution screen for a time. An NEC, Hitachi, or Sony monitor would be a nice find. Viewsonics were nice as well. They all made CRTs for some time and have high quality units available if you can find them. Avoid some of the newer brands like Acer, AOC, etc... since by the time they entered the CRT market (near the end) they were using cheaper parts.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.