DREAMCAST VGA QUESTIONS! come here for everything VGA w/ DC.

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
geist
8-bit

Post by geist »

Just as a side: I actually got Evolution to work. I have to wait for it to boot and then switch over to VGA. Could this be because I'm using a VGA box and not a VGA cable? The back of the case does state that it is compatible with the VGA cable.
3style
8-bit

Post by 3style »

Does anyone know if yu suzuki gameworks work with vga? I cannot boot it with DC-X.

Thanks.
UW

Post by UW »

Hi, I bought one of those VGA cables. Played Soul Calibur on it and the picture is beautiful. I am, however, running it plugged into a 42" LCD TV at 1080p. When I run the console through the VGA input on the TV, it doesn't fit fully to the screen. There's a big black space on the left. I've tried playing with the TV settings but I can't seem to resolve it.

Any ideas what might be causing this? I am actually running a PAL DC, since I'm in the UK - not sure if that's relevant. Could just be an issue with my TV really. Mainly I'm wondering if anyone else has come across this issue.
Citizin
24-bit

Post by Citizin »

Hi, I'd like to know if the VGA Cables are even able to get sound. Looking at the picture from the store here, I do not see any audio cables so how are you supposed to get any sound at all without buying the VGA Box? Wouldn't that make the cable useless?

Also I am very familiar with non native resolutions running on LCD monitors looking like shit so wouldn't the Dreamcast have the same effect if it was plugged into say a 1280 x 1024 LCD monitor?
kidsampson
8-bit

Post by kidsampson »

I have one of those standard Dell CRT monitors that came with my desktop computer. I've been interested in getting a VGA box for my DC for some time now, but don't know exactly what I'm looking for? Are some better than others or do they all function the same? Are they expensive? Where might I be able to purchase one?
UW

Post by UW »

Citizin wrote:Hi, I'd like to know if the VGA Cables are even able to get sound. Looking at the picture from the store here, I do not see any audio cables so how are you supposed to get any sound at all without buying the VGA Box? Wouldn't that make the cable useless?

Also I am very familiar with non native resolutions running on LCD monitors looking like shit so wouldn't the Dreamcast have the same effect if it was plugged into say a 1280 x 1024 LCD monitor?

There's a 3.5mm jack coming out of it for sound.
Citizin
24-bit

Post by Citizin »

UW wrote:
Citizin wrote:Hi, I'd like to know if the VGA Cables are even able to get sound. Looking at the picture from the store here, I do not see any audio cables so how are you supposed to get any sound at all without buying the VGA Box? Wouldn't that make the cable useless?

There's a 3.5mm jack coming out of it for sound.

Ok, thank you.
3style
8-bit

Post by 3style »

kidsampson wrote:I have one of those standard Dell CRT monitors that came with my desktop computer. I've been interested in getting a VGA box for my DC for some time now, but don't know exactly what I'm looking for? Are some better than others or do they all function the same? Are they expensive? Where might I be able to purchase one?

The adapter(s) all do the same work. Compared to other consoles like the gamecube or the first xbox the Dreamcast is the only console designed from the outset to be capable of producing a VGA signal.
I have bought the 'standard' adapter from Racketboy (simple vga cable) and I also own a vgabox. They all display the same sharp picture.
kidsampson
8-bit

Post by kidsampson »

I know this sounds like a stupid question, but are all CRT monitors VGA compatible? I have a Dell Dimension 2400 budget PC with the standard included monitor. Will the VGA cable work with this poor setup? The monitor has a blue connector that attaches to the PC. And I apologize for my lack of education on this subject. Thanks.
Doctor Fugue
128-bit

Post by Doctor Fugue »

3style wrote:Does anyone know if yu suzuki gameworks work with vga? I cannot boot it with DC-X.

Thanks.

Sorry, didn't see your question earlier.

Gameworks does work through VGA...although I am playing it on a Japanese Dreamcast and not with DC-X.
"Your vessel, your beginning. All that you knew...is gone." - The Guardian of Forever