SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Re: How is your Dreamcast gaming going on?

by CD AGES Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:13 pm

Illbleed is a true gem on the Dreamcast. Certainly an aquired taste tho.
Alucard

by Alucard Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:49 pm

CD AGES wrote:Illbleed is a true gem on the Dreamcast. Certainly an aquired taste tho.

I agree completely. Spent a good 4 hours session playing last night and it was sort of “crazy” lol. What went through the devs mind during the game creation is beyond me. Despite its quirks; I had a blast; instead of running as quick as possible through each theater and possibly bleed to death; I had to slow down and switched to the 1st person view to find/disarm the traps. Definitely will visit it again in the near future.

Next up is Virtual On and Marvel vs Capcom.

Keep on gaming :D
My meager collection https://www.flickr.com/photos/152642275@N06 still updating
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:56 am

I've been doing my laundry at my parents' house and since they have a second TV with a VGA jack, I've hooked up my DC there for gaming while laundry-ing.
It's working out pretty perfectly! The greatest strength of the DC is its arcade ports and games you can just pick up and play to kill some time; I think Crazy Taxi might be the best example of this. That game is just total blast even though it lacks things people usually expect nowadays like a story/campaign mode or ANY source of replayability beyond some extremely difficult challenges in the "Crazy Box" (I'm probably never going to do them all, I'm okay with that). Mr. Driller is another favorite to sit down and kill a little time with.

I started playing my old save from Sonic Adventure again with the goal of getting all the remaining emblems. I racked up 124 "back in the day" and just got another yesterday, leaving me with only 5 more to go! I think I can do it, probably before the game's 20th anniversary in Japan (December 23). Four of the remaining emblems are speed-trials as Sonic, ONE is Emerald Coast as Big the Cat. If I manage to actually hook a fish that's large enough, it ends up escaping. I'll keep trying!

Also, now that the game is about 20 years old, I feel like Sonic Adventure deserves more appreciation than it gets for the risks it takes. Like, how ballsy was it to include as uncool a character as Big the Cat and make a significant part of the game revolve around FISHING? I understand why some folks didn't like it but I think those fishing levels can be fun and it's kind of neat how it's the kind of thing that will never show up in a Sonic game again.

One annoying things about the Dreamcast:
Having a VGA cable makes games look GREAT. This is how the DC *should* be played. Buuuuuut having a big chunk of games that are incompatible with VGA-output is SUPER ANNOYING. It means I need to pull out my crappy S-Video (or worse, composite) A/V cables and use them instead. It's a hassle I don't like dealing with; I just want everything to be compatible with VGA.
Reprise
Next-Gen

by Reprise Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:29 pm

Nemoide wrote:One annoying things about the Dreamcast:
Having a VGA cable makes games look GREAT. This is how the DC *should* be played. Buuuuuut having a big chunk of games that are incompatible with VGA-output is SUPER ANNOYING. It means I need to pull out my crappy S-Video (or worse, composite) A/V cables and use them instead. It's a hassle I don't like dealing with; I just want everything to be compatible with VGA.

Word. I've never understood why there is weird compatibility issues with VGA and developers had to code it into their games. All it is, is a resolution bump. right? Couldn't they have made it so all games were compatible. Some games actually do work with the VGA (I'm sure you're aware) and the developers ust forgot to code into the game for it to accept VGA. All you have to do do is either switch cables after the game loads or use a boot disc. But then numerous games cannot be forced to accept VGA. One of my favourite games, Bangai-O is one of them :(
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Ack

by Ack Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:08 pm

This is the reason I have yet to play Evolution on my DC, because of the compatibility issues.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Re: How is your Dreamcast gaming going on

by Reprise Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:16 pm

Preergo wrote:dude imagine buying all the dreamcast stuff on clearance at that time, broadband adapters, system shells etc. be worth a fortune now

I was there doing that at the time. Missed out on some stuff though, because I was trying to be so damn conservative and frugal because of the way my parents brought me up. Of course, nothing wrong with being careful with money, but in retrospect, I should have bought every last game that was on clearance. I remember passing up on JoJo's Bizarre Adventure brand new for like £3.99... idiot. Still, I got plenty of decent stuff at ridiculously low prices.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
IrishNinja
64-bit

by IrishNinja Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:25 pm

so, ive been wanting to get my DC back online for ages now - for one, i'd like to grab a few gamesaves off gamefaqs or elsewhere, assuming the browser wouldn't shit itself from modern pages, haha.

there used to be a topic on here that i'm clearly missing about using a raspberry pi and a makeshift adapter to get back online, which was the preferred way, as a) the LAN adapter is still like $200 and b) it has limited game support, whereas this method + this one site offered way more. i can't seem to find that topic or the dude that offered to make said adapter, sadly.

so this weekend, i'm gonna see if my landlie (VOIP) will support the stock DC modem, but i'm going in assuming it won't.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:40 pm

IrishNinja wrote:so, ive been wanting to get my DC back online for ages now - for one, i'd like to grab a few gamesaves off gamefaqs or elsewhere, assuming the browser wouldn't shit itself from modern pages, haha.

there used to be a topic on here that i'm clearly missing about using a raspberry pi and a makeshift adapter to get back online, which was the preferred way, as a) the LAN adapter is still like $200 and b) it has limited game support, whereas this method + this one site offered way more. i can't seem to find that topic or the dude that offered to make said adapter, sadly.

so this weekend, i'm gonna see if my landlie (VOIP) will support the stock DC modem, but i'm going in assuming it won't.

Check this out man:
https://youtu.be/9jo8jdvWrBA

Pretty sure you're referring to an old thread or comment of mine, but MVG released this video after. Hope it helps.

Correct in assuming your VoIP line highly likely won't work. Modem calls require POTS line era tech. Carriers were able to legally drop supporting the backend modem protocols years ago and most did so. I had a ton of business phone systems I took over with modem uplinks for remote access. They all pretty much stopped working around 2015ish & we moved to ethernet WAN uplink for remote programming.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
IrishNinja
64-bit

by IrishNinja Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:49 pm

^perfect! ordering with dreamcast live today, thanks so much man
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:58 pm

Anybody checked out these "ports"?
http://admin.retrorgb.com/dreamcast-ato ... ports.html

I guess they were made to run on whatever virtual disc drive the dreamcast uses. I burned a few on a cdr and the few I've tried run ok, I wouldn't pay for how the dreamcast handles them, long load times and slowdown city. Still neat to checkout I guess.
Return to Sega