SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: How is your Dreamcast gaming going on?

by Jagosaurus Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:51 pm

@nickfil, Have you seen Sega Chihiro games running on hardware modded (and dev kit) OG XBox? Another cool one.

@opa, let me know how flycast is. I recently picked up a Series X and know it runs DC emu really well in RetroArch. Have seen ppl running Flycast on there too. Like how it supports the similar arcade hardware.

... lol my grandma got me Blue Stinger for Christmas that year of release. Imagine my surprise when I heard the Christmas music in game lol. Also my first game to use an online FAQ for. I happened to discover it. Blew my mind back then.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
nickfil
Next-Gen

by nickfil Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:45 pm

marurun wrote:And I enjoy Blue Stinger more than RE.

opa wrote:^I actually enjoyed Carrier more than Code Veronica LOL

y'all are the kind of maniacs I can respect.

Jagosaurus wrote:@nickfil, Have you seen Sega Chihiro games running on hardware modded (and dev kit) OG XBox? Another cool one.

I heard about that. I'll be honest, I've got an original xbox but I haven't jumped into mods and stuff for it.
I'm very interested though. Eventually I'll get to it!
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:10 pm

marurun wrote:And I enjoy Blue Stinger more than RE.

Same playa.

Oh, and Napple Tale is AWESOME.
opa
128-bit

by opa Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:28 pm

Jagosaurus wrote:@opa, let me know how flycast is. I recently picked up a Series X and know it runs DC emu really well in RetroArch. Have seen ppl running Flycast on there too. Like how it supports the similar arcade hardware.

So far so good. I'm getting 60fps running at twice the native resolution. No graphical glitches in the six or seven games I've tested. If there's anything specific you want tested just let me know. If I can find the time I'll record some gameplay too.
FrankSerpico

by FrankSerpico Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:03 am

New to the forum and I've been getting back into gaming after a couple years lapse. Been loving the DC fighter library as of late, 3rd Strike and Guilty Gear X in particular. The graphics and animation in GGX look amazing to this day.
Segata
Next-Gen

by Segata Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:04 pm

Awesome. Got my hands on Giga Wing 2.
Curlypaul
Next-Gen

by Curlypaul Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:37 pm

Hey guys, its been a while!

Recently acquired a dc, had one years ago when I first started collecting amidst an influx of other things, so never gave it the attention it deserves.

Different now though, and I can finally get why people stare at it wistfully with thoughts of what if.

Funny to feel nostalgic for a system I never owned while current, and impossible of me to play Jet Set Radio without thinking of Racketboy
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:26 am

opa wrote:So far so good. I'm getting 60fps running at twice the native resolution. No graphical glitches in the six or seven games I've tested. If there's anything specific you want tested just let me know. If I can find the time I'll record some gameplay too.

Nice. Good to hear. The system still looks amazing upscaled.

Well... this thread got me to finally buy Sonic Adventure & the sequel on Xbox LOL. The true wide-screen mode added for SA2 got me, and I had to pick up the original (which is still 4:3). I was there on DC launch ... good times.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:47 am

Curlypaul wrote:Funny to feel nostalgic for a system I never owned while current, and impossible of me to play Jet Set Radio without thinking of Racketboy

I think the reason for this is that the Dreamcast encompasses that 97-2000 period very well in all forms from hardware to software. It really feels like from that era. Unlike a PS2 that still shares a very similar controller with PS5 and traveled through the years with retail releases all the way up to like 2010.

Last game released is PES 2014! bonkers! must be longest console to have retail releases
Curlypaul
Next-Gen

by Curlypaul Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:06 am

RCBH928 wrote:
Curlypaul wrote:Funny to feel nostalgic for a system I never owned while current, and impossible of me to play Jet Set Radio without thinking of Racketboy

I think the reason for this is that the Dreamcast encompasses that 97-2000 period very well in all forms from hardware to software. It really feels like from that era. Unlike a PS2 that still shares a very similar controller with PS5 and traveled through the years with retail releases all the way up to like 2010.

Last game released is PES 2014! bonkers! must be longest console to have retail releases

I think you are right, it was on the cusp of games changing into the modern era but still a heavy emphasis on arcade ports and stuff that tied it to the past.

I'm still loving my new Dreamcast, got sucked into Tomb Raider 4 which I only loaded up to check it worked. Great game, I wish they'd do a new one in the same style
Return to Sega