SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Let's name the Top 200 Genesis games

by Gamerforlife Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:16 am

I'm throwing down the challenge. I think it can be done, as our top 100 list is missing some great games. For anyone new to these threads we've been doing, some good ground rules would be:

1)One pick per post
2)Once you post a game, let one or two other people post before you nominate another game
3)Try to number your entry
4)This is optional, but comments and pics elevate the thread above similar top whatever threads that you see on other sites and forums.

*IMPORTANT*
We have one unlicensed game and two pirate games that made it on the list. However, we are not accepting any more unlicensed or pirate nominations as it is intended for this thread to show the large library of quality, official games available for the Genesis. However, we may discuss unlicensed or pirate games after we hit 200 to present even more playing options for Genesis fans.

1. Panorama Cotton

ImageImageImageImage

One of the most technically impressive games on the system that did amazing things with the hardware. It's pretty much Starfox for the Genesis, a rail shooter that that goes beyond what you thought the hardware could do. How can one NOT have this game on a best Genesis games of all time list. This cute em'up plays like Space Harrier and is full of amazing visual effects. It's also one of the rarest games on the console. The Cotton games on the Sega Saturn are awesome too, but not as technically ambitious as they are 2D side scrollers and the Saturn can do 2D in its sleep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jcx_O6yAYQ
Last edited by Gamerforlife on Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:42 am, edited 5 times in total.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
flojocabron
Next-Gen

Re: Top 200 Genesis games

by flojocabron Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:24 am

Ranger-X/EX-Ranza

An Intersting shooter with graphics that were quite intersting for the time. Its intro had a starfox-like feel for it. But its mostly a 2D side shooter.

The controls are a little different depending if you have a three or six button.

heres hardcoregaming 101's take on it.

http://hardcoregaming101.net/rangerx/rangerx.htm
2600 and jr,5200,nes/top loader, master system, intellivision, TG-16, genesis 1,2,3, SNES, snesJR, CDX, 3DOfz10, gamegear, gameboy and pocket, GBC, sega saturn, PSOne w/screen, Virtual Boy, N64, NGPC, Gameboy Advance sp, Dreamcast, Black Dreamcast, oXBOX, Playstation 2, PStwo, Gamecube, gameboy player, DS lite,DSi XL, PSP1000/3000,Wii,PS3 120gb,3DSXL, xbox 360, PSvita, PS4
AznKhmerBoi
Next-Gen

by AznKhmerBoi Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:32 am

Ristar

ImageImage
DsLite Wii 3DS PS3fatYLOD GenesisModel1 SegaSaturnDreamcast SNES NES Ps1 N64 WiiU "black" PS4
NintendoSwitch(GreyCons)GBA SP 101 (Spongbob Model)Gameboy Color (Blue) (Spongbob Model)Gameboy Color (LimeGreen) (Spongbob Model)Xbox One (OriginalFatRelease)

PSN- jacktsang05
WiiU- jacktsang05

Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:01 pm

1. Panarama Cotton
2. Ranger-X/EX-Ranza
3. Ristar
4. The Adventures of Batman and Robin

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

I'm gonna say quite a bit on this one being the Bat fan that I am. Not everyone is aware that the SNES and Genesis versions of this game are both very different. There's also yet another completely different game going by the same name on the Sega CD that contains so-called "lost" animated footage not seen in the cartoon. Anyway, for a real BATMAN game, seek out the SNES game. For one of the best run n gun games on the Genesis that just happens to have Batman characters shoe-horned into it, seek out this game. I always love to point out the irony of a run and GUN game about a hero who hates guns and never kills. Anyway....

This game seems like a cousin to Gunstar Heroes in a couple of ways. In addition to your "bullets", which are actually batarangs, you have melee moves at your disposal. You also have a health bar and, also like Gunstar Heroes, there is a scrolling shooter level where you use the Bat Glider. Plus, your weapons are upgradeable so you can have a souped up version of a certain "gun" like you can in GH. The game certainly draws more from Treasure's masterpiece than it does from Contra or Metal Slug. In fact, it basically is just Gunstar Heroes with Batman. Fortunately, that means there's two player co-op and that also means you can play as Robin. The game is notoriously difficult. However, speaking as someone who has beaten it years ago, it's doable if you power up the right weapon and keep it throughout the game. If you die and lose your powered up gun, just reset the game. Memorizing the stages a bit helps too. The game is worth playing all the way through for its graphics and sound, which I'm getting to next

The graphics, while not beautifully animated in the style of the cartoon like the SNES version, are still pretty damn impressive. This is another one of those technically impressive Genesis titles that shows off what the system can do with some cool visual effects. A nice showcase game for the system. If there's one thing I can say for both the SNES and Genesis versions of this game, there are among both systems' best looking games

The music is great stuff. It's done by Jesper Kyd who has worked on movies and other games like Borderlands and Assassins Creed II. It's an electronic sounding soundtrack that is very dark, sinister, manic and edgy. I'd say this is the one aspect of the game that fits the license the most as the feel of the music really fits the kind of insane, dangerous city that Gotham is. Why the hell do people live there? This is the kind of edgy sounding music that sounds right at home on the Genesis too. The console's always had a certain rawness and edginess that made it different from the SNES.

Overall, I'd say this is one of the best Run n Guns on the system. Why it doesn't get as much attention as Contra Hard Corps or Gunstar Heroes is either because of the false myth that most Batman games suck, or perhaps because most people could never get past the game's high level of difficulty. For me, this is one of those games where beating it felt like a badge of honor (and I did it with the boy wonder too!)

A few videos to show off the nice visuals:

Check out the building fires in the first level. They look awesome
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eqVfB3UwwQ
One of the game's best boss battles(Amazing music track in this fight too)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n_eHN-ArK8
Another cool boss featuring another one of my favorite songs from the game
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcmSxIUbVLE

Those videos show some skilled play too, just to prove that this game isn't impossible to play through

Kickass song from the OST:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou4g5BfjRkQ
Last edited by Gamerforlife on Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
BurningDoom
Next-Gen

Re: Let's name the Top 200 Genesis games

by BurningDoom Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:35 pm

1. Panarama Cotton
2. Ranger-X/EX-Ranza
3. Ristar
4. The Adventures of Batman & Robin
5. X-Men 2: Clone Wars
ImageImage
Game Trade/Want List:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28206

Consoles Owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Super GB, N64, Gamecube, GB Player, Wii, Sega Power Base Converter, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, TurboGrafx-16, PlayStation, PS2 Slim, XBox, XBox 360, Game Boy, GBC, GBA-SP, DS, Game Gear, GG Master Converter
SwooshBear
Next-Gen

by SwooshBear Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:43 pm

Streets of Rage

This is the one genesis game that I can not stop playing once I start. Very good beat em up and probably my all time favorite genesis game.
Incognito D wrote:Mere months after buying my original GBA, Nintendo trolled me hard by releasing the SP.

Check me out on twitter: SwooshBear742
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:46 pm

7. The Ren & Stimpy Show presents Stimpy's Invention

ImageImage

This is the only Ren & Stimpy game I've played and I had fun with it. It's a decent little platform game that captures some of the humor and wackiness of the show and from the guys who did the Vectorman games. The graphics do a decent enough job in capturing the look of all the characters from the show. I like the audio clips like Ren going "mine!" whenever he grabs something. The way the two use each other in the game is funny. You have to use teamwork to get through the game. The way they interact may be the funniest part of the game. It's funny slapping Stimpy and calling him a stupid idiot :lol: There's some nice references to the show like any proper licensed game should have, like falling into a pit and being rescued by Powdered Toast Man! Some people complained about the game's difficulty. Those people just suck at gaming :lol:

In all seriousness, it's not that tough once you know what you're doing. People overrate the difficulty of a lot of 8-bit and 16-bit era games. I probably wouldn't put this on a shorter list of great Genesis games. It's certainly not among its top tier titles and it's pretty short. Plus, your enjoyment of the game may be affected by whether or not you're a fan of the show, but it's not a bad little licensed game in my opinion and there's plenty of room on this list for it. I really enjoyed a lot of licensed games in the 16-bit era.

Here's an old review a forum member did

http://racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=9232
Last edited by Gamerforlife on Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
flojocabron
Next-Gen

by flojocabron Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:01 am

here's another for our list.

Aero The Acrobat 2

This game came out for snes too, but its still a good 2D platformer.
2600 and jr,5200,nes/top loader, master system, intellivision, TG-16, genesis 1,2,3, SNES, snesJR, CDX, 3DOfz10, gamegear, gameboy and pocket, GBC, sega saturn, PSOne w/screen, Virtual Boy, N64, NGPC, Gameboy Advance sp, Dreamcast, Black Dreamcast, oXBOX, Playstation 2, PStwo, Gamecube, gameboy player, DS lite,DSi XL, PSP1000/3000,Wii,PS3 120gb,3DSXL, xbox 360, PSvita, PS4
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

by GSZX1337 Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:16 am

9. SplatterHouse 3

The finale to the original trilogy ditches the linear style of the previous games in favor of Double Dragon-esque gameplay which in my opinion is a big improvement. The branching paths, multiple endings, and secret levels greatly encourage additional playthroughs.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:31 am

10. Batman the Video Game

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

So this one was based on the Tim Burton movie and it was a pretty solid game for its time. It was made by Sunsoft, who did the excellent NES game, and published by Sega. People actually caught wind of the japanese version of the game through gaming mags long before it hit US shores and there was a lot of demand for it to come stateside. It was a basic action platform game. You punch out thugs, use your grappling hook to get around, and take out a boss or two. Not groundbreaking, but well designed, with excellent controls. There were also cool levels where you got to use the Batmobile and Batwing as well. Those were a lot of fun. I also like that a bunch of the bosses are recognizable from the movie

The graphics were excellent for the time and there were some nice looking cut scenes

AWESOME soundtrack, just listen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZRFRjuGAcg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDnbXtrPeIQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6aZsRdLbqw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-dRgTmaC6o

The story accurately followed the movie too, which was nice. Overall, a very solid game and I remember it being well received critically. It's not a mind blowing game by today's standards, particularly compared to The Adventures of Batman and Robin, but it's still playable, is as faithful to the movie as you could want, and has a still impressive soundtrack
Last edited by Gamerforlife on Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Return to Sega