Dreamcast VGA box vs VGA cable?

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: Dreamcast VGA box vs VGA cable?

Post by Xeogred »

Also not to derail this thread too much, but I figured I'd quickly ask... is there any kind of composite/S-video to VGA/HDMI/component cables or anything that could maybe be used with the Nintendo systems (SNES-GC)?

Just really, really wish my damn HDTV supported S-video now. :evil: :lol:
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Xeogred wrote:Also not to derail this thread too much, but I figured I'd quickly ask... is there any kind of composite/S-video to VGA/HDMI/component cables or anything that could maybe be used with the Nintendo systems (SNES-GC)?

Just really, really wish my damn HDTV supported S-video now. :evil: :lol:

noise pointed this box out to me, worked out pretty well for the N64. The pic is still S-Video but it does work with a computer monitor. Might work on your VGA input HDTV.

http://www.amazon.com/INNOVATION-TECHNO ... pd_sxp_f_i

I reviewed this box at my CRT vs LCD signature link.

CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

I would say because of Gun Bird 2, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Bangai-O, and Bust-a-Move 4 you'll want to be sure you can output via S-Video or Composite.

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/2006/05/ ... -list.html

which redirects to:

http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php? ... ility-list
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
Captainvans
16-bit

Post by Captainvans »

Most of the famous games support VGA, if not I'm pretty sure there's a workaround trick or bootdisc to make Non-Suppported games run on VGA mode.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

All of Tuxthewise's DCRES releases work on the VGA box.
I used his release to play Evolution since the retail disc wont work on the VGA box with the RCA and S-Vid.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
shmupBaker

Post by shmupBaker »

Either way. I recommend the Blaze VGA box. It has the best quality image of all VGA box or cable I have ever used for the DC. It even has passthrough for video (composite and s-video) and audio (digital and analog) just in case the game you're playing doesn't support VGA output.
almmiron

Post by almmiron »

sevin0seven wrote:also, i would love to note the s-video quality on that VGA box is much superior compare to a regular s-video cable for the Dreamcast.

Sorry ressurect, but still think there is a discussion.
Do you have a youtube video or know of one that shows this statement? Its news for me. WTF the box exactly do then?
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

Post by Cronozilla »

It's perfectly possible that the VGA box he has is better at creating the S-Video signal than the chipset in the Dreamcast. It would likely be going from the VGA source.

There's also that VGA box that falls back to RGB when it isn't supported.