SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
slk486
8-bit

Sega Saturn language settings

by slk486 Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:57 pm

I just got my new Japanese Saturn working, but can't find the setting for the menu language.

Any pointers?
NES (PAL), NES (US), SNES (US), Turbo Duo-R (RGB), Megadrive 1 (PAL with 50/60 switch), Megadrive 2 (PAL), PSX with chip (PAL), PS2 softmodded with HDD (PAL), PS3, Xbox classic with chip x 2, Gamecube (PAL), Wii, Dreamcast (PAL), Xbox360, Sega Saturn Derby Edition.
optmusprimenumber
Next-Gen

Re: Sega Saturn language settings

by optmusprimenumber Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:05 pm

learn japanese. ha. just kidding... try taking the battery out and then putting it back in, then when you boot up the system i think it will let you choose a language, after you set the time. good luck.

i found this too, if it helps: http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/sh ... d=27266090
slk486
8-bit

by slk486 Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:28 pm

optmusprimenumber wrote:learn japanese. ha. just kidding...

Yeah, I wish :lol:

It didn't ask, but I found the setting by using my great ability of luck :)
NES (PAL), NES (US), SNES (US), Turbo Duo-R (RGB), Megadrive 1 (PAL with 50/60 switch), Megadrive 2 (PAL), PSX with chip (PAL), PS2 softmodded with HDD (PAL), PS3, Xbox classic with chip x 2, Gamecube (PAL), Wii, Dreamcast (PAL), Xbox360, Sega Saturn Derby Edition.
scarper
128-bit

by scarper Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:28 pm

Turn on the console without a disc inside. In the main system menu, select the icon in the top-center (has an underscore looking thing with an arrow above it.) It should go to a different menu, with two purple bars on the bottom of the screen (probably in kanji text.) The purple bar on the right should be System Settings. Then, in that menu, select the option second down from the top. Then pick English (the word English won't be in kanji.)

After that, you should be good. If your save battery is dead, you will need to do this every time you turn on your console until you put in a fresh save battery.

Good luck!! :D
slk486
8-bit

by slk486 Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:30 pm

scarper wrote:Turn on the console without a disc inside. In the main system menu, select the icon in the top-center (has an underscore looking thing with an arrow above it.) It should go to a different menu, with two purple bars on the bottom of the screen (probably in kanji text.) The purple bar on the right should be System Settings. Then, in that menu, select the option second down from the top. Then pick English (the word English won't be in kanji.)

After that, you should be good. If your save battery is dead, you will need to do this every time you turn on your console until you put in a fresh save battery.

Thanks for the detailed explanation! I found it by clicking on anything and everything :)
saturnfan
128-bit

by saturnfan Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:44 pm

I had a regular Saturn for years, so I know how to navigate the menu in Japanese just from memory. But it is not like it has done anything for me, its not like it changes any of the text in the games :(
slk486
8-bit

by slk486 Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:06 pm

saturnfan wrote:I had a regular Saturn for years, so I know how to navigate the menu in Japanese just from memory. But it is not like it has done anything for me, its not like it changes any of the text in the games :(

I know, I just wanted the options and cd player in english :)
scarper
128-bit

by scarper Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:45 pm

slk486 wrote:
scarper wrote:Turn on the console without a disc inside. In the main system menu, select the icon in the top-center (has an underscore looking thing with an arrow above it.) It should go to a different menu, with two purple bars on the bottom of the screen (probably in kanji text.) The purple bar on the right should be System Settings. Then, in that menu, select the option second down from the top. Then pick English (the word English won't be in kanji.)

Thanks for the detailed explanation! I found it by clicking on anything and everything :)

Yeah, thats pretty much how I did it. ^_^ I must've squealed when I finally saw the word "English"
gennss
128-bit

by gennss Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:16 pm

you guys are a god send. I had no idea this was even possible. w00t
--
Gennss
--
UberScooberDiver

by UberScooberDiver Wed May 18, 2022 10:10 pm

Turn on the console without a disc inside.
If you get the date/time set screen, press the right direction until you have highlighted the bottom-right symbol then press A.
In the main system menu, select the icon that looks like a box with up-down arrow inside.
Next screen, choose bottom-right option.
In the next menu, select the item in the center (it’s the 2nd option)
Pick English (is not kanji) then select Exit.
Return to Sega