Assault Suit series appreciation

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
wip3outguy7
Next-Gen

Assault Suit series appreciation

Post by wip3outguy7 »

I picked Assault Suit Leynos 2 a few years ago and it sat on my shelf, collecting dust, as my Pro Action Replay 4 in 1 died before it arrived. A year later I found another PAR 4 in 1 and was able to play it. I gave up after stage 4 and you will know why if you have gotten that far in the game.

It's a game I meant to revisit but never got around to it. So I started playing it again last week to keep me busy until Bulk Slash arrived. I started taking it seriously and finally figured out the ranking, armor and add-on systems - for the most part. So far I've beaten it several times and it's now probably my favorite game in the Assault Suit series.

Any other fans? Feel free to share your opinions, tips, tricks and videos in this thread.
Last edited by wip3outguy7 on Sat May 17, 2014 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
corn619
Next-Gen

Re: Assault Suit Leynos 2 appreciation

Post by corn619 »

I loved Cybernator and Gun Hazard play it to death. I've tried Assault Suit Leynos 2 and for some reason I just can't get into it as much as I did with Cybernator and Gun Hazard. The mech in Assault Suit Leynos 2 just didn't have that same feel that the mechs in Cybernator and Gun Hazard had. I love these kind of games maybe I should give it a second chance. I only played the first level, and then something came up and never went back to it for some reason. You know what, I'm gonna play it right now.
wip3outguy7
Next-Gen

Post by wip3outguy7 »

After the first level is completed you can switch suits to the original Leynos. I haven't used it much but I assume it will feel more familiar. I unlocked the Valken from Cybernator/Assault Suit Valken and it feels almost exactly like its SNES counterpart.
wip3outguy7
Next-Gen

Post by wip3outguy7 »

Ok, I beat it again. This is my 3rd or 4th time. I unlocked all but two of the suits. Oddly, I didn't unlock the 3rd suit this time around which is a variant on the Leynos models with nearly all stats maxed out. The other suit that remains locked is the last one. I have yet to unlock it on any of my play-throughs.

I unlocked nearly all of the weapons and items this time. Just over half of the armor was unlocked (you get some pretty powerful armor if you keep your rank up).

So with that I'll segue into this: How the hell does the ranking system work? Just when I think I have it all figured out I get hit with some mysterious penalty at the end of a stage. I know damage taken plays a role - though not as big a role as I initially thought.

Ranking appears to be affected by a few things:

-damage taken
-enemies killed
-amount of damage done to bosses (did you outright kill it or did you take it apart piece by piece)
-time (maybe)
-ammunition used (maybe a penalty)
-type of weapon used (maybe a penalty)

Does anyone have any insight into this? The lack of online faqs or guides on this game really means you have to go it alone.

If anyone speaks Japanese and feels like translating, I can send scans/pics of the instruction booklet.
Flake

Post by Flake »

I was not aware of these games until just now. I've been gravely in error and need to fix this. These games look freaking amazing!
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
wip3outguy7
Next-Gen

Post by wip3outguy7 »

I started threads on gamefaqs and shmups. I got a reply on shmups from JoshF directing me to this link: http://www.gamengai.com/forum/viewtopic ... 5af066c916

sven666 states:
you need to be quick and accurate (but mostly quick).

the best way is to get a good score on teh first stage (shotgun that spider from pointblank) so you can get a decent gun straight away, the rest is a cakewalk if you do.

I absoluteley love everything about this game except teh fact that its waaaaaay to short and easy Sad im a huge "assault suits" fan on the whole actually.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

I played both Assault Suits: Leynos games a while ago. The first one kind of sucked. The second one is way better, but I wish there was a translation for this game. Are there unlockable missions? I read on a FAQ that there might be unlockable missions, but he sucked too hard to unlock them if they're there.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
wip3outguy7
Next-Gen

Post by wip3outguy7 »

Nope, no unlockable missions on any of my play-throughs. The game loops when you beat it and you keep everything you unlocked. However, nothing unlocks on the 2nd play-through so you are stuck with what you have. The 2nd loop's overall difficulty appears to be affected by how well you played in the first play-through. Not that it matters. You will usually end up with weapons that will cut through most of the stages like butter after beating the final boss - no matter how poorly your performance through the first completion.

The only way to unlock everything is by playing through the game with the highest possible rank on all stages the first time around. And actually, getting an A rank in every stage may not even be enough. The points you receive from enemies killed and time completed don't appear to have anything to do with the rank. Points appear to have a strong hand in the amount of items unlocked and their quality.

Even more confusing, there are 3 profile slots that you select from when starting a game. There is no way to erase (that I have found) one of the profiles if you want to start a new game after all slots are filled. This means you will have to erase your entire game save, all profiles included, to start a fresh game.

The game appears to have a difficulty ranking system in place. The better you play, the stronger the enemies the game throws at you. Ranking up appears to happen on the fly. I have played well enough in some levels to see bosses appear differently and to see harder enemies appear that normally do not.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I've only played a little, but I did enjoy it. Then this morning I saw this on 1up:

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3178080

Looks like a new Assault Suit-style game.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

MrPopo wrote:I've only played a little, but I did enjoy it. Then this morning I saw this on 1up:

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3178080

Looks like a new Assault Suit-style game.

Hmm, looks interesting. From the new publisher (I guess they're new, I couldn't find any information on Dracue) I'm guessing that it's a game made by fans of the Assault Suits games, or maybe a spiritual successor.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|