SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
msimplay
64-bit

Re: Grandia Saturn Translation Patch?

by msimplay Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:19 pm

Original_Name wrote:
msimplay wrote:
marurun wrote:romhacking.net also has lots of information on hacking/translating. They also have individuals who might be able to be recruited.

If you just copy the PSX text then you're still suffering a poor translation, though.

It's not all about the translation though the Sega Saturn version of the game was also much better graphically.

I would LOVE to see this happen, but I think the biggest problem will be getting people to do so much work for a translation that already exists on another platform.

I would have thought it would have made it easier for them to translate as Shining force 3 has been translated now they just fixing it up for translation errors.

Maybe they could use the Shining force technology to simply transfer the existing PSX dialog into the Sega Saturn version of the game.
I'm not after a perfect translation as purists would want it just a chance to play the better version of the game.
I tried with a translation txt file but man that was cumbersome to say the least.
Original_Name
Next-Gen

by Original_Name Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:19 am

Hell, maybe you're right. I asked someone about it myself about a year ago and the overwhelming response was that stuff like this is HHAARRDD. If someone with alot of know-how gets behind it, I'd volunteer to do some grunt work if I was able. But who knows? I've always felt really spurned by the fact that Grandia never got translated (Grandia was actually the first game I ever imported back in 1998 -- I read an article saying that it should be played regardless of the language gap, but I just couldn't play an RPG like that without knowing the nuances of the story), so it would be kinda huge for me if the mistakes of yesteryear were corrected in a way.
msimplay
64-bit

by msimplay Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:41 am

Original_Name wrote:Hell, maybe you're right. I asked someone about it myself about a year ago and the overwhelming response was that stuff like this is HHAARRDD. If someone with alot of know-how gets behind it, I'd volunteer to do some grunt work if I was able. But who knows? I've always felt really spurned by the fact that Grandia never got translated (Grandia was actually the first game I ever imported back in 1998 -- I read an article saying that it should be played regardless of the language gap, but I just couldn't play an RPG like that without knowing the nuances of the story), so it would be kinda huge for me if the mistakes of yesteryear were corrected in a way.

I probably read the same Article or similar in Sega Saturn Magazine UK.
Yeah the end of life in Saturn in the west was a big let down for me especially since most of the most anticipated games towards the end just ended up left as Japan only releases.
I really wanted to play Dead or alive , Virtua Fighter 3 , Shining force scene 2 and 3 , Radiant Silvergun, Shen Mue, Dragon force 2.

The Sega Saturn was awesome I suppose that these games were released too late.
Original_Name
Next-Gen

by Original_Name Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:15 pm

Well, you're in luck for Shining Force III: Scenarios II and III and Dragon Force 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_im1sjilJqI

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.p ... 089.0.html

Regarding Virtua Fighter 3, I've always been okay with its absence -- I'd rather play the crazy Fighters Megamix anyway. :)
Satoshi_Matrix
Next-Gen

by Satoshi_Matrix Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:03 am

I would love to see a Grandia patch as much as anyone, but I won't hold my breath. Saturn hacking is exceedingly difficult...
msimplay
64-bit

by msimplay Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:36 pm

Original_Name wrote:Well, you're in luck for Shining Force III: Scenarios II and III and Dragon Force 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_im1sjilJqI

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.p ... 089.0.html

Regarding Virtua Fighter 3, I've always been okay with its absence -- I'd rather play the crazy Fighters Megamix anyway. :)

I already have the patches for the Shining force scenarios 1 2 and 3 I've been following the site since it was announced and thanks for the news on Dragon force.

Btw I played Fighters Megamix today and it's a lot better than I remember it. I think when I first played the game I had a lot of high hopes for it and the hype exceeded the game but I really like the game now.

I always wanted Virtua Fighter 3 to come out on the Sega Saturn it would have proved all the nay sayers wrong which was so important back then in the PSX vs Saturn era. Sega's console was the underdog but became my preferred console simply because it had the games I wanted to play like Virtua Fighter 2 , Sega Rally etc. I mean I know that it wouldn't have been able to compete with might of the Arcade version but just having it on the Sega Saturn would have been something to see because we know that it would have taken every ounce of power from the console to make it happen.
I was happy with the Dreamcast version but having it on the Saturn would have meant so much more to me as a loyal Sega Saturn owner in those days.

But sadly in the end the Sega Saturn became the console of disappointment for me because so many of the great end of life games remained Japan Imports and many of them untranslated.
Ah well at least we got some good games in the end like Shining force 3 scenario 1, Last Bronx, Sonic R and Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Sega made some daft decisions which stopped great games from coming out
flybarber11

by flybarber11 Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:38 pm

hey guys, I know this is random, but has there been any new developments on this one? I'm about to pick up Grandia on the Saturn and just wondered if there was any hope. Thanks!
Original_Name
Next-Gen

by Original_Name Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:43 am

No luck so far, man. I've actually started learning Japanese since this thread started. The good news is that Dragon Force II is pretty close to getting a full English translation, and I believe the entire Shining Force III trilogy has been completed. There's also alot of speculation that the people who translated Policenauts for the PlayStation will move on to the Saturn version next. I'd love to see Grandia, Sakura Taisen, Princess Crown, Radiant Silvergun, and the Lunar titles get translated as well as a couple more obscure ones like Far East of Eden IV: The Apocalypse and Tales of the Seven Windblast Islands. I think of those, Radiant Silvergun has the best chance -- Sakura Taisen may have a shot, although a translation of the Dreamcast version seems more likely.

Unfortunately, the demand for Grandia is pretty low since it did get an English PlayStation port, although the original Saturn version outclasses it in every way imaginable. To me, it was a matter of principle, since Grandia was actually the first game I ever imported back in 1998 and was gutted to find that I just couldn't get much enjoyment out of it because of the language barrier. I was so scorned that I didn't even want to play it on PlayStation. That said, I don't think many people still feel scorned by it, so it'd be difficult to get a large group dedicated to the difficult task of re-translating a game that's already been translated specifically for one of the most convoluted console architectures in existence.
The Dealer of Fruit

by The Dealer of Fruit Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:08 am

No, the demand isn't that low :D I'd also like a translation/text insertion very much!

Grandia is just so fucking great. Replaying it with smoother graphics and higher resolution would be very nice! :D
Reprise
Next-Gen

by Reprise Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:59 am

I'd love a Grandia translation, but I have to agree the demand is understandably fairly low. Besides, I've actually got a lot of enjoyment out of it and I don't understand a word of Japanese... I don't find the language barrier is too great on this game. It's a very simple and accessible RPG.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Return to Sega