SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Gucci
64-bit

Sega delisting older Sonic games ahead of Origins collection

by Gucci Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:22 pm

https://www.eurogamer.net/sega-delisting-standalone-versions-of-sonic-1-2-3-and-cd-ahead-of-sonic-origins-arrival

I didn’t see Sonic and Knuckles on that article unless I missed it.

I have all four of those games getting delisted on the Xbox 360/One. I think 3 was pretty big because it tends to be missing from compilations including that last one released during the 8th generation. The only way to play that on modern consoles was to get the 360 marketplace version.

No word on being able to redownload in the future but I assume it would be possible. And I’m read that they can only be purchased on the 360 but can be downloaded and played on the One and Series.
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
Melek-Ric
32-bit

Re: Sega delisting older Sonic games ahead of Origins collec

by Melek-Ric Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:00 pm

Crappy on Sega's part, but at least they are giving time to those whom do not have them. These versions have been on sale for cheap, often.

I own Sonic 2, 3, & K. Might buy Sonic 1 if it goes on sale before the end. ROM hacks make Sonic 1 more enjoyable to me however. I love SCD's music (both versions), but I am not a fan of the game itself. I probably won't get it.

Sonic 2, 3, & K feature digital "lock-on technology". Owning S&K and 2, and/or 3, enables options in the menu to play & Knuckles versions. I don't know if having Sonic 1 will unlock Blue Sphere, but I've read it does.
"Challenging my unit was both foolish and reckless! You are nothing more than my prey... one that is soon to be retired!"
Gucci
64-bit

by Gucci Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:56 pm

Can confirm that owning Sonic 1 gives you access to the Blue Sphere game. Overall, the fact that the lock on features were implemented into the XBLA games is super cool.

For those that don’t know, you need to own (and possibly downloaded?) Sonic 1, 2, & 3 to get access to the lock on features in Sonic and Knuckles. The feature is unlocked from the beginning (from what I’ve read, the new Origins collection has it to where you need to u lock the feature first).
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:00 pm

Isn't the modder who did the true 16:9 work on Sonic CD now working with Sega for all these? I remember reading/hearing that at some point. Has true wide-screen been announced on all?

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Reprise
Next-Gen

by Reprise Sun May 08, 2022 4:35 pm

Jagosaurus wrote:Isn't the modder who did the true 16:9 work on Sonic CD now working with Sega for all these? I remember reading/hearing that at some point. Has true wide-screen been announced on all?

That's correct and honestly in my opinion all signs seem to be pointing to these being excellent ports, so I don't know why parts of the internet seem to be freaking out about this compilation and acting like it's going to be an atrocious GTA Trilogy esque cash in disaster. I can't wait to play through these with my son, who is obsessed with Sonic.

The only issue I can foresee is it seems likely Sonic 3 & Knuckles' music has been changed... but that isn't confirmed yet.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Return to Sega