SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Doom on Genesis via Mega ED Pro

by nightrnr Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:42 am

Well would you look at this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=COSoHlJHo ... e=youtu.be

You'll need a Mega Everdrive Pro of course. There are much cheaper ways of playing Doom (like on almost any other device you already have).

But still, I knew I picked up a pro for a reason besides Sega CD.

I wonder what else they will be able to do with this? I've seen Genesis playing or streaming video with increased color, for instance.
...just another lost soul...
Anapan
Next-Gen

Re: Doom on Genesis via Mega ED Pro

by Anapan Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:26 am

Neat! Much better thanKrikzz's previous attempt.
I remember a while back homebrew dev GASEGA68k ported Wolfenstein 3D. Same guy who's making a F-Zero like engine for Genesis.

I still haven't learned to use the chip programmers I bought to make a NESDoom cart
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
nightrnr
Next-Gen

by nightrnr Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:27 am

You know, there are some things I just don't need on my NES? Doom is one.
Still neat though, I can appreciate it.

Genesis on the other hand, I had a healthy dose of from the 32x port (which I happen to like). I even tried getting the extra levels patches in on my everdrive, but met with absolute failure (I think it only works with the Pal rom, and I am NTSC only).

I wonder if the Doom on genesis will save? If not, Ultimate Doom will be tge only viable Wad.

And that other genesis version you linked does look abysmal (not that I would have expected any better). I can handle Zero Tolerance, but once fps hits a certain low, it's no longer a game (as is my opinion of F-15 Strike Eagle, a Genesis game I own that I just can't play).

I thought the Wolf3D port was just with the demo. It looks like the full game now?

Finally, one of my favorite unofficial source ports of Doom on a console is still on PS2. No music, no frills, it's just the base vanilla engine running on an old beat up PS2 via USB (or HDD). Still need to finish my Doom II run on that sometime.
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:22 am

Re: Wolf3D Genesis:
Old news. No full version released, no updates or source coming.
Latest released version unlocks episode 2 on completion:
https://archive.org/details/wolfenstein3dgenesis

The hi-color code and video player are very promising. All the groundwork is there to make some great things, but I think the hardware cost and therefore limited adoption is prohibitive to any project being bigger than just a neat tech feat. Ports from mister will be easy so I expect some emulators will be coming.

I think this won't be more than that because of the entrance price. When the GP2X handhelds were the most powerful and also open-source, then shortly after Dingoo handhelds were really cheap, that is when there was a platform that made a lot of things happen. Dingux made all other similar SOC processors able to adopt the huge open-source and portable library. Even today 10+ years later there's a increasing pile of crappy clones with screen-update tearing problems and crap shells doing less than the originals. It's still possible to get a good GP2X clone, if you search hard enough, but they're few and far between.

I thought I got that Doom expansion running on my older (now hand-me-down to my bro) Everdrive. I'll try to figure out the expansion...

You have an Android or PC? Hook it to your biggest screen with HDMI and play Bethesda's wide-screen port off Google Play store or whichever PC store (Microsoft/Steam/etc). It's not special, it's not enhanced. It has wide screen and plays at about 720p. They only changed it to wide screen and sold it. It's actually not anything but exactly what should've been done. I can't find anything bad to say about it. It's better than 5+ patches needed to make Vanilla or Chocolate doom play nicely on modern systems through various wad-loading front ends with bugfixes.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
nightrnr
Next-Gen

by nightrnr Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:38 pm

I'll get to a PC to TV setup one of these days. I'll have to if I want a proper p-wad loading option (or maybe I'll just use a laptop).

Weaksauce on the wolf3D Genesis limitation (it's still neat, just not worth it to me). If it ever gets a full port, I'll check back on it.
Otherwise, I still need to play through on 3DO (loved the Jaguar port).
And I may seek out the GBA port for casual play.

Oddly, I was trying to play the SNES port of Wolf3D on PS2 via SNES Station at one time (don't ask me why, I don't know).

Definitely let me know if you have info on how to get the Doom 32x expansions working. I have a soft spot for that port. I tried the Jaguar expanded levels, the full port, and one other (one of them required extracting info from the doom wad, I think). Still have my failed work files from that saved on a hard drive somewhere.
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:34 am

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
nightrnr
Next-Gen

by nightrnr Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:12 am

Hey thanks Anapan. And I thought I was going to have a long night of messing with wad and rom files again. Didn't think to look at the utilities page for the game on romhacking. I think the main hacks for it are just for the pal version.

Anyway, Finally had a chance to check this out (been a weird week).
Very nice, I now have that running on my Mega Everdrive X3 (the one I'm devoting to 32X games. Even has the pseudo Doom II port.

And I don't know why I like 32X Doom so much; must be nostalgia. But it does have a very arcadey feel to it. And no saving, so you are on your toes for survival at all times.
The Jag and SNES ports are similar in that respect (and I've had my fun with them), but something about those Sega controllers just do it for me.

Not sure I like having to hit right 30 times to get to the start of the game, but it's the price for a seamless set of levels.
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:55 am

A couple of days ago the 32X Resurrection team released a 1.3 revision of their amazing romhack.
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/6269/
link above still functional.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
nightrnr
Next-Gen

by nightrnr Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:24 pm

This has not gone unnoticed, I assure you.

As soon as I can dig my 32x back out, I will put this on the same memory card (most of my stuff is all packed up still from a move).
Return to Sega