First Blu-Ray Drives Won't Play Commericial Discs

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
racketboy
Site Admin

First Blu-Ray Drives Won't Play Commericial Discs

Post by racketboy »

Wow -- sony is really on the ball with this one:
http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/sony/more- ... 193827.php

Personally, I think both BluRay and HD-DVD are screwed.
It's like VHS vs Betamax... without a winner at all.
Or maybe its more like Super Audio CD vs DVD Audio
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

All I know is I have absolutely no use for them. I've seen plenty of DVD movies upscaled to a 720p screen, and it looks fine by me. I can't speak for 1080i, but still. VHS to DVD was a huge technical jump. DVD to Bluray/HDDVD is minor.
rattboi
24-bit

Post by rattboi »

I agree. For strictly audio and video formats, neither disc format really offers anything for me. Especially since I'm still using SDTV and stereo sound. I'm only looking forward to the large backup possibilities. I think it'll be cool to say, put a decent copy of the whole series of Farscape on one disc, or all uncompressed SNES roms, or a complete MAME set on one disc. These sound cool to me, but just more hidef video or audio won't sell me on this.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

rattboi wrote:I agree. For strictly audio and video formats, neither disc format really offers anything for me. Especially since I'm still using SDTV and stereo sound. I'm only looking forward to the large backup possibilities. I think it'll be cool to say, put a decent copy of the whole series of Farscape on one disc, or all uncompressed SNES roms, or a complete MAME set on one disc. These sound cool to me, but just more hidef video or audio won't sell me on this.

Yeah, storage is the only purpose I see for it.
But unless prices come down a lot, you might as well stick with extra hard drives
alexkidd
24-bit

Re: First Blu-Ray Drives Won't Play Commericial Discs

Post by alexkidd »

racketboy wrote:Wow -- sony is really on the ball with this one:
http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/sony/more- ... 193827.php

Personally, I think both BluRay and HD-DVD are screwed.
It's like VHS vs Betamax... without a winner at all.
Or maybe its more like Super Audio CD vs DVD Audio

My obscure hobby is collecting Laserdisc video and unfortunately I think HDDVD and Bluray are exactly like laserdisc. There is a definate improvement in technology but not enough to justify the price increase. Good LD players ranged from $400 to $200 and most films cost $50 with box sets going for up to $250. I think HD disc might be even more handicapped because at least you didn't need a new TV to see the upgrade from VHS to Laserdisc. As for myself, if I can have a player for around $200 and the movies are only about 20%-30% more I will make the upgrade, I will not be an early adopter however.
lordofduct
Next-Gen

Post by lordofduct »

Walrus said exactly what I was thinking right after I read Racket's post.

You all said exactly what I think... and I believe this stuff is going to fail just because of that. The cost for such little improvement (an improvment that the general populous doesn't even notice) isn't going to sell. How are you going to convince these markets:

middle aged men who are losing their eye sight... they can't tell difference and are more interested in a porsche for their mid life crisis.

Women in general... DON'T CARE about this stuff (on average)

Teens don't have the money

20+ guys may want it... but how many of them can actually afford it?

This is what an age of fickel people easily swayed by marketing has created. Companies who think they can sell you any ol' crap for half your yearly wages! The average american yearly income is about 41K before taxes... that is 33K after taxes. and the cost for a functional set up costs probably 5-6K (BD Drive, 1080p TV, cabling, 5.1 DD/DTS sound system and speakers, and add on movies that cost almost double that of regular DVDs). This is about 18% of your income spent on MOVIES! yeah freaking right...

It'll probably be gorgeous to look at, probably amazing to show off to your buddy's, but is that worth it? Cable TV and Satellite can't handle the resolution... only computers, HDDVD, BD and videogames (and console games probably won't even utilize such ridiculous resolutions due to lack of need to. Why slow down your game for a little extra detail when 720p does fine enough).

I will cry if this crap catches on... I will kick myself if America and Japan dive into capitalistic dog shit like this. Don't get me wrong, capitalism has some great things to offer... but it is shit like this that makes me ask everyone

"Don't you realize they are making you out to be an idiot right to your face?"

It corrolates perfectly with my post in the general forums about the advertisements at my local mall.
www.lordofduct.com - check out my blog

Space Puppy Studios - games for gamers by gamers