What was the last movie you've seen?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

Post by Pulsar_t »

[/https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2017/politics/australia-mexico-transcripts/?utm_term=.34bf93daddb4]Image

Back in 2009 upon watching The Box I missed a lot of the cues and themes in this underrated movie, but after revisiting it and in spite of the occasionally corny dialogue I think I like it a whole deal better now.
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

THE NEW YORK RIPPER

Gory, gritty '80s giallo from Lucio Fulci.

That one murder, though. You know the one. I mean, I know that Fulci has a penchant for ocular destruction, but here? A bound woman gets cut open with a razor blade, then her eye and nipple get ripped in half!

And the ending is really sad.
Kuruwin
64-bit

Post by Kuruwin »

Lol. Is there eye related nastiness in every Fulchi movie

I saw just Exorcist 3 and i give them props for doing something different but sadly it so does fall flat at the end. It feels like someone said to the director that this movie is too long and we have to end it and so they apruptly did. It was shoddy at places before and theres some points where you have to ask whether something is a plothole (based on the ending i think they were because the ending is so stupid) or not but it was still really interesting movie and i was willing to forgive but the ending is just so unsatisfactory that it kills it. I don't hate nor do i really heavily dislike the film but i'm just so disappointed that they squandered the potential it had.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

considering what a big James Van Der Beek fan I am, I'm surprised it took me so long to see this. It was a fun 14 mins.
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

So I did, in fact, end up rewatching The Blob (1988). It was actually one of the first DVDs I bought with my own money back in the day, but I haven't watched it in years.

I won't go into do much detail, but I will concur with what others have said.

The Good:

The practical effects hold up wonderfully. You really get the feeling that people are actively melting in all that goo and the realism of the effects make it all the more terrifying.

It's not a movie afraid to knock off the young'uns. You don't think they're going to do it, but then the movie flings the middle finger at you and does it anyway. No shame. Good show.

The cops aren't completely evil to the protagonist. They start off that way, but by the end you realize even the annoying one has a modicum of common sense.

Frank Darabont helped write the screenplay. Yes, the Walking Dead Frank Darabont.

The Bad:

The movie isn't 100% practical effects and when it isn't you know it isn't. The really early attempts at computer use stand out like a sore thumb and each time I saw them I though, "Ah...that's a shame."

Tropes! Tropes galore! Everywhere you turn another trope. Brooding, rebel antihero with a heart of gold? Check. Useless police force? Check. Government that is at once diabolical and incompetent? Double check.

Frank Darabont helped write the screenplay. Yes, this is the same guy with his name attached to The Walking Dead, Shawshank Redemption and Nightmare on Elm Street 3, but it's also the same point in time when Franky also worked on The Fly 2. Sometimes you gotta take the good with the bad, ya'll.

The movie's still pretty damn fun, though.
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

Post by Pulsar_t »

Been meaning to watch this for years, and it delivers. And it has one of the funniest lines in a scifi flick ever (Possibly improv too)

This all started tonight, and if there
are a million different realities,
I have slept with your wife
in every one of them.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Idiocracy - still the best Mike Judge film, yes even better than Office Space. Sadly he got way too much correct.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Alien: Covenant felt like exactly what it was - a bridge between Prometheus and Alien. Ultimately, I didn't like it as much as those two movies. But I did like it a lot. I thought there was some good creepy stuff actually. But I also appreciate that it was a lot of fan service for big fans of the franchise and not a totally necessary movie. Actually that sort of echos my opinion on Rogue One. It doesn't really need to exist in some useful manner. But I'm still glad it does. And there was enough cool stuff in it (like Rogue One) to make it worth seeing.

Even having said that, I'd suspect that even those of you who enjoyed Alien and Aliens but not so much 3 and Resurrection would still enjoy this one. I can't really comment for those who hated Prometheus because I think I'm an oddball here who loved that one. I'd watch this again, though. I'm sure I will more than once haha.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

I watched Alien Covenant last night as well. I was...less impressed with it. :lol:

Probably still an easier rewatch than 3 or Resurrection, but that's not saying a lot. While less so than with Prometheus, I think it's partly that I'd rather see this arc as an unrelated series. Not everything has to be part of an old IP, y'know?
Obviously, with Covenant, it says Alien on the tin, so that's not as solid a complaint. However, I'd rather seen more of this gorgeously produced sci-fi goodness be able to stay about discovery and all that, instead of defying all logic and well written characters to tie it back to xenomorphs.
strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

Did anyone feel like in the action scenes with the Xenomorph, that the camera was way too shaky. I was having a hard time getting my bearings when I watched it.