Genre of the Month (APR 2024 TR) - Pleasant Puzzles

Join in on our classic gaming club!
Ziggy

Genre of the Month (APR 2024 TR) - Pleasant Puzzles

Post by Ziggy »

Together Retro - April 2024 - Pleasant Puzzles

Who doesn't like a good puzzle game every once in a while? Although they can be challenging and engaging, I've always found puzzle games to be more relaxing than your typical video game. I wasn't sure how popular this genre would be for TR (sim games seemed to be unpopular) so I decided to swap it to this month, since this month was cut short due to the forum downtime.

I received a Gameboy bundled with Tetris as a gift one Christmas and I played many, many hours of Tetris on it. It's a game that I can always pick up and play, no matter what platform it's on. It's always fun to play, whether it be for 1 minute or 1 hour. I eventually got the NES version of Tetris, which I also clocked many hours with. I think it's a contender for my favorite puzzle video game.

Bust-A-Move (AKA Puzzle Bobble) is a game I didn't really know about until more recently. Like Tetris, it has many different versions on many different platforms making it very accessible. I find it very relaxing, not too hard but not too easy. Just a fun and cheerful game when I'm not in the mood for something that uses too much brain power.

Fire 'n Ice is a really fun NES game that I had no idea existed until Nintendo Switch Online. It's a block pushing game, but you can create blocks of ice and you clear a level by extinguishing all flames. Very easy to pick up, and very fun to play at length or in short bursts. Too bad the NES cart is super expensive. The Famicom version is pricey as well.

Little Magic is a fun little push/pull block game. It was a Super Famicom exclusive, but there has been a fan translation (not that you need it to play the game). It's fun and addictive, the levels start easy and get progressively harder like most puzzle games. It's as cheerful and light hearted as something like Bust-A-Move.

I didn't own a Genesis until the model 3, and one of the games I purchased along with the console was Sonic Classics which included Dr. Ronotnik's Mean Bean Machine. I had no idea what the heck it was, but it turned out to be fun. I have good memories of playing this game, but I've always been super terrible at it LOL. I had no idea it was a reskinned Puyo Puyo.

I've had a lot of fun with various jewel type games over the years, but the one I probably spent the most time with is Bejeweled 3. There was a stretch of time where I was just getting hammered at work all day long and then had a rough commute home. So I wanted to relax, but didn't have any drive to play any video game that required any level of thinking or fast reaction time. So I grabbed Bejeweled 3 from Steam and use to just play that for hours after I got home from work. I turned the in-game music off, and I had my record player right next to my computer desk. So I would just spin records and play Bejeweled. And sometimes make myself a cocktail. I would play for so long, until finally I heard "No more moooves!" And then I would think, OK, I've been playing it long enough. Time to turn it off... Oh hell, just one more game!

I think it was Ack that said long ago, the games included with Windows are technically video games but we don't consider them part of our video game libraries. Minesweeper is a great game. I've definitely clocked lots of hours with this one on various platforms. But it's almost weird to put this one on a list with Tetris and Bust-A-Move. Maybe because it doesn't have any in-game music?

What are some of your favorite puzzle video games? And why?
marurun

Re: Genre of the Month (APR 2024 TR) - Pleasant Puzzles

Post by marurun »

Love me some good puzzle games as long as they don’t lean too hard into massive complexity or difficulty. I also really like the action puzzlers, though those might be a different thing? If you want a really good overlooked action puzzle game try out Splash Lake on TG-CD. It has 60 levels but you can unlock up to 120 more if you figure out the trick.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

I don't typically go for Tetris type stuff, but I like puzzle games that are actual adventures with characters and stuff. I've been meaning to play the new Valiant Hearts game as the original one was excellent.

The interesting thing about puzzles is that so many genres make use of them. You could argue that the early Tomb Raider games were basically puzzle games. The puzzles formed the bulk of the challenge. It wasn't the platforming or the gunplay
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Well if you call Tomb Raider a puzzle game then you'd have to call Zelda a puzzle game, but good point. There definitely are games out there that aren't ONLY puzzles, but still very much puzzle oriented. Lots of puzzle/platfomrers.

Syndicate
32-bit

Post by Syndicate »

Raging Justice wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:36 am I don't typically go for Tetris type stuff, but I like puzzle games that are actual adventures with characters and stuff. I've been meaning to play the new Valiant Hearts game as the original one was excellent.

The interesting thing about puzzles is that so many genres make use of them. You could argue that the early Tomb Raider games were basically puzzle games. The puzzles formed the bulk of the challenge. It wasn't the platforming or the gunplay
...I honestly never considered Valiant Hearts a puzzle game, but I had a great time w/it as well. Thinking it over though, yeah it's definitely a puzzle game.

...thinking of some my favorite puzzle games Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo, Columns (Genesis), Meteos, Mr. Driller, Ilo Milo, Puyo Puyo Tetris, Krusty's Super Fun House, and the Bust-A-Move games all come to mind.
FireArm

Exemplary Сasual Dating - Living Women

Post by FireArm »

Casual dating at its finest – join the leading platform for relaxed and fun encounters!
Verified Ladies
Superlative casual Dating[/URL]