NEW RB Server - Forum Upgrade - Some WIP

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Ziggy

Re: NEW RB Server - Forum Upgrade - Some WIP

Post by Ziggy »

o.pwuaioc wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:44 am
Ziggy wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:09 am The active forum topics section on the front page is currently not working.
It's working fine for me. Temporary glitch, maybe?
Just checked, still not working. Just says "No discussions available."
marurun

Post by marurun »

You broke it you bought it!
(It works just fine for me.)
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Ziggy wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:20 pm
Ziggy wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:09 am The active forum topics section on the front page is currently not working.
Yeah, that's on my radar. It hasn't worked since the original server issue.
For a while it was showing recent blog posts there instead for some reason.
I'll need to look at the code and see where it's looking to pull in information.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

marurun wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:39 pm You broke it you bought it!
I'm not talking about the active topics link that can be found under "quick links," rather, the list of active topics shown on the front page of the main site (not the forum).
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Oh, the Active Forum Discussions! I thought you meant the Active Topics link under the quick links. Sorry.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Anapan wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:16 pm Since renovations are up for discussion, I'm gonna gripe about the front page Sonic art again. If permitted, I'll put a $250 USD bounty on it being replaced with something made by a pixel artist. I'll send $ to Nick right away, and ask that a topic be made to discuss how to get that badly error-diffusion color decimated image that has always bothered me off the front page. I hate Floyd–Steinberg dithering. If nobody backs this idea up, I actually made a fixed version in 5 minutes some years ago when I first complained about this. When I get home in a few days I could find and provide that. But wouldn't an artist-made similar image with a bit of personality be so much cooler?
I had seen this on the Suggestions thread a while back and kept meaning to follow up on it.

I greatly appreciate the offer to pay for artwork and such and, in theory, I really like the idea.

At the same time, I need to figure out what my near-term/long term goals are for the front page layout.

I would hate for you to invest money in custom artwork just to have it not be featured in the same way.

Also, I’d want to make sure that any new artwork fit my visual goals for the front page as well. I realize the current one isn’t ideal and I appreciate your attention to detail, but I just want to be up-front about my concerns as well.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Ziggy wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:17 pm
marurun wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:39 pm You broke it you bought it!
I'm not talking about the active topics link that can be found under "quick links," rather, the list of active topics shown on the front page of the main site (not the forum).
Indeed you are! I see it now. You are right. That feed to the main site is broken.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

racketboy wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:36 pm I had seen this on the Suggestions thread a while back and kept meaning to follow up on it.

I greatly appreciate the offer to pay for artwork and such and, in theory, I really like the idea.

At the same time, I need to figure out what my near-term/long term goals are for the front page layout.

I would hate for you to invest money in custom artwork just to have it not be featured in the same way.

Also, I’d want to make sure that any new artwork fit my visual goals for the front page as well. I realize the current one isn’t ideal and I appreciate your attention to detail, but I just want to be up-front about my concerns as well.
That's fair; When the time comes, I'll cover, or at least chip-in for the art assets bill.

In the mean-time, here's the existing art recreated without dithering & two are much smaller file-size:
https://anapan.ca/anapan/rbstuff/Sonic.png
https://anapan.ca/anapan/rbstuff/Sonic_fix.jpg
https://anapan.ca/anapan/rbstuff/Sonic_ ... ressed.jpg
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Anapan wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:40 pm
racketboy wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:36 pm I had seen this on the Suggestions thread a while back and kept meaning to follow up on it.

That's fair; When the time comes, I'll cover, or at least chip-in for the art assets bill.

In the mean-time, here's the existing art recreated without dithering & two are much smaller file-size:
https://anapan.ca/anapan/rbstuff/Sonic.png
https://anapan.ca/anapan/rbstuff/Sonic_fix.jpg
https://anapan.ca/anapan/rbstuff/Sonic_ ... ressed.jpg
I appreciate both the sentiment and the replacment sonic art -- I'll add this to my to-do list :)
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

I think I fixed it?!?!

Can somebody confirm?