Are Old Games Making a Comeback?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Syndicate
32-bit

Re: Are Old Games Making a Comeback?

Post by Syndicate »

...I think this, ummm retro renaissance is pretty cool. There have been some really good ones, the Wonderboy remakes were really good imo and the retro inspired games like Shovel Knight. My favorite trend though is all of the classic re-releases that are happening on classic consoles like the ones from Retro-Bit, it's a great way to get some classics at an affordable price.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Monster World IV; Great game! I think I bought the remake twice for different systems, but have only played the OG re-translation on CRT. Was the 3D Remake - Wonder Boy: Asha in Monster World well-made? Until I beat the 2D version I will not try the remake, but I want to know what others think of the remake.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

I agree with Syndicate, it's been great to see some official re-releases of older games on cartridge the last few years. Fingers crossed that some of the other hard to find games for older consoles continue to be released again. It's also great to be getting new games for older consoles via the indie scene. Two of my favorites have been Xeno Crisis and Demons of Asteborg, both on the Genesis.

I'm also glad to see smaller developers making games for modern consoles that are influenced by the 8-bit and 16-bit generation. As a beat 'em up fan, it's awesome to see a new wave of games from the genre. I've played and enjoyed SOR 4, River City Girls, and TMNT: Shredder's Revenge, but I need to check out Final Vendetta and a few others!
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

When I say ANYTHING can be brought back these days:

Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

That's funny you brought up Gargoyles. I was going to post about it as well, as I just saw the original version is also being rereleased on a Genesis cartridge.

Another rerelease for Genesis fans looking for that sort of thing!
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

The Gargoyles game is actually a good remake idea. Original is like 30 years old so yeah it deserves it I guess, the new one is animation style, I am fan of both pixel art and animation. We also do not see many re-releases of IP copyright protected games.

Speaking of which maybe I should watch the series too..
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

I wish Konami would put out a compilation of all their arcade and 8/16-bit licensed games. Obviously it wouldn't include their TMNT games since that got a release of its own.

IIRC that'd be the first time the arcade games based on GI Joe, Bucky O'Hare and Asterix and Obelix would get official home releases. Though they'd have to either include a content warning or alter the graphics for a few sprites and images in the Asterix and Obelix game.

Unless another company puts out an Asterix and Obelix compilation. The two Master System games slapped!
Syndicate
32-bit

Post by Syndicate »

Note wrote:That's funny you brought up Gargoyles. I was going to post about it as well, as I just saw the original version is also being rereleased on a Genesis cartridge.

Another rerelease for Genesis fans looking for that sort of thing!

...yep, the original is supposed to be pretty good. It's also pretty pricey, so the Genesis re-release is very welcome. I'm hoping that I can grab the remake and the Genesis release.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Anapan wrote:Monster World IV; Great game! I think I bought the remake twice for different systems, but have only played the OG re-translation on CRT. Was the 3D Remake - Wonder Boy: Asha in Monster World well-made? Until I beat the 2D version I will not try the remake, but I want to know what others think of the remake.

The remake is entirely unnecessary. It is just the original game but with a few QoL features and very cheap-looking 2.5D graphics. If you’ve played the original, with its gorgeous sprite work, you can safely skip the remake (and if you haven’t played either, you should play the original game).
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
Anapan wrote:Monster World IV; Great game! I think I bought the remake twice for different systems, but have only played the OG re-translation on CRT. Was the 3D Remake - Wonder Boy: Asha in Monster World well-made? Until I beat the 2D version I will not try the remake, but I want to know what others think of the remake.

The remake is entirely unnecessary. It is just the original game but with a few QoL features and very cheap-looking 2.5D graphics. If you’ve played the original, with its gorgeous sprite work, you can safely skip the remake (and if you haven’t played either, you should play the original game).

Yeah. I'm not against remakes, but this one did lose much of the original's charm. Fortunately, it did include the original game to their credit. So people can choose, or play both. I think ALL remakes should do this. I actually love when games let you switch back and forth between both versions.