My Sony Wega Remote Died, Apparently...

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
Ziggy

Re: My Sony Wega Remote Died, Apparently...

Post by Ziggy »

LOL, awesome! Glad to hear that. I actually just recently made another copy of that mixed tape. A co-worker got an old Subura Forester with the factory tape deck. I noticed it and offered to make a copy of that tape, and she loves it!

I might take you up on that remote, as it's looking more and more that I wont be able to figure out what's wrong with mine. I'd just hate for you to pay to ship it here and then it turns out it doesn't work for my TV.
Golgo 14
128-bit

Post by Golgo 14 »

I'm no help, but I'd like to commiserate and complain.

That CRT I picked off the sidewalk didn't have a remote, so I figured I could just get a universal remote. I've now bought *three* remotes for this thing, including an old Toshiba that looks exactly like the one in the tv's manual, and none of them work. The tv doesn't have a button on it for switching a/v inputs, so I'm afraid I have a 100+ lbs. paperweight. Any ideas would be appreciated. Hell, thoughts and prayers would be appreciated at this point.
marurun wrote: We’re not going to rubber stamp your horrible decisions.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Toshiba remotes are a little different - they used a lot of different hardware inside the chassis to get the job done. Unless you can get the exact model of remote for your TV, or you can identify the control chip from the IC or PCB an somehow match it to a remote PCB, your best bet is programming a better universal remote that allows you to map all of the relevant codes to buttons.

I have for a long time used Logitech Harmony unifying remotes for my long chains of hardware. I fully endorse them because they make everything work with a single button if set up correctly. I've installed and configured many of them to run all of the transcoders and switchers necessary to make my new hardware work with everyone's old, shitty displays and receivers. HDMI ARC is not nearly as useful as one of these remotes.

My brother and I have seen some in thrift stores for less than $10 and every one of them can be loaded with codes off of Logitech's nearly-complete code database. I've only had a few cheap Chinese unbranded switcher/transcoder devices that I was unable to load into the remote, from device ID - a couple I could remove the shell and read off the PCB an find a compatible device ID through Google, the last couple I had to train the remote by feeding it codes in read mode as physical buttons were customized by holding the two remotes face-to-face and pushing the buttons so it could receive them. Never failed to make a Harmony remote function with any obscure hardware.

An Ebay or Craigslist search for "Harmony 550" or "Harmony 650" should be less than $30 shipped. Having set up over 10 of them now, I've never seen one fail, tho the buttons have been worn down to be unreadable. I'll ask my bro if he has a spare - I have no spares in stock ATM.

I'm currently using an ancient Harmony 1100 with a Playstation 3 Adapter to run all of my devices. Some macro chains are crazy long, with delays embedded to allow commands to execute fully after devices respond. Its IR repeater sends commands to all 9 devices in my chain reliably every time I choose an activity. I even customized the background image of its 320x240 touch screen.

My parents main TV is running a Harmony 650 and their other TV with Wii-U, Android TV and Blu-ray are running a Harmony Elite with the physical remote and some IR blasters to control all of the switchers and transcoders for all the devices. three top buttons activate and allow control of each device. There's often headaches because someone keeps turning off parts of the system manually and the control software can't monitor what state each device is in. Once you start using Harmony, the power buttons of each device and their remote power buttons become a problem as it desynchronizes everything.

You can check if they know about your TV here:
https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/compatibility
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Golgo 14 wrote:I've now bought *three* remotes for this thing, including an old Toshiba that looks exactly like the one in the tv's manual, and none of them work.

The manual doesn't specify the model number for the remote? This is how I've acquired the correct remote for several CRT finds.

FWIW, I have a Harmony 665 that I can part with. It's a newer remote though, I have no clue if it'll work for old CRTs.
Golgo 14
128-bit

Post by Golgo 14 »

Wow, thanks for the write-up, Anapan. That's a lot of good info and it gives me hope that my tv isn't just a paperweight. I'd never heard of Logitech Harmony remotes before.

Ziggy587 wrote:The manual doesn't specify the model number for the remote? This is how I've acquired the correct remote for several CRT finds.

The manual had a drawing of the remote that looks just like the one I bought, but it didn't have a model number as far as I could see.

Ziggy587 wrote:FWIW, I have a Harmony 665 that I can part with. It's a newer remote though, I have no clue if it'll work for old CRTs.

Thanks very much, Ziggy. I will let you know if I want to try that. I think first I'm going to go back and try one of the remotes I bought again. The eBay seller sent it to me without directions and when I contacted them they said to download their software and hook the remote up to my computer. That seemed scammy to me, so I just forgot it, but I think I'll give it a try with one of my old Macs that doesn't have anything on it anymore.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

@Ziggy - I mailed the remote. It's tracked but minimal feedback an no arrival date. Expect in a week and PM if not timely delivered. I think it can do everything yours could because of how close their manufacture date is and it's slightly more advanced than your remote as far as functions mapped to buttons.. If you decide to keep your Harmony remote, every model of Harmony remote is capable of the back catalog of IR devices. They all support codes for VCRs and TVs from the 70's, I tested this with a behemoth top loader VCR. All functions mapped onto the physical (now optional) remote for the Harmony Smart Control.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Anapan wrote:@Ziggy - I mailed the remote. It's tracked but minimal feedback an no arrival date. Expect in a week and PM if not timely delivered. I think it can do everything yours could because of how close their manufacture date is and it's slightly more advanced than your remote as far as functions mapped to buttons.. If you decide to keep your Harmony remote, every model of Harmony remote is capable of the back catalog of IR devices. They all support codes for VCRs and TVs from the 70's, I tested this with a behemoth top loader VCR. All functions mapped onto the physical (now optional) remote for the Harmony Smart Control.

Wow, thanks! I'll definitely let you know when I get it in.

As for the Harmony remote... I had no idea that they could be used for older gear. I might have to retract my offer then. :lol:
Golgo 14
128-bit

Post by Golgo 14 »

Ziggy587 wrote:I might have to retract my offer then. :lol:

:lol: That's okay, Ziggy. Looks like there's plenty on eBay I can grab. Dumb question first for you though: Where is the button for switching between a/v inputs on that remote? I've looked at pictures of the Harmony 650 and I don't see a dedicated button for that. Maybe it's something you can program? It's literally the only button I really need.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

You can reassign the top buttons. The screen indicates what the unlabeled buttons around it do (example @ bottom of page for the default functions for a DSP). The software defaults to the most common functions, but you can fully customize a lot (all?) of the buttons on the remote to any function the hardware supports after you do the initial setup.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Golgo 14
128-bit

Post by Golgo 14 »

Great. Thanks for the info.