Together Retro: The Official Forum Thread

Join in on our classic gaming club!
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: The Official Forum Thread

Post by retrosportsgamer »

Man, reading this now I feel bad Ack was so ignored. I'd say a waiting period of 2 years for putting series back on the ballot works.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Ack wrote:Hey guys, as a result of the ongoing debate for Together Retro 2016(TR2016 Bloodbath: The New Generation), I'd like to get some input on a small rule change.

Traditionally we haven't revisited series that have already had an entry on the list. Do you guys feel we might consider changing this to allow revisits to different entries? Perhaps a waiting period of a year or two before such a series can come back?

I'm fine with this, especially to allow notably different entries in a series to be visited.

For example, rushing to play Sonic 2 next year after playing Sonic & Knuckles last year might not be the best use of a month, but Sonic Adventure would be quite a different experience and I see no reason it shouldn't be considered.

Other than Sonic Adventure being a bit crap anyway. But hopefully you still get my point.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I agree.

(Except where you said SA was crap.)
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

noiseredux wrote:I agree.

(Except where you said SA was crap.)

I only said it was a bit crap. Not total crap.

It has an aura of slight crappiness about it. It's vaguely charming.
mikenac
16-bit

Post by mikenac »

I am totally in for this. I will pick up on the next one if i am able!
marurun

Post by marurun »

Seeing some of the back and forth in Exhuminator's March voting thread, I propose that, going forward (after March, so Ex doesn't feel like anyone's pulling the rug out from under him), we declare the themes are guidelines and not straight-jackets. The curator sets up the themes and voting, offers guidance and advice, as well as opinions and encouragement, but ultimately the participants decide what they want to play. If there's posting that's in bad faith, like people deliberately thumbing their nose at the curator, the theme, or TR in general, it's up to the mod team to step in and keep the thread focused. The last thing we need is sniping between forum members over semantic crap in threads that are ostensibly intended to get people playing games together.

What are folks' thoughts on this proposal?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I dig that, maru. I bent the theme's rules a little bit in January with TaleSpin; it's not a platformer, but I played it for the "2D Licensed Platformers" month since I was just going through Disney Afternoon Collection for that. A little bit of freedom to bent but not outright break the the theme rules would likely do a lot to encourage participation. You know, as long as no one's trying to throw Super Mario Odyssey or Uncharted 4 or something in for Together RETRO.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:I dig that, maru. I bent the theme's rules a little bit in January with TaleSpin; it's not a platformer, but I played it for the "2D Licensed Platformers" month since I was just going through Disney Afternoon Collection for that. A little bit of freedom to bent but not outright break the the theme rules would likely do a lot to encourage participation. You know, as long as no one's trying to throw Super Mario Odyssey or Uncharted 4 or something in for Together RETRO.

But super Mario odyssey has the 2-D elements!!!!!!! I kid... I kid.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

marurun wrote:We declare the themes are guidelines and not straight-jackets.

I agree with you - and that's always been the case with Together Retro so it is weird that we would have to make that idea explicit after so many years. I made that case here. Any attempts to do otherwise will do nothing more than exclude people who might want to find some way to jump in that suits them.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Well, we also have to acknowledge that there's a balance to be struck. If everybody is playing on the fringes of the theme rather than engaging directly, the discussion's not going to really be embedded that much in the theme itself. And we do want the discussion to revolve around the theme, to help explore it. So in that sense we really do want people working within the theme if they can. But I don't think some edge cases necessarily detract from that. So it's about finding that happy medium between the theme actually serving as a unifying topic and finding ways to include people. Stray too far either way and you miss the point.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.