marurun

Re: Movies Talk! Talkin' about movies!

Post by marurun »

I found Jacob's Ladder pretty scary.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

thanks for the suggestion

marurun wrote:I found Jacob's Ladder pretty scary.

looks interesting!

PretentiousHipster wrote:
The Thing

I once started The Thing and 15-20min in I felt its as slow as molasses and stopped watching.
Maybe I should give it another chance.

I really can't tolerate slow movies and can't understand how people find entertainment in them, but to each his own!
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

So what are everyone's favorite movies of 2023 as we are now a little past the halfway point?

These are mine based on what I've seen so far (I may change this list based on new releases or older 2023 releases I haven't seen yet):

Extraction 2
John Wick 4
Guy Ritchie's The Covenant
Mission Impossible Day of Reckoning Part One
Guardians of Galaxy 3
Sisu (2022 movie, but released in some places in 2023)

All of these movies felt worth the time I spent watching them.
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

I'm pretty sure I've only seen four movies that were released in 2023, and two were Netflix movies.

I've only seen:
Chupa (meh made-for-TV kids' movie)
Pamela: A Love Story (meh documentary about Pamela Anderson)
The Super Mario Bros. Movie (meh video game adaptation)
and my default favorite
Cocaine Bear (Great concept. Solid, not great, execution. I don't regret showing this to my kids.)
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
Ack

Post by Ack »

Ooh, tough choice. So far for releases this year I've seen these:

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania
Barbie
Cocaine Bear
Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves
Evil Dead Rise
Extraction 2
Fast X
John Wick 4
Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse

Barbie and Extraction 2 were the biggest surprises, as I did not know what to expect, despite having seen the first Extraction.

Honestly, picking a favorite is tough because none of these were perfect, and some had some huge flaws. Honestly, I'm probably gonna go with Extraction 2 being my favorite.
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

marurun wrote:I found Jacob's Ladder pretty scary.

Loved this movie, found it to be scary as well. I remember hearing about it back in the early 2000s, but I never got around to watching it. Finally checked it out about a year or two ago. Need to rewatch it!
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

I'm still seeing stuff from 2022, so I'm behind on 2023. I only really loved The Pope's Exorcist because I thought it did the dumb fun style well. Knock at the Cabin was interesting, but I can't believe they took something so obvious and STILL took the time to literally explain what it is to the camera.

For 2022 stuff that recently came out in public, The Fabric of the Human Body is definitely a highlight. It's an experimental documentary about hospitals, but the directors do some of the most insane shots I've ever seen. Not surprised because their fishing documentary Leviathan was even more mindblowing in terms of what shots they've used. I'm sure anyone interesting in camerawork would love seeing those two films.
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

Realizing I've only seen two new movies in 2023, which were Cocaine Bear and Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves. Enjoyed both of them a lot, for different reasons. We actually made it out to the theater for Cocaine Bear, so that was a fun experience. I wasn't sure what to expect with Honor Among Thieves, but my partner and I thought it was a good watch. I'm hoping a sequel comes out.

I really would like to see John Wick 4 and the Super Mario Bros. movie as well.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

You know it's true what they say about trailers. I've been watching a lot of movies lately, and out of curiosity I've gone and watched a few trailers for some of the movies I've seen. I was shocked to see how much they reveal. I mean, if you watch the trailer for The Black Phone it pretty much shows you the entire movie. Even on Amazon, when you go to select a movie on Prime, the background video just gives away EVERYTHING

I think I'm going to make a conscious effort to avoid trailers for any movie I'm interested in, as there have been so many surprising moments in movies I've recently watched that are given away in trailers.