The 'mystery' of the Game Theory Admiral

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Betagam7
128-bit

The 'mystery' of the Game Theory Admiral

Post by Betagam7 »

So I purchased this from Taobao for 30RMB

I assumed it was a fake GBA clone at first, which is what it would seem the people designing the box and instruction manual also assumed given the imagery they used....but we'll get onto that.

It's actually a portable famicom that plays carts through a convoluted adaptor that plugs into the device and forms a bridge between the tiny cart slot and the cart

It should look like the thing on the left here:

....this is where my problem began.

It duly arrived in it's hilariously and infamously badly translated box (and a box that had quite obviously spent some time in flatpacked form). However, upon opening it I found only the console and the TV adaptor inside. No special yellow cartridge to act as a bridge between the weird device and a famicom cart. In essence then all I can do with it is turn it on and watch wavy lines go up and down the screen (I don't even know if this means it's working or not)

The way that the box was shaped leads me to believe it's sat in a warehouse somewhere flatpacked and someone has just tossed in the parts they though belonged there. I've emailed the seller but I'm not convinced he knows that it should come with a connector cart. This is the listing which mentions something about "foreign return stock".

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?_u=q2689tqe3243&id=27050256107

Another Taoaboer is selling these even cheaper but his pictures also don't show any cart adaptor with it? The front of the box shows a deformed looking "Game Boy Advance" cart and the manual confuses things further by neglecting any mention of the adaptor and also indicating a cart should be inserted:

The company who made this device was well named because everything about it is a mystery. The shell clearly tries to convince people it is a GBA, the box art does the same, the instruction manual gives impossible instructions and the adaptor is mentioned nowhere in any of the material? Who was this marketed at and how was anybody supposed to know what it was for on its release? It's as if nobody involved in the design or production of this thing communicated with each other in any way during its creation, or it's purpose was radically altered halfway through it's manufacturing.

Anyway, unless the taobao seller has just made a mistake I now have an entirely useless conversation piece. Does anyone know where I might source on of these yellow adaptors from?
3DSStrider
64-bit

Re: The 'mystery' of the Game Theory Admiral

Post by 3DSStrider »

I want to get one of these just so I can tell people I'm going to play my GTA and then pull that monster out of my pocket.
Insert clever quote here.
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/3DSStrider
Let's Play Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuNEFO ... qkaLOHc2nQ
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

3DSStrider wrote:I want to get one of these just so I can tell people I'm going to play my GTA and then pull that monster out of my pocket.

I've seen other people selling them on Taobao. They also seem to be being sold lose though with vague comments (translated badly by me) along the lines of "this took a special cart that is no longer easy to find.

Sellers seem to have come across a lot of stock with flatpacked boxes and no adaptor. Without the adaptors though the machine is useless.

It's still a mystery as to why the box art and manual completely fail to mention the adaptor though...no wonder sellers who don't know what they have are confused.

The seller I bought and left negative feedback for complained and said he had sold over 300 to happy customers. A lot of people must be happy with a GBA shaped doorstop then.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

I think the game theory admiral was notable back in 2003, but there are better portable famiclones on the market today. I would suggest that the FC mobile II has a better screen, better compatibility, and better sound.
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

samsonlonghair wrote:I think the game theory admiral was notable back in 2003, but there are better portable famiclones on the market today. I would suggest that the FC mobile II has a better screen, better compatibility, and better sound.

I really only bought it for curiosity as I only own two Famicom carts. I thought it would be funny to take a photo of it running my cart copy of the NES demake of FF VII and confuse the hell out of people on facebook :)

I've become a collector of odd handheld gaming systems in the last few years and this one is a baffling conversation piece even in its non-functioning state. I suppose there is a small chance that I might be able to source the converter at some point.

Also it was only 30 RMB :)
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

Just updating my own thread for anyone who might care:

One year later someone on Taobao has made 999 replacement versions of the things!

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/For-FC-g ... 65883.html

Quite why these things have suddenly gone into production in 2016...only the Chinese really understand. Either way I should finally be able to get my GTA running!
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

Well everyone on Racketboy can now stop holding their breath. :lol: My converter arrived and i have finally been able to bask in the magnificence of seeing my GTA in action:

Two problems are immediately apparent.

1. This flimsy third party converter is little more than a circuit board making the support it offers to the Famicom cart even more lightweight. It wobbles about and feels like it might break in your hand at any moment.

2. Sound emulation on the GTA appears to be strikingly inconsistent. While my official cart of Wizardry and my repros of FF VII and Bio Force Ape played just fine. My official Kirby cart and repro of Super Mario 3Mix had such awful sound that I thought the speaker had blown out. I guess the system just has major compatibility issues.

I should also note that the screen resolution is low giving every game a slightly blurry sheen that isn't present on the crisp screens most clone hardware of today has.

Now to address a glaring design fault of this third party converter!

See if you can spot what it is!:

yup, that's the TV out cable blocking the cart adaptor and preventing it from being plugged in.
The original yellow adaptor was much longer than this and whoever has decided to make this new one neglected to make it the correct length!

It's therefore impossible to use this adaptor to play your GTA on the television which only adds to the hilarity of this ridiculously odd device and the even odder people who tried to make a new adaptor for it in 2016 :roll: