Turbogrfx/PC Engine Emulation

Emu Talk Goes Here
marlowe221
Next-Gen

Turbogrfx/PC Engine Emulation

Post by marlowe221 »

What's the best emulation solution for this system these days? Really, I would love a recommendation for an emulator that will play both the card games and the CD games if possible.

Thanks!
Have: Sega Genesis, SNES, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Atari 800XL, PC, N3DS XL, Wii U, GBA, Xbox One, Switch

Want: Games!!!
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Re: Turbogrfx/PC Engine Emulation

Post by fastbilly1 »

You have four main choices:
Hu Go, Ootake, or Magic Engine are all PCE/TG16 emulators, Magic Engine is not free.
Or you have Retroarch which emulates everything.

Hugo and Ootake just take time setting up, but I paid for Magic Engine over a decade ago so I always use that.

I believe all will handled CD and hucard.
Opa Opa

Post by Opa Opa »

I liked Ootake when I used it.

Have they made a TG emulator for the Wii yet?
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Opa Opa wrote:I liked Ootake when I used it.

Have they made a TG emulator for the Wii yet?

Retroarch
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

TurboEngine

Runs off the Kega Fusion codebase, absolutely free and easy to use, plays cards and CDs.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I've never heard of TurboEngine, but this was the one time I ever paid for an emulator so I actually do have Magic Engine and a legit key. I've had it since the 90s and they still honor the key too which is cool. I ended up buying it when the Duo wasn't mine yet and I had got a few CDs and wanted to play some HuCards from overseas. Other than the out of date custom menu DOS-graphics kind of look to it, it's fantastic.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

Retroarch, or Ootake if you really want a standalone.
marlowe221
Next-Gen

Post by marlowe221 »

Thanks everyone!

I think I will try out a few of these and see what I (and my computer) like best. I think I will try out Turbo Engine first, due to my deep and abiding love of Kega Fusion... :D

Will I need separate BIOS files for the CD games?
Have: Sega Genesis, SNES, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Atari 800XL, PC, N3DS XL, Wii U, GBA, Xbox One, Switch

Want: Games!!!
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I can't speak for them all but I know some will require the system card to run. There were various releases of an HuCard that went in the slot that were the drivers to run various games. It wen from v1 up to 3.X and then there was also the Arcade card for the few Japanese games that used it. The Arcade Card isn't region picky on running CDs, just region picky for the slot it is in but for an emulator any old version of it will work.

Magic Engine created its own amazing clone of the system card so it will run whatever you throw at it without complaining or going all warezy and getting the card ROM. Not all of them can make that claim.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

marlowe221 wrote:Thanks everyone!

I think I will try out a few of these and see what I (and my computer) like best. I think I will try out Turbo Engine first, due to my deep and abiding love of Kega Fusion... :D

Will I need separate BIOS files for the CD games?

Yes, you will. They are readily available in all versions. They will go in the Syscards directory where you install TurboEngine.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.