Are there any great Platformer/RPG hybrids?

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
GrouchoGlasses
16-bit

Are there any great Platformer/RPG hybrids?

Post by GrouchoGlasses »

I've been trying to hunt down some good sidescrolling RPGs with an emphasis on platforming. So far, the only series that fits the bill is Castlevania SotN and the Nintendo DS versions. I'd like something that goes a bit deeper in the realm of RPG. Indie PC titles are okay to recommend too!

Have you found any greats that pull from the strengths of both genres?
AppleQueso

Re: Are there any great Platformer/RPG hybrids?

Post by AppleQueso »

Popful Mail!
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Since it started out as an arcade game, it is not terribly deep, but you should definitely try out Cadash. You might also want to consider Faxanadu and Zelda II: The Adventure of Link on the NES. Both games have a lot in common with Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and its successors on the GBA and DS.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Look into the early Falcom games like Xanadu, Faxanadu, Romancia, Legacy of the Wizard, Sorcerian, Ys III, The Legend of Xanadu I & II, and Popful Mail.

Also, Zeliard for the PC (DOS) is another great pick. It was developed by Game Arts, who also made the Lunar games.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I thought you might might show up here... :lol:
Hazerd
Next-Gen

Post by Hazerd »

Dragon Valor on PS1 might fit what your looking for, maybe...
flojocabron
Next-Gen

Post by flojocabron »

Would the wonderboy series on the sega master system count?
2600 and jr,5200,nes/top loader, master system, intellivision, TG-16, genesis 1,2,3, SNES, snesJR, CDX, 3DOfz10, gamegear, gameboy and pocket, GBC, sega saturn, PSOne w/screen, Virtual Boy, N64, NGPC, Gameboy Advance sp, Dreamcast, Black Dreamcast, oXBOX, Playstation 2, PStwo, Gamecube, gameboy player, DS lite,DSi XL, PSP1000/3000,Wii,PS3 120gb,3DSXL, xbox 360, PSvita, PS4
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

flojocabron wrote:Would the wonderboy series on the sega master system count?

Personally,I count them in the same category (especially Wonderboy III: Dragon's Trap). They are definitely worth the mention.

Anyone consider Ax Battler (Game Gear) a decent game? It's short and a little rough around the edges, but can be entertaining.
Also, Gargoyle's Quest II (NES) was fun.
But I guess the TC is looking for something with a little more depth or development.

Someone really needs to bring the Platform/RPG back. I'm sick of waiting for a Zelda II reboot.
...just another lost soul...
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

nightrnr wrote:Someone really needs to bring the Platform/RPG back. I'm sick of waiting for a Zelda II reboot.

I wanted to say that there were plenty in the indie and portable realm, but after thinking about it a bit, most of them are more Metroid than Zelda II (no experience system or stat growth, etc.)

Why'd Iga stop making Castlevania games again? I feel like the DS ones might've been the last...
TheBrick
24-bit

Post by TheBrick »

I recommend Muramasa: The Demon Blade for Wii because, while it might not satisfy the cravings for a dose of platform-hopping syrupy goodness as much as Castlevania, it does fill the action and RPG bits with ease
Consoles: N64, Wii, Dreamcast, PS2, SNES, Saturn, Genesis, PS3, NES, Wii U, 2600, PS4
Handhelds: Game Boy Advance, 3DS, PSP, New 3DS