How is your Dreamcast gaming going on?

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Re: How is your Dreamcast gaming going on?

Post by CD AGES »

The original Shenmue to date, is still a DC exclusive.
aaron
Next-Gen

Post by aaron »

CD AGES wrote:The original Shenmue to date, is still a DC exclusive.

okay, that's what i thought.
Steam / PSN / Twitter: aaronjohnmiller
BurningDoom
Next-Gen

Post by BurningDoom »

About a year ago, I read that both the Shenmue games were supposed to be released on Xbox Live and Playstation Network. Why the hell didn't that ever happen?
Game Trade/Want List:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28206

Consoles Owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Super GB, N64, Gamecube, GB Player, Wii, Sega Power Base Converter, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, TurboGrafx-16, PlayStation, PS2 Slim, XBox, XBox 360, Game Boy, GBC, GBA-SP, DS, Game Gear, GG Master Converter
aaron
Next-Gen

Post by aaron »

BurningDoom wrote:About a year ago, I read that both the Shenmue games were supposed to be released on Xbox Live and Playstation Network. Why the hell didn't that ever happen?

because it might renew interest in the franchise and then sega would have to pay yu suzuki to finish the trilogy!!!1 CONSPIRACY
Steam / PSN / Twitter: aaronjohnmiller
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

HD Shenmue headed to XBLA & PSN. So "will be available" for that one.

I live in the States & imported PAL.Shenmue II bc I'm not into original xbox. Great looking box set. Really stands out on my shelf.

I just started playing Silver... interesting little game.
jinx
Next-Gen

Post by jinx »

Playing Phantasy Star Online right now.
Cara and I play Gauntlet Legends, Bomberman and SoulCalibur every weekend.

Just picked up a few shmups, and looking forward to finding some gems I've never had the pleasure of playing.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

^check my signature link, jinx. :)
anonymous1980
8-bit

Post by anonymous1980 »

kingmohd84 wrote:So I would like to hear from you what games that are still worthwhile that is exclusive to the Dreamcast?

I know some people will always prefer to play games on their original systems for the nostalgia's sake (Which I do with the N64) but for me its like buying Thriller album on tape(originally released on media) or downloading it over iTunes which has better sound quality and more convenient to play in my ipod,car, and PC and easier to backup and save from wear and tear.

Great console exclusives:

Sword of the Berserk: Gut's Rage
Elemental Gimmick Gear
(great action RPG, highly underrated and worth picking up)
Virtua Fighter 3tb (it's cheaper than dirt and has that classic excellent fighting mechanics, worth trying out)
Cannon Spike
Daytona USA 2001
Project Justice
Bomberman Online
Zero Gunner 2
Confidential Mission
4-Wheel Thunder
Tech Romancer
Mars Matrix: Hyper Solid Shooting
Giga Wing II

Gunlord (excellent 2D action platformer, only ported to the Neo Geo which is infinitely more expensive, so i might aswell cheat an exception, and mention it here).

Ports that are superior on the Dreamcast:

Soul Calibur - fighting - The XBLA port doesn't have the single player 'Mission Mode', which is a major part of the game. All of the content is also unlocked from the start, effectively cutting down on the commitment to play trough it. The only other port is on iOS which still misses the Mission Mode from what i've heard.

Test Drive Le Mans - racing - The PS2 port has far lower quality textures and worse jaggies. The PC version is a port of the PS1 version, both being graphically inferior in a dramatic way.

Capcom vs. SNK - fighting - The PS1 version has worse graphics, loading times, and inferior sound.

Bangai-O - 2D mecha shooter - Compared to the N64 version, there are some gameplay differences, and on the technical side the DC version has far more better detailed backgrounds, better sprites, better quality sound and significantly less slowdowns. There's also a version on XBLA, though it wouldn't be fair to compare them since they are basically completely different games, with some differences that have ben criticized by fans.

Space Channel 5 - rythm - The PS2 port has much more noticeable timing issues, and worse graphics.
mas
Next-Gen

Post by mas »

Just got last blade 2, nba showtime, and nfl blitz 2000"sega all stars" edition? I did not know there was an all stars version of this. I guess its harder to get also. Last blade 2 is a great game. Really fun to play. And nba showtime is such a great port from the arcade. I had that and blitz 2000 for the N64 at one point. The dreamcast ports are so much better.
Raiiban
24-bit

Post by Raiiban »

I pull out my Dreamcast to play Vampire Chronicle regularly, I think it got a PSP port some time ago but I don't like handhelds to begin with and I'm certainly not playing a fighting game on one when I've got a nice CRT TV with DC on VGA and a fighting stick.