Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
AppleQueso

Re: Your Favorite Console...in Terms of Hardware Only

by AppleQueso Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:16 am

Damm64 wrote:...and still someone manage to put the WHOLE data of resident evil 2 in one small gray cartrigde.]

Oh man, ever read this?
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3 ... udios_.php

An awesome article about the development of that port. Pretty great stuff if you're into reading about that sort of thing.
MulishaSoldier929
32-bit

by MulishaSoldier929 Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:11 pm

Gotta agree on the DC vmu's. They were a fun gimmick and it was neat to have little pictures show up on your controller but overall in the end not that great.

Saturn has been said alot but aside from the controllers(which are what jesus would use if he played video games) I feel the system is one large heavy box. Not that appealing. No, my vote goes for the 64. Light, simple, and minus the controller.... perfect.
Beer it go good with pizza
FerretGamer
Next-Gen

by FerretGamer Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:33 pm

AppleQueso wrote:
Damm64 wrote:...and still someone manage to put the WHOLE data of resident evil 2 in one small gray cartrigde.]

Oh man, ever read this?
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3 ... udios_.php

An awesome article about the development of that port. Pretty great stuff if you're into reading about that sort of thing.

Thank you for sharing that excellent article. I think I'm going to re-buy the N64 version just because of the history associated with it.
Exhuminator wrote:Sega gonna Sega.
Valkyrie-Favor
Next-Gen

by Valkyrie-Favor Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:38 pm

I have to say I dislike the VMUs. I actually sought out a third-party card for my dreamcast to avoid them. The screen was a novelty, but it was never anything more.

On the other hand:
-only 1MB memory, a sports game fills the entire thing
-Horrible shrieking noise that scares my dog
-VMU games are not worth your time or batteries
Tsun tsun dere tsun dere tsun tsun~ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . UPDATED trade list
noiseredux wrote:Playing on your GBA/PSP you can be watching a movie/TV show/playing another RPG on your TV and then just look at the screen every once in a while
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:48 pm

Valkyrie-Favor wrote:-VMU games are not worth your time or batteries

Back in the day, it was pretty effing awesome to be able to take your chao to school with you and raise it during math class. Tell me of another system that let you do that. (Outside of Japan.)
santanime
8-bit

by santanime Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:03 pm

I gotta give it up to the gamecube. She is a powerful machine (I'm lazy/stupid, so all I can offer is this article comparing its inner workings to its arch-nemesis, the ps2: http://ca.ign.com/articles/2000/11/04/gamecube-versus-playstation-2) with such a unique design she could be a modern art masterpiece. On top of that, the controller has got a nearly flawless design and feels great too.
ApolloBoy
128-bit

by ApolloBoy Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:00 pm

Valkyrie-Favor wrote:-Horrible shrieking noise that scares my dog

When I owned a Dreamcast, I solved that by opening up my VMU and cutting the speaker wires. I kinda don't understand why they even added one in the first place.
Own: 2600, 2DS, 2DS XL, 360 S, 5200, 7800, 800, 800XL, AES, Amiga 600, C64, C64C, CV, DC, Duo-R, GB, GBA, GBA SP, GBC, GBP, Genesis 2, GG, JP SMS, Lynx, Mark III, Mega CD II, MD, MSX2+, N64, NES, NES top loader, Nomad, PCE, PSX, PS2, RetroUSB AVS, SAT, SFC, SG-1000 II, SMS, SNES mini, Switch, TE, Twin Fami, VIC-20, Wii, XEGS
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:07 pm

ApolloBoy wrote:When I owned a Dreamcast, I solved that by opening up my VMU and cutting the speaker wires. I kinda don't understand why they even added one in the first place.

It was a predecessor to the WiiU. When you think about it, some games offered you options that allowed you to use the VMU as a menu system. Games like the NFL2K series let you pick plays from it. It allowed you to have a tamagotchi-style minigame for your chao, which was very similar to the much later pokewalker for Pokemon Gold/Silver for the DS.

I feel like the idea was far ahead of its time and wasn't utilized properly, because of its limitations in technology. But the idea of having a second screen for information was revolutionary and, as seen in the current generation, a popular idea with the Wii U system.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:18 pm

I keep batteries in a handful of VMU's to avoid the beep. You can get em cheap enough. Plus it's nice to check which saves are on a VMU without booting the system.
soul_hacker
64-bit

by soul_hacker Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:23 pm

I am stuck between two. I'm not sure if one actually qualifies as a console, but...

PC Engine Duo R

Sharp X68000

Return to General Gaming