Samurai Shodown Sen competitive Level

Brawlers and Beatemups
JC48573
128-bit

Samurai Shodown Sen competitive Level

Post by JC48573 »

For a game most fans/gamers hated playing, this is a surprise to me that they ran tournaments in Japan. I found out about this like a year ago, but never had the chance to share it with you people. I actually rebought the game just to give it another chance and I'm glad I did. Not necessarily a perfect game, but what I did discover is that the Samurai Shodown we grew to love is actually "hidden" in this so called SoulCalibur rip off. I use the word hidden because Sen is one of those games you need to spend some time in training mode to experiment with the characters and when you start grasping the move set that's when you realize that all of the things you knew about Shodown was actually there, but this time you are playing it in 3D instead of 2D. Game is still a SoulCalibur rip off though because you can really pull off some crazy combos with this game.
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Re: Samurai Shodown Sen competitive Level

Post by CD AGES »

For a game most fans/gamers hated playing, this is a surprise to me that they ran tournaments in Japan. I found out about this like a year ago, but never had the chance to share it with you people. I actually rebought the game just to give it another chance and I'm glad I did. Not necessarily a perfect game, but what I did discover is that the Samurai Shodown we grew to love is actually "hidden" in this so called SoulCalibur rip off. I use the word hidden because Sen is one of those games you need to spend some time in training mode to experiment with the characters and when you start grasping the move set that's when you realize that all of the things you knew about Shodown was actually there, but this time you are playing it in 3D instead of 2D. Game is still a SoulCalibur rip off though because you can really pull off some crazy combos with this game.

Yes the game def had a scene in Japan early on during the games release, not sure how it is today though. I remember seeing plenty of high level play footage even before the game was released years later on Xbox (attended the only US Location Testing SNKP USA had for the game alongside KOF 98 UM, so i had very high hopes early on for a home port). Broke my heart when Ignition Canceled the release (under the Edge Of Destiny moniker) so I was thrilled XSEED pick it up for a US release. Def not a perfect game, this game is not a Soul Cal "Ripoff" by any stretch of anyone's imagination. and yes you are correct. The game has some of its original 2D roots hidden within its 3D presentation. Glad you addressed this.

Game is still a SoulCalibur rip off though because you can really pull off some crazy combos with this game

Once again this game is not a ripoff of Soul Calibur. Your reasoning has little value as "crazy combos" are essentially universal to the genre.

but never had the chance to share it with you people

Well here's some High level matches from a Japan Tourney.
http://youtu.be/yH2rwzYNWmM

http://youtu.be/lyNgoK2q2Cg

http://youtu.be/V7c2Q7MgSKg
JC48573
128-bit

Post by JC48573 »

CD AGES wrote:

Yes the game def had a scene in Japan early on during the games release, not sure how it is today though. I remember seeing plenty of high level play footage even before the game was released years later on Xbox (attended the only US Location Testing SNKP USA had for the game alongside KOF 98 UM, so i had very high hopes early on for a home port). Broke my heart when Ignition Canceled the release (under the Edge Of Destiny moniker) so I was thrilled XSEED pick it up for a US release. Def not a perfect game, this game is not a Soul Cal "Ripoff" by any stretch of anyone's imagination. and yes you are correct. The game has some of its original 2D roots hidden within its 3D presentation. Glad you addressed this.

Game is still a SoulCalibur rip off though because you can really pull off some crazy combos with this game

Once again this game is not a ripoff of Soul Calibur. Your reasoning has little value as "crazy combos" are essentially universal to the genre.

but never had the chance to share it with you people

Well here's some High level matches from a Japan Tourney.
http://youtu.be/yH2rwzYNWmM

http://youtu.be/lyNgoK2q2Cg

http://youtu.be/V7c2Q7MgSKg

It's been awhile since I last touched on the Samurai Shodown classics, so I guess I take my words back about the "ripoff." I've seen other videos of Sen where most of the time you have matches between Ukyo, Kyoshiro, and Nakoruru. Those videos showed some of the flaws the game had like character balancing issues (Kyoshiro.....). There's also where players are good at wasting time, so they just lay on the ground until time is up.
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

I remember early on in Sam Sho Sen, I would watch some high level play with the Kazama Brothers. Really sneak technology especially for Sogetsu. No fighting game is ever perfect or truly balanced for that matter. Considering it was developer K2 LLC's first crack at the genre, I think they did a respectable job. Many deem the game the worst in the series... I guess people quickly forget about Warriors Rage(PS1), Sam Sho III. And personally I was more dissapointed with Sam Sho Tenka than this game.
JC48573
128-bit

Post by JC48573 »

CD AGES wrote:I remember early on in Sam Sho Sen, I would watch some high level play with the Kazama Brothers. Really sneak technology especially for Sogetsu. No fighting game is ever perfect or truly balanced for that matter. Considering it was developer K2 LLC's first crack at the genre, I think they did a respectable job. Many deem the game the worst in the series... I guess people quickly forget about Warriors Rage(PS1), Sam Sho III. And personally I was more dissapointed with Sam Sho Tenka than this game.

I actually did a deep research and this might be a bit of a surprise for you. K2 was actually the former creators of the early Samurai Shodown games. They left SNK and formed K2, then Capcom bought them. I believe Samurai Shodown V was developed by...the same people that did Arcana Hearts. They used to be known as Yuki Enterprise before changing to Examu. So yea, this is not K2's first fighting game or Samurai Shodown. K2 is currently doing ports for Capcom.
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

5, 5 Special were def developed by Yuki Enterprise (they may also be responsible for Tenka). As for who designed the first 4 installements, I imagined that was all in-house. As for K2, I only knew them as the devs responsible for the early Tenchu Series, but that's about it.
JC48573
128-bit

Post by JC48573 »

CD AGES wrote:5, 5 Special were def developed by Yuki Enterprise (they may also be responsible for Tenka). As for who designed the first 4 installements, I imagined that was all in-house. As for K2, I only knew them as the devs responsible for the early Tenchu Series, but that's about it.

Well, the people that founded K2 used to be members of SNK. Why else would they hire Yuki to make Samurai Shodown V as people started leaving the team? SNK had their runs of ups and downs. I was also surprised when I found out that K2 were formerly members of SNK.
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

Hmm... quite interesting. My understanding on hiring Yuki Ent. came from (now formed Playmore at that time) their desire to give series a fresh developer to ressurect the series properly as well as playmore being more heavily focused on their more important KOF and Metal Slug franchises, not to mention the contractually obligated SVC chaos which took quite a while to finally materialize into the market. Another mystery with the earlier SamSho series is the involvement of "Galapagos Team" as the franchise true designers. I'm telling ya, I find SNK development of the 90's simply fasinating!
JC48573
128-bit

Post by JC48573 »

CD AGES wrote:Hmm... quite interesting. My understanding on hiring Yuki Ent. came from (now formed Playmore at that time) their desire to give series a fresh developer to ressurect the series properly as well as playmore being more heavily focused on their more important KOF and Metal Slug franchises, not to mention the contractually obligated SVC chaos which took quite a while to finally materialize into the market. Another mystery with the earlier SamSho series is the involvement of "Galapagos Team" as the franchise true designers. I'm telling ya, I find SNK development of the 90's simply fasinating!

You sir get a candy. Galapagos Team was actually the people responsible for the earlier Samurai Shodown games. The guy in charge of that team along with most of the team members left SNK to form K2. K2 was not happy with the new characters in SSV, so they just decided to create their own set of new characters from scratch for Sen.

What I want to know is, who are the people behind the 64 games. I was always impressed with those games with the exception of Warrior's Rage on the playstation.
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

Hmm interesting. That would explain the absence of Yoshitora as he was one of the more popular newer characters and even main protagonist in the series from V onwards.

That's a really good question. One that I wanted to make in my previous post. I imagine those games were just develop internally among SNK and subsidiary studios like Noise Factory who were responsible for Maximum Impact KOF, SNKs return to 3D since SamSho 64. It's just a guess really.