Random Gaming Thoughts

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

Post by RCBH928 »

I just spent like 3-4 days playing the Shadow Vault level in Torchlight thinking its an expansion level unlocked after you beat the game... turns out its infinite levels just to level up for some unknown reasons after you beat the game.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

If I was to play 2 SHMUPS which 2 would they be? I am not fan of the genre, not because I don't find the gameplay fun but because its just too difficult for me. There are so many enemies and projectiles that I didn't think the levels are beatable have I not seen videos of others who did, I could have swear that some of the projectiles were so close they actually collided with the ship but it did not take a hit or explode.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

The hitbox in bullet hell style shmups is usually smaller than your sprite is. Some games actually award bonuses for that so people will purposely skim the bullets.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

RCBH928 wrote:If I was to play 2 SHMUPS which 2 would they be? I am not fan of the genre, not because I don't find the gameplay fun but because its just too difficult for me. There are so many enemies and projectiles that I didn't think the levels are beatable have I not seen videos of others who did, I could have swear that some of the projectiles were so close they actually collided with the ship but it did not take a hit or explode.

Personally I wouldn't recommend bullet hell shmups (which you seem to be describing), and would instead recommend something like UN Squadron, Gradius series, Darius series (including my favorite Metal Black), Super Aleste, Thunder Force III, and Sonic Wings. You could also try some indie titles. Stuff like Hydorah (free!), Irukandji (a dollar!), Satazius, or Crimzon Clover (which has a novice mode and should also be a couple dollars).

There is of course a list on RB just for this topic:

https://www.racketboy.com/retro/the-bes ... et-started
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

RCBH928 wrote:If I was to play 2 SHMUPS which 2 would they be? I am not fan of the genre, not because I don't find the gameplay fun but because its just too difficult for me. There are so many enemies and projectiles that I didn't think the levels are beatable have I not seen videos of others who did, I could have swear that some of the projectiles were so close they actually collided with the ship but it did not take a hit or explode.

Start with life force, great game, has both vertical and horizontal stages, and a 30 life code(same as contra) so you can just scrub your way through it. I couldn't tell you more that that right now because my brain is mush, but life force is the perfect starter.
opa
Next-Gen

Post by opa »

A lot of classics have been ported to smartphones too. Mushihimesama, Raiden, etc. They play really well on a touchscreen and are affordable.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Thanks for the suggestions, I didn't look into the RB guide because the number of games is overwhelming. I am surprised no one mentioned Ikaruga, I really like the idea of switching between black&white and absorbing the bullets. It was one of the most creative ways I have seen to put a new dimension-if you may-to an established media form.

Gunstar Green wrote:The hitbox in bullet hell style shmups is usually smaller than your sprite is. Some games actually award bonuses for that so people will purposely skim the bullets.

Thats an interesting approach...

opa wrote:A lot of classics have been ported to smartphones too. Mushihimesama, Raiden, etc. They play really well on a touchscreen and are affordable.

I am skeptical, shmups seems to be the form of games that needs the most precise of controls. Of course for me, the new iOS will support PS/Xbox controllers natively so that won't be an issue.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Dudes Gunlord X is awesome.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

RCBH928 wrote:
opa wrote:A lot of classics have been ported to smartphones too. Mushihimesama, Raiden, etc. They play really well on a touchscreen and are affordable.

I am skeptical, shmups seems to be the form of games that needs the most precise of controls. Of course for me, the new iOS will support PS/Xbox controllers natively so that won't be an issue.

I was skeptical too, but touch screen controls for shmups, and particularly bullet-hell shmups, are really, really precise. In fact, for certain shmups, I vastly prefer touch-screen controls.
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

@RCBH: if you like color switching silhoutte mirage is a good horizontal schmup with a cool switching mechanic, its probably stupidly expensive but is easily to emulate on ps1

@Bone: gunlord x is awesome, I generally don't like the turrican style of run n guns but gunlord x was a lot of fun.