how do you preserve your consoles?

Discussion of scanning, archiving, and printing things such as magazines, manuals, video captures, and game covers
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: how do you preserve your consoles?

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

That's decent. I'll have to invest in something like this in the future. Unfortunately, my "game room" doubles as a bedroom and there's little space left over after the bed, bureaus, etc... :?
BurningDoom
Next-Gen

Post by BurningDoom »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:People who do have all their consoles hooked up, how did you do it? Do you have a massive TV stand and component switcher box?

My handhelds and PC don't have to be hooked up :P . As for the rest: My Wii and XBox 360 are in the living room for easy internet access (yes, I'm still wired). The rest of them are hooked up in my man-cave to a single TV using power-strips and system-selectors. And yeah, I do have a massive TV stand. It's a huge shelf that's probably more meant for pictures and nick-nacks. But at the top is my TV, and the compartments below hold my consoles. I also have a smaller shelf right next to it that houses a couple of them.
Game Trade/Want List:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28206

Consoles Owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Super GB, N64, Gamecube, GB Player, Wii, Sega Power Base Converter, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, TurboGrafx-16, PlayStation, PS2 Slim, XBox, XBox 360, Game Boy, GBC, GBA-SP, DS, Game Gear, GG Master Converter
Hazerd
Next-Gen

Post by Hazerd »

Keep them in a closet at room temperature, these arent Mona Lisa's, your SNES will never be worth $100,000, at least not in the next 10 generations of your family lol.

This goes for any other consoles out there, and honestly consoles that are worth money is because they had a limited run or didnt live up there potential *cough* saturn, *cough* dreamcast *cough* 3do *cough*
etc....
BurningDoom
Next-Gen

Post by BurningDoom »

Hazerd wrote:Keep them in a closet at room temperature, these arent Mona Lisa's, your SNES will never be worth $100,000, at least not in the next 10 generations of your family lol.

This goes for any other consoles out there, and honestly consoles that are worth money is because they had a limited run or didnt live up there potential *cough* saturn, *cough* dreamcast *cough* 3do *cough*
etc....

Did Dreamcast have a limited run as 3DO or Saturn? I remember them being quite popular before PS2 blew them out of the water.
Game Trade/Want List:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28206

Consoles Owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Super GB, N64, Gamecube, GB Player, Wii, Sega Power Base Converter, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, TurboGrafx-16, PlayStation, PS2 Slim, XBox, XBox 360, Game Boy, GBC, GBA-SP, DS, Game Gear, GG Master Converter
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

I'd say only 2 years on the market is pretty damn limited.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Are cardboard boxes bad? I have a feeling that's what made my Dreamcast brown. :roll: :lol:

I'll probably do plastic shelving/containers in the future.
Hatta
Next-Gen

Post by Hatta »

CRTGAMER wrote:Still, why take a chance?

IMO, keeping carts connected protects their contacts from oxidation.
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
wip3outguy7
Next-Gen

Post by wip3outguy7 »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:People who do have all their consoles hooked up, how did you do it? Do you have a massive TV stand and component switcher box?

I have my TV on a small Ikea stand that fits 2 or 3 consoles. I have another stand off to the right that can hold another 2 or 3 consoles. To the left of the setup, I have a wire frame shelf that holds the remaining consoles and other accessories. I use a 4 port S-Video (one port shares two systems through a multi system cable) switch box to tie S-Video capable consoles to the TV. The Genesis and NES plug into the composite ports on the TV.

My ideal setup would be to keep the TV stand, find a wire frame column-like shelf that would stack all of my consoles and ditch the stand/shelf combo I have now.
Bradtemple87
Next-Gen

Post by Bradtemple87 »

I just dust once in a while and keep all games in their cases.
MY Sale/Trade Thread
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27739
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

Bradtemple87 wrote:I just dust once in a while and keep all games in their cases.

Yeah, this.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.