Gaming mechanics lost to time?

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
J T
Next-Gen

Gaming mechanics lost to time?

Post by J T »

I played a little Joust today and I was wondering why I haven't really seen this mechanic used more often. Joust has some slightly wonky physics for how you maneuver your bird, but they are controllable enough to achieve the simple goal of jockeying your flying ostrich into a high enough position that you win the joust. It's simple to pick up, difficult to master.

I can't really think of a modern equivalent to Joust though. Balloon Fight is about the only game I can think of that compares. I feel like there might have been some 3D game I played where I struggled to gain higher ground for an advantage over my opponent, but I could be imagining that. It's a cool mechanic, but it has kind of been lost to time.

What other games have mechanics or game goals that you don't see much these days?
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Re: Gaming mechanics lost to time?

Post by Gamerforlife »

I don't see the trap mechanics of the Tecmo Deception series used much. There were some brief parts in Sly Cooper 2 and 3 that had trap based gameplay, but that was it. Those parts were fun too

I liked the "rig" in Wild 9 and bashing enemies back and forth with it. You could do that to some enemies in Folklore too once their "id" was exposed. I really just like the idea of torturing enemies, which both Wild 9 and the Deception games were big on.

Whatever happened to "Gamespeak" from the Oddworld games? There were fun ways to implement that

Anyone remember the anti-grav gameplay of Subterranea?
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Post by BoringSupreez »

Health packs are practically gone from FPS games, except Valve's. Everyone does the COD regenerating health thing.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

On a related note, I think there are a few old games that have seen their mechanics worked back into the fold.

For example, I think Plants VS Zombies is really just a more advanced version of Tapper. And VVVVVV took the gravity flipping mechanic from Metal Storm and explored it with more depth.
Hatta
Next-Gen

Post by Hatta »

You're right. Why don't more games use bird ass as a weapon? Why no 3d bird ass?
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

BoringSupreez wrote:Health packs are practically gone from FPS games, except Valve's. Everyone does the COD regenerating health thing.

You should check out Hard Reset. Health doesn't regenerate, but your armor does. Armor acts like the Doom-style mitigation rather than completely blocking damage til it runs out.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Hatta
Next-Gen

Post by Hatta »

Gamerforlife wrote:Anyone remember the anti-grav gameplay of Subterranea?

A bullet-hell gravity shooter would be something, wouldn't it.
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
Hazerd
Next-Gen

Post by Hazerd »

there is a quest in World Of Warcraft in the Cataclysm expansion that has you joust on a "jouster"

http://www.wowhead.com/quest=25560

the first comment mentions the Joust reference, it is green because it has been rated up by other users meaning they agree.

when you flap your wings, it pushes you forward and you need to adjust direction with the mouse and keep pressing the flap button otherwise youll fall.
DinnerX
Next-Gen

Post by DinnerX »

I haven't played many new games with an invincibility power up, but that could just be me.

Games with slippery ice stages are fun, but I haven't seen much of them lately either.
Since this signature affects old posts, I'm leaving a message here in case anyone searches for my username. This account died in early 2013. I am no longer a fundamentalist.

Don't add to my problems by pretending my past views are still held in the present. I do not have any patience for that. Feel free to ask me what I think now.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Gumshoe for the NES was a really unique light gun platformer game. I never played anything else like it.