Post Your Non-Auction Goods Here
jemsic
24-bit

FS: Custom Dreamcast Arcade Stick

by jemsic Wed May 03, 2006 7:47 pm

Many of you have already seen it, but here's the link to the pictures:
Code: Select all
http://www.angelfire.com/planet/jemsic/dreamcaststick.htm

I made this stick awhile ago. It's really a joy to play with. It's made with real arcade parts, concave buttons with a competition joystick. A custom overlay I made in photoshop with plexiglass over it. The screws are even flush with the plexiglass, so you won't feel them while you're playing. It doesn't get more heavy duty than this.

PM me with any offers
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Wed May 03, 2006 11:02 pm

:shock: **drool**

Incredible!
I'd love to hear more details and/or see more pictures.
Where'd you get all the artwork from?
how did you print it?

I've posted this on RoomPlay, BTW:
http://www.racketboy.com/roomplay/2006/ ... stick.html
jemsic
24-bit

by jemsic Wed May 03, 2006 11:20 pm

Cool! Thanks for posting it!

I got all the artwork from Sega's Media FTP site. They have absolutely ULTRA-QUALITY pictures of all their characters that magazines like ODCM used. Then I used photoshop to cut and paste all the characters, and arranged them till I liked it. I couldn't print it myself (way too big), so I had this guy at a custom print shop do it for me. I'm not sure what kind of paper he used, but it turned out to be this super-glossy poster (he made me 2, just in case I needed a second :P ).

If you want some more pictures, I could probably take some more tomorrow. But this was only my first try. I've already got some great ideas and am going to make one 10 times better soon :wink:. I can't wait to get started.
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Wed May 03, 2006 11:30 pm

sweet -- I saw you posted a link to that FTP before, but never got around to checking it out.
I can't wait to see your future projects :)
jemsic
24-bit

by jemsic Thu May 04, 2006 12:09 am

This time, I'm working on the overlay first. The reason for that is because I want to make sure I buy buttons that match perfectly to the artwork. Do you have any suggestions on the type of artwork you'd like to see? I'm making a few different ones right now. The first one is a power stone theme.
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Thu May 04, 2006 8:17 am

A Street Fighter 3: Third Strike one would rock :)
You should start selling these things on my store :)
jemsic
24-bit

by jemsic Thu May 04, 2006 12:12 pm

Hows this?
I used a picture of Akihabara for the backdrop.

And I would love to sell them on your store :D. At least then I wouldn't get 100 PMs asking me if I want to trade my arcade stick for 3 xbox games, lol.
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Thu May 04, 2006 1:01 pm

that is awesome :)

LOL about the offers.
How much do you think you would charge for such beauties?

Would you consider doing them for other systems as well?

The Saturn and XBox would be sweet.

There's no chance of wireless ones is there? You would be my best friend for life if there was :D
jemsic
24-bit

by jemsic Thu May 04, 2006 1:18 pm

Well for this first one I made, I'm probably not going to sell it. I WANT to sell it, but the shipping would probably be $20-30 (its humongous), plus the $50 I spent on parts, plus all the work I put into it... I would have to get an offer of at least $100 bucks for it (plus a little more for shipping). But these next ones I'm making will definitely sell. Shipping would only be $10-15, and they'll be portable and much better looking. Maybe a little bigger than the DC agetek stick. They'd look good enough that people would want to pay $100-$200 for one. I'm just waiting on the parts now (ordered them last night) to start building.

I don't have an xbox, but I can't imagine it being any harder than a dreamcast controller. Or I could just make it for psx, and people could buy adapters for whatever system they want. Saturn's just as easy too. I guess I could take on requests, but they'd have to pay in advance for a request job.

There's no way I could mass-produce these. These are strictly one-offs, that I don't plan on reproducing. Each one will be uniquely special so that everyone who buys one will each have a truly custom stick.

There may be a possibility of wireless ones (of my new models), but no one would want a wireless version of my first model. Sitting that thing in your lap would crush your legs, lol.
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Thu May 04, 2006 2:05 pm

Yeah, I can understand the "no mass-produce" things, but if you had a few made up ahead of time, I'd be more than happy to list them on the store.

And we could also set up a order form type thing for custom jobs.
Return to Buy/Sell/Trade