I'll be going for world records in support of the IVGHOF

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
YoshiEgg25
Next-Gen

I'll be going for world records in support of the IVGHOF

Post by YoshiEgg25 »

Star Worlds Arcade Press Release wrote:VIDEO GAMING FOR A CAUSE

DeKalb, IL
(May 22, 2011) – This coming weekend, May 27-30, video game players from around the globe are encouraged to participate in GameDay 2011. This will be the world’s first on-line streaming event where players can participate to support a cause near and dear to their heart, the International Video Game Hall of Fame & Museum.

GameDay is a fundraiser put on and hosted by gamers in an effort to bring awareness of and financial support to the not for profit Hall of Fame. The organization is devoted to recognizing excellence in the field of electronic gaming and preserving the artifacts and memorabilia of the video game industry.

Star Worlds Arcade, in DeKalb, Illinois, will be hosting several gamers who will be streaming and will be holding tournaments to benefit the Hall of Fame. At least two of the guests, Geoff Maxfield and Mitchell Meerman, will be attempting world record scores. Star Worlds owner Patrick O’Malley will also be streaming his games for fun and getting sponsors to donate funds.

The arcade also plans to have what they call “The Stream Machine” that, for a tax-deductible donation to the Hall of Fame, will allow casual guests to play the game of their choice and have it streamed on-line.

During this same weekend through June 4, Star Worlds Arcade is collecting canned food donations. This is an effort to assist a soon to be 10 years young gamer who, for the past 5 years, has asked his family and friends to bring him food and paper goods in lieu of birthday gifts. In turn, he donates these items to the local food pantry. We want to take this opportunity to support this youngster and recognize him for his public awareness.

Star Worlds Arcade will be open normal hours on Saturday and Sunday. On Monday, May 30, the arcade will be open 11 a.m. – 3 p.m. for an unlimited game play event. There will be a $5.00 door charge and proceeds will be donated to the Hall of Fame.

I'll be going for world records in Pokémon Pinball and Mario Kart DS this Saturday starting at 1:00 PM Central. If you can come out to DeKalb to support me, great! If you can't, I'll be streaming the attempts online here. All streamers associated with GameDay will be streaming on GameDay's website (which I still haven't been added to).

I'd be very appreciative if people could donate to the IVGHOF whether you're watching me or not. This is a big thing to try to get the event back on track for next year.

If you'd like, you can also pledge money to the Hall of Fame for every world record I break. Just so you know, that number may be anywhere from two to forty-three, so you might want to put a cap on that if you want to do that. :P

If you guys have any questions about what I'm doing, what GameDay is doing, or what the IVGHOF is/does, I can answer any questions.

Thanks guys, hope to have you watching on Saturday!
Gaming accomplishments:
Nibbler (marathon): 251,169,160 / Nibbler (one life): 5,263,360 (WR)
Donkey Kong: 423,100 [L12-1] (150th place as of 2019-01-15)
Super Smash Bros. (N64): Ranked top 5 in Wisconsin from Q1 2016 to Q2 2017
Shrek SuperSlam: won largest tournament in game's history (Shrekfest 2018)

Speedrun.com Profile (contains multiple WRs)
brunoafh
Next-Gen

Re: I'll be going for world records in support of the IVGHOF

Post by brunoafh »

What are the current world records, and how does one set a record for Mario Kart?
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

If it is the Pokemon Pinball on GBA, I advise you to not do it. That game has a max score, but it is easy enough to "go infinite" (at least, I managed to get to 9 extras and I last long enough on each that if I lose one I can recover 2 or 3 even. I don't have more than 9 because that is the cap)... After that it is a question of being patient and grinding. And the max score requires I think months of play to achieve. I read on some message board that a girl only played this game and had this score maxed.

Ivo.
YoshiEgg25
Next-Gen

Post by YoshiEgg25 »

brunoafh wrote:What are the current world records, and how does one set a record for Mario Kart?

All current world records are at Twin Galaxies' website (http://www.twingalaxies.com/), and check the FAQ and individual scores to check rules for them.

Ivo wrote:If it is the Pokemon Pinball on GBA, I advise you to not do it. That game has a max score, but it is easy enough to "go infinite" (at least, I managed to get to 9 extras and I last long enough on each that if I lose one I can recover 2 or 3 even. I don't have more than 9 because that is the cap)... After that it is a question of being patient and grinding. And the max score requires I think months of play to achieve. I read on some message board that a girl only played this game and had this score maxed.

Ivo.

It's the GBC version, don't worry. :)

In any case, standard Twin Galaxies rules are that you can't pause unless the game requires it for a menu (Zelda, most RPGs, etc.). So you can go as long as you can without pausing, which is limited by your system's battery life, your camcorder's recording limit, and your own endurance.

If they can get "infinite" points in that time, all the power to them. But the records aren't even close to infinite on PP: Ruby and Sapphire (2,743,835,300 and 1,638,900,668 on the Ruby and Sapphire boards, respectively).
Gaming accomplishments:

Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

YoshiEgg25 wrote:It's the GBC version, don't worry. :)

In any case, standard Twin Galaxies rules are that you can't pause unless the game requires it for a menu (Zelda, most RPGs, etc.). So you can go as long as you can without pausing, which is limited by your system's battery life, your camcorder's recording limit, and your own endurance.

If they can get "infinite" points in that time, all the power to them. But the records aren't even close to infinite on PP: Ruby and Sapphire (2,743,835,300 and 1,638,900,668 on the Ruby and Sapphire boards, respectively).

Ah yes, in that case it is not surprising as the rules demand everything must be played in one session. I mean, you can't stop to eat or drink very well. I don't think I like this no pause rule in general! For many games it will make it endurance limited instead of skill limited.

Ivo.
Inazuma
Next-Gen

Post by Inazuma »

Ivo wrote:Ah yes, in that case it is not surprising as the rules demand everything must be played in one session. I mean, you can't stop to eat or drink very well. I don't think I like this no pause rule in general! For many games it will make it endurance limited instead of skill limited.

Ivo.

I've noticed this also. It really is a shame when how long one can stay awake is more important than how good they are at the game. They really should change the record to most points in a 4 hour period, or whatever. Not being able to eat/drink, and needing to piss/shit in an adult diaper just to beat a record is pretty silly.

Back in my Dance Dance Revolution days, I once played for 8 hours, only taking two quick breaks to eat a slice of pizza. I never needed to piss because I was sweating the whole time. I was so good at DDR and my physical endurance was to the point where my body literally stopped getting tired. I heard about various records for longest DDR play session but I knew the record has nothing to do with the actual game. It was just who could last the longest without eating/sleeping/shitting. What a pathetic record.

@OP
Good luck with your records!
YoshiEgg25
Next-Gen

Post by YoshiEgg25 »

Inazuma wrote:
Ivo wrote:Ah yes, in that case it is not surprising as the rules demand everything must be played in one session. I mean, you can't stop to eat or drink very well. I don't think I like this no pause rule in general! For many games it will make it endurance limited instead of skill limited.

Ivo.

I've noticed this also. It really is a shame when how long one can stay awake is more important than how good they are at the game. They really should change the record to most points in a 4 hour period, or whatever. Not being able to eat/drink, and needing to piss/shit in an adult diaper just to beat a record is pretty silly.

Back in my Dance Dance Revolution days, I once played for 8 hours, only taking two quick breaks to eat a slice of pizza. I never needed to piss because I was sweating the whole time. I was so good at DDR and my physical endurance was to the point where my body literally stopped getting tired. I heard about various records for longest DDR play session but I knew the record has nothing to do with the actual game. It was just who could last the longest without eating/sleeping/shitting. What a pathetic record.

I agree with that, in most cases. I think their reasoning is that pausing the game at certain times can cause glitches that can unfairly assist the player or the player using that opportunity to possibly cheat by switching screens or something. Also, the fact that timing speed runs becomes much harder because of stopping the timer when you pause.

Inazuma wrote:@OP
Good luck with your records!

Thanks Inazuma! I really appreciate it. :)
Gaming accomplishments:

Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

YoshiEgg25 wrote:I think their reasoning is that pausing the game at certain times can cause glitches that can unfairly assist the player or the player using that opportunity to possibly cheat by switching screens or something. Also, the fact that timing speed runs becomes much harder because of stopping the timer when you pause.

Indeed there are certainly good reasons in some games for not allowing pausing, but it should be game by game with the default being it is allowed. They already allow it for games where pause accesses the menu so...

But more important than this philosophy stuff, have a good run for the records!
YoshiEgg25
Next-Gen

Post by YoshiEgg25 »

Ivo wrote:But more important than this philosophy stuff, have a good run for the records!

Thanks Ivo!

If you guys didn't catch the little blurb, I'll be streaming the whole thing starting at 1:00 PM Central (2 PM ET, 6 PM GMT). Apparently, I'll also be interviewed in the arcade's first podcast at some point that weekend.

And if anyone is donating to the Hall of Fame with the donations being related to my record attempts, you can donate here and use the code "SWA" in PayPal.

Thanks for the support, guys! Hopefully we can get the IVGHOF to what it can and should be: a mecca for gamers!
Gaming accomplishments:

YoshiEgg25
Next-Gen

Post by YoshiEgg25 »

Okay. So you guys. This is TOMORROW.

It will be watchable HERE and the stream's name is "District 151" (selectable in the bottom box on the left sidebar).

Hope you guys watch!
Gaming accomplishments: