Let's have a western animation thread

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Re: Let's have a western animation thread

Post by Gamerforlife »

Yeah, Under the Red Hood is amazing. I've read the comics, and it's a pretty good adaptation. The more I think about it, I think Under the Red Hood and Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker Uncut (the edited version is a travesty) are my two favorite animated Batman movies. Return of the Joker, among many other things it does well, has a pretty awesome play on words by the Joker in a scene where he says, "Eye on the other hand." For anyone familiar with that scene, I think it's some brilliant writing.

I'd actually rank Return of the Joker and Under the Red Hood over Nolan's Batman Begins and Dark Knight Rises. The Dark Knight provides some stiff competition though. Ledger killed it as the Joker, so damn good.

Year One is great too. It's pretty much a page for page perfect adaptation of the comic.

Justice League: Doom and Justice Crisis on Two Earths are also great Batman movies, even though they got Justice League in the title. They're really all about his stories, that just happen to involve the League. You stick Batman in any DC story though, and it's hard for him not to shine brighter than the other characters. He's DC's coolest hero.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
MrEco
Next-Gen

Post by MrEco »

Got em in the mail. Haven't watched either yet. But I really like the case Spawn comes in. Everything should be in a hard metal bound case like it, lol.

Also, in other western animation news, I'm gonna be pre-ordering the Legend of Korra book 1 DVD soon. And I already own all three seasons of Avatar.
I feel old when talking to anyone my age yet too inexperienced to effectively talk to anyone older. Life is grand that way.

My twitter handle is @EckoExplores
indecks
Next-Gen

Post by indecks »

I watched Superman Unbound recently. It was ok. I love me some John Noble, but Brainiac was severely underused in this movie. I got past the different art style (I feel that all DCAU videos should be Timm style, lol)

It was also rather short and not a lot happened. I was hoping for more. But it wasn't too bad. I liked JL Doom better. And even though I didn't like the art, I liked Superman vs The Elite better too.
brunoafh
Next-Gen

Post by brunoafh »

Ultra Family Guy spoilers
What's up with Brian supposedly being killed off? I looked it up a bit and I can't tell if they are serious or not (as in serious about the character being permanently killed off). I can't see what the point in killing a major and popular character from a comedy series like this would be. A minor character wouldn't be as weird, but we're talking about the central cast here.

And yes, an obvious answer is "because they wanted people to do what you are doing right now!" Still seems weird though, the show will never be the same now, in a bad way.
BurningDoom
Next-Gen

Post by BurningDoom »

brunoafh wrote:Ultra Family Guy spoilers
What's up with Brian supposedly being killed off? I looked it up a bit and I can't tell if they are serious or not (as in serious about the character being permanently killed off). I can't see what the point in killing a major and popular character from a comedy series like this would be. A minor character wouldn't be as weird, but we're talking about the central cast here.

And yes, an obvious answer is "because they wanted people to do what you are doing right now!" Still seems weird though, the show will never be the same now, in a bad way.

They kept Kenny dead for a while on South Park.
Game Trade/Want List:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28206

Consoles Owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Super GB, N64, Gamecube, GB Player, Wii, Sega Power Base Converter, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, TurboGrafx-16, PlayStation, PS2 Slim, XBox, XBox 360, Game Boy, GBC, GBA-SP, DS, Game Gear, GG Master Converter
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Post by BoringSupreez »

BurningDoom wrote:

Yes, but the strength of South Park's writing is so much greater than that of Family Guy. Few other shows could have done something like that and pulled it off.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Maybe Seth had grown dissatisfied with the character? Lately most of the episodes that feature him have shown him to be a pretty terrible person, and then there's the giant Quagmire rant (don't forget that Seth also voices Quagmire).
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
GazongaJoe
24-bit

Post by GazongaJoe »

BoringSupreez wrote:
BurningDoom wrote:

Yes, but the strength of South Park's writing is so much greater than that of Family Guy. Few other shows could have done something like that and pulled it off.

You think that's bad!? What about the time I did the la cooca racha with paul mcartney!?
Even the horses are cut in half......
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

I guess I'll spoil this too since Mr Popo did, though honestly I find the idea of spoilering Family Guy a bit silly.

Usually, when a series starts doing drastic things like killing off a major character, it's a pretty good sign that the show is on its way out. I wouldn't be surprised if Family Guy got cancelled after another season or two.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Macfarlane stated a couple years ago that he wanted to stop doing the show. The fanbase obviously does not want him to. So he decided to start giving fans the middle finger. I would not be surprised if in the Christmas episode where "Stewie tries to get the only thing he wants for Christmas" he dies off aswell.