Playstation 2 games that support mouse and keyboard via USB?

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
Flodder450
24-bit

Playstation 2 games that support mouse and keyboard via USB?

Post by Flodder450 »

Are ther any Playstation 2 games/homebrew games that support the use of mouse and keyboard via the 2 USB port on the front of the unit?

and was the Fireware port on the front ever used?

i would love to know

thanks in advance :D
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Playstation 2 games that support mouse and keyboard via USB?

Post by noiseredux »

from wiki:

Mouse Function

Unlike the PlayStation, which required the use of an official Sony PlayStation Mouse to play mouse-compatible games, the few PS2 games with mouse support work with standard USB mice.[38]

USB Mouse compatible games - Age of Empires II,Armored Core 2, Armored Core 3, ATV Quad Power Racing 2, Deus Ex, EverQuest Online Adventures: Frontiers, Final Fantasy XI, Half-Life (video game),[39] Red Faction 2, Resident Evil 4, Sky Odyssey, Unreal Tournament.[40]

Additionally, a mouse that emulates the right analog stick of a standard controller, the EdgeFX, was manufactured by Spitfish, allowing non-mouse-compatible games to be played with a mouse. It is no longer in production.[41][42]

from noiseredux:

also the official PS2 Linux kit (and Net Yaroze too I think) used the mouse/keyboard. As far as homebrew, not sure. I"d guess that SCUMMVM used the mouse though.
Last edited by noiseredux on Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

Most games that use it, feel really tacked on. Most the time the game has a PC counterpart and you are better off to play that.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Another Mouse Keyboard PS2 game - Star Trek Elite Force. I wrote that mouse section, I just updated Wiki for Elite Force and included noise's input on PS2 Linux.

Maybe more games out there?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_2#Mouse_Function

Mouse Function
Unlike the PlayStation, which required the use of an official Sony PlayStation Mouse to play mouse-compatible games, the few PS2 games with mouse support work with a standard USB mouse as well as a USB Trackball.

USB Mouse compatible games – Age of Empires II, Armored Core 2, Armored Core 3, ATV Quad Power Racing 2, Deus Ex, Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII, EverQuest Online Adventures: Frontiers, Final Fantasy XI, Half-Life (video game), Myst III: Exile, Red Faction 2, Resident Evil 4, Sky Odyssey, Star Trek Elite Force, Tokyo Xtreme Racer 3, Unreal Tournament.

The official PS2 Linux kit also uses the USB mouse and keyboard.

Additionally, a mouse that emulates the right analog stick of a standard controller, the EdgeFX, was manufactured by Spitfish, allowing non-mouse-compatible games to be played with a mouse. It is no longer in production.

That alternative, the EdgeFX is not as responsive as a mouse, but not bad.

EDIT
Just added three more games to Wiki thanks to Anapan's Reply below.
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:44 pm, edited 5 times in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Nice! Added Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII , Myst III: Exile and Tokyo Extreme Racer 3 to Wiki.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

Just checked my case of Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII and it does not mention USB mouse support (Half Life does), I will have to test it out later, perhaps it is not supported in the PAL release? Or perhaps not advertised on the case.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Since the topic I listed in my last post I have purchased a PS2 SmartJoy Frag, and I was pretty impressed. It's mouse-analog function is better than the implementations used in most of the games mentioned due to it's sensitivity settings and it works well for what it does. It's very configurable, but still, weird feeling. I never really got used to it. It's worth buying tho if you play FPS games on PS2 at the price Rich's PSX Parts has it listed. It's also worth mentioning that Rich's store seems to be the only online dealer that still carries them (he's got them listed on ebay too) so if you want one I'd suggest you get it now.
It helps to tune it using a PS2-USB adapter in windows while watching the joystick control panel to see just how it's working while moving the mouse around.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Anapan wrote:Since the topic I listed in my last post I have purchased a PS2 SmartJoy Frag, and I was pretty impressed. It's mouse-analog function is better than the implementations used in most of the games mentioned due to it's sensitivity settings and it works well for what it does. It's very configurable, but still, weird feeling. I never really got used to it. It's worth buying tho if you play FPS games on PS2 at the price Rich's PSX Parts has it listed. It's also worth mentioning that Rich's store seems to be the only online dealer that still carries them (he's got them listed on ebay too) so if you want one I'd suggest you get it now.
It helps to tune it using a PS2-USB adapter in windows while watching the joystick control panel to see just how it's working while moving the mouse around.

THANKYOU!

I have a USB Mouse/USB Keyboard and the EdgeFX. I now have a third mouse option on the way, but for a whole different reason. I just ordered the PS2 SmartJoy Frag after seeing this in a review. :mrgreen:
http://www.playstationpro2.com/reviews/2004/smartjoy_frag_review.html

Setting up the SmartJoy FRAG is very, very easy. Simply plug it into an empty controller port and attach your keyboard and mouse. When you start up a game, the LEDs on the keyboard will light up and tell you if your input devices are recognized. Before you actually start to play, you should set key assignments. If you are playing SOCOM II: U.S. Navy Seals, Medal of Honor: Frontline, TimeSplitters 2, James Bond 007: Nightfire, Rainbow Six 3, Ghost Recon: Jungle Storm, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, or REZ, then you can use the SmartJoy FRAG's preset control schemes for the games I just listed by pressing F1 - F8. For example, the F1 key loads the SOCOM II button scheme, which binds the jump button to the spacebar, the change stance command to the left shift key, and so on.

For instance, switching mouse movement to the left analog stick can be useful ------
Now I don't have to mod my spare EdgeFX. I have a ton of games that would benefit with the mouse operating as the LEFT analog stick!

My Macally Trakball and my Arcade Mouse Spinner Mod are waiting! 8)

There are a few PS2 Retro Compilations I will love to try the spinner on. Tac Scan and Tempest come to mind. Can't wait for Rez played with a Trakball! I'll post a full review once I get this baby.

No longer made?
http://www.smartjoy.com/
http://www.orang3.net/store/welcome/smartjoy.html

noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

if that thing plugs into a controller port, then it should also support PS1 mouse games. Right??