Together Retro: Dark Forces

Join in on our classic gaming club!
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Dark Forces

Post by CRTGAMER »

YoshiEgg25 wrote:
CRTGAMER wrote:Say, why did my previous Reply lose its signature?

You broke it. :P

You probably accidentally unchecked "Attach a signature" under the post.
Oh okay, thanks. :oops:
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

dsheinem wrote:
SpaceBooger wrote:Argg... I hate the controls for this game.
I have the steam version and the controls are horrible when you are used to modern games. Anyone have any suggestions as to adding functionality to the mouse. I know that ctrl-f1 gets DOSbox's keymapper but I don't think that allows mouse mapping.
Any suggestions.

The mouse works by default in Steam and everything is auto-mapped to WASD, C for crouch, etc. I'm not sure what you mean...

I am using WASD controls but you have to use "page up" and "page down" to look up and down, the mouse only looks left and right. Its not cool to take your hand off the mouse to look up and then hit the 5 on the numberpad to center the view before returning your hand to mouse to aim and shoot.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
SwooshBear
Next-Gen

Post by SwooshBear »

Just played through the first two levels, and I forgot how good the cutscenes are in this game. I might start playing it on my ps2 since I don't have a ps1 controller with analog sticks, if that will work. A lot more fun than I remember. It reminds me of Doom (obviously) but easier.
Incognito D wrote:Mere months after buying my original GBA, Nintendo trolled me hard by releasing the SP.

Check me out on twitter: SwooshBear742
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

SpaceBooger wrote:
dsheinem wrote:
SpaceBooger wrote:Argg... I hate the controls for this game.
I have the steam version and the controls are horrible when you are used to modern games. Anyone have any suggestions as to adding functionality to the mouse. I know that ctrl-f1 gets DOSbox's keymapper but I don't think that allows mouse mapping.
Any suggestions.

The mouse works by default in Steam and everything is auto-mapped to WASD, C for crouch, etc. I'm not sure what you mean...

I am using WASD controls but you have to use "page up" and "page down" to look up and down, the mouse only looks left and right. Its not cool to take your hand off the mouse to look up and then hit the 5 on the numberpad to center the view before returning your hand to mouse to aim and shoot.

Got ya. That isn't bothering me very much, but a full on mouselook would be nice. I just chalk it up to part of the old school "charm."
YoshiEgg25
Next-Gen

Post by YoshiEgg25 »

SpaceBooger wrote:I am using WASD controls but you have to use "page up" and "page down" to look up and down, the mouse only looks left and right. Its not cool to take your hand off the mouse to look up and then hit the 5 on the numberpad to center the view before returning your hand to mouse to aim and shoot.

This makes it very unlikely that I'll be participating this month then unless you can remap those keys. My PgUp and PgDn are on my arrow keys and work in tandem with the Fn key.

Basically I'd have to hit two buttons at once to look up or down, meaning I'd be unable to move, shoot, or look sideways while I'm doing that.
Gaming accomplishments:
Nibbler (marathon): 251,169,160 / Nibbler (one life): 5,263,360 (WR)
Donkey Kong: 423,100 [L12-1] (150th place as of 2019-01-15)
Super Smash Bros. (N64): Ranked top 5 in Wisconsin from Q1 2016 to Q2 2017
Shrek SuperSlam: won largest tournament in game's history (Shrekfest 2018)

Speedrun.com Profile (contains multiple WRs)
AmishSamurai
Next-Gen

Post by AmishSamurai »

Bought it on the cheap over the Christmas sale. Installing it in preparation. Seen notices that dsheinem was playing already, and I muttered "no fair getting a head start" to myself.

I'd say I'll play this over Spring Break, but this game will be in serious competition with Dragon Age 2 and Pokemon Black. I'll squeeze in time though
MrPopo wrote:The life lesson here is jobs will come and go, but Earthbound will always be there for you.

I'm a girl btw
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

YoshiEgg25 wrote:This makes it very unlikely that I'll be participating this month then unless you can remap those keys. My PgUp and PgDn are on my arrow keys and work in tandem with the Fn key.

Basically I'd have to hit two buttons at once to look up or down, meaning I'd be unable to move, shoot, or look sideways while I'm doing that.

Ctrl-F1 lets you remap keys in DOSBox

Here is a list of controls for the Steam version:
Move mouse left and right: rotate view left and right
Mouse left-click: Fire

W Forwards
A Strafe Left
S Backwards
D Strafe Right

Space Jump
E Use
C Crouch

1 Fisticuffs Hand to hand
2 Modified Bryar Pistol
3 Stormtrooper Rifle
4 Thermal Detonator
5 Imperial Repeater Rifle
6 Jeron Fusion Cutter
7 I.M. Mines
8 Packered Mortar Gun
9 Stouker Concussion Rifle
0 Assault Cannon

Backspace Quickswitch last weapon

F1 PDA (Map, Weapons, Inventory, Objective, Mission)
F2 Infrared Goggles toggle
F3 Cleats toggle
F4 Gas Mask toggle
F5 Headtorch toggle
F6 Headwave toggle (weapon bob)
F7 HUD toggle
F8 Holster weapon/unholster weapon
F9 Cycle weapons forwards
F10 Cycle weapons back

Pause Pause game

Ctrl Primary Fire
R Secondary fire
Shift Sprint
Caps lock toggle walk
Tab Overhead map
+/- Zoom map in/out

Page up/down Pitch camera down/up
5 (keypad) Centre view vertically

Left arrow rotate view left
Right arrow Rotate view right
Alt + Left arrow strafe left
Alt + Right arrow strafe right
Alt + +/-(plus key/minus key) Change screen size
Alt + F8 Weapon automount toggle (Auto select better weapon on pickup)

Alt-Enter to toggle DosBox's fullscreen
Ctrl-F1 for the DosBox keymapper.

*control list from the Steam forums
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

SwooshBear wrote:Just played through the first two levels, and I forgot how good the cutscenes are in this game. I might start playing it on my ps2 since I don't have a ps1 controller with analog sticks, if that will work. A lot more fun than I remember. It reminds me of Doom (obviously) but easier.

it actually doesn't support analog sticks, so you're golden. It feels a lot like Doom actually, which is probably why I'm enjoying it.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Also worth noting is that the Steam version defaults to "Easy" for difficulty. Change that shit to normal!
Hatta
Next-Gen

Post by Hatta »

You can actually assign keys in the setup.exe, so no need for DosBox's key mapper. I'm using wasd with r and f as up and down. Pretty easy to use. Also, the game does auto-aim some, so most of the time you'll just be looking forward.

SwooshBear wrote:Just played through the first two levels, and I forgot how good the cutscenes are in this game.

No kidding. I love this style so much. 2d stills with bits and pieces animated. Digital audio with midi music. I even like the aliasing on the intro text as it scrolls into the distance.

Has anyone set this up in dosbox themselves? I wasn't able to get it to run without the CD. I copied CD.ID to C:/DARK, and ran the game. Selected C for my CD drive, it just stalls. Also tried the 'mount d .' trick as per the dosbox wiki. No luck there either. Keeping the image file on my hdd isn't a big deal though, just wondering if anyone got that to work.
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!