Why are tower defence games so addictive?

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
davesrandom

Re: Why are tower defence games so addictive?

Post by davesrandom »

Bloons Tower Defense 4 is pretty sick. You can play it online (just use Google), but the iPhone version lags far less.
irixith
Next-Gen

Post by irixith »

gtmtnbiker wrote:On the PSP, I've played Pixel Junk Deluxe (PSP mini) but didn't care for it.

PixelJunk Monsters Deluxe is not part of the minis program, it's a regular retail release.

It's also slightly different from the usual tower defense games, in that you control a character rather than a "battlefield" if you will. If you don't like it, it might be because of that simple change.
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

Post by Pulsar_t »

J T wrote:There's a new game on Steam that claims to be Tower Offense. It's called Anomaly:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/91200/?snr=1_4_4__13

Apparently, you have a convoy of trucks that you order and take care of. You are trying to get them to wind their way through a series of defense towers. Basically, it's a tower defense game where you are the aggressors. It looks kind of cool. The graphics are slick and I like the genre role reversal idea. I keep trying to download the demo, but the link isn't working for me for some reason.

Didn't like Anomaly unfortunately. Anyone here tried Sanctum?
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
Sideroller
128-bit

Post by Sideroller »

Gemcraft Chapter 0 and Gemcraft Labyrinth or both awesome and incredibly addicting Tower Defense games! I highly recommend them - oh and they're free.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

irixith wrote:
gtmtnbiker wrote:On the PSP, I've played Pixel Junk Deluxe (PSP mini) but didn't care for it.

PixelJunk Monsters Deluxe is not part of the minis program, it's a regular retail release.

It's also slightly different from the usual tower defense games, in that you control a character rather than a "battlefield" if you will. If you don't like it, it might be because of that simple change.

I'm a bit more than halfway through Plants Vs Zombies right now, and loving it. I realized I had never played a Tower Defense game before this. It's an interesting genre. I then thought about getting one for PSP, so Pixel Junk Monsters came to immediate mind. But irixith's mention of it not giving you control over the battle field -- that sounds very different than PvZ. I almost can't even picture how this would work? So my question is two-fold:

1) is Pixel Junk Monsters worth playing for fans of the PvZ battle style?
2) is there a better tower defense game on PSP?
irixith
Next-Gen

Post by irixith »

Vector TD & Fieldrunners come to mind, both minis.

Try PixelJunk Monsters anyway, you might like it. A lot of people list it in their top PSP games. Now that you've played PvsZ, which is amongst the very best, you're going to have trouble finding another one you'll like as much anyway!
gtmtnbiker
Next-Gen

Post by gtmtnbiker »

noiseredux wrote:1) is Pixel Junk Monsters worth playing for fans of the PvZ battle style?

Good question. I would like to know the same answer. I bought this a couple of years ago but didn't really play it much. I guess for me, I didn't really know the capabilities of the different weapons or the monsters.

The nice thing about PJM is that you have a lot more variety of terrains unlike PvZ which has lawn, pool, roof, night, fog

I can't get enough of PvZ. I have versions on the PC, DS, iPad, and iPod. Yes, I bought it 4 different times. The DS version was the most expensive at $19.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

gtmtnbiker wrote:I can't get enough of PvZ. I have versions on the PC, DS, iPad, and iPod. Yes, I bought it 4 different times. The DS version was the most expensive at $19.

I bougtht the PS3 physical release for $20, but it also included two other PopCap games as well.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

Pulsar_t wrote: Anyone here tried Sanctum?

It's decent. I'm not a huge tower defense fan, and because of the amount of enemies it more just feels like a spam fest.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

Post by Pulsar_t »

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/08/06/iron- ... next-week/

This XBLA exclusive is finally coming to PC.
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image