Why are tower defence games so addictive?

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

Why are tower defence games so addictive?

Post by Pulsar_t »

I'm only three games into the genre (Plants vs Zombies, Toy Soldiers and Defense Grid) but it's quickly becoming one of my favourites. What's the secret behind the formula's success, and what other games can you recommend me?
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
gtmtnbiker
Next-Gen

Re: Why are tower defence games so addictive?

Post by gtmtnbiker »

I really liked Plants vs Zombies. I just completed the first adventure mode. I like the different mini games/puzzles that come with it.

On the PSP, I've played Pixel Junk Deluxe (PSP mini) but didn't care for it. Maybe it is because it lacked an almanac that described the different monsters and weapons. I really didn't have an idea what I was doing. I should go back and try the game again sometimes.
jfe2
Next-Gen

Post by jfe2 »

Plants vs Zombies, Defense Grid, and Toy Soldiers just happen to be my favorite tower defense games of all time! They are all great for different reasons, but the different strategies involved in Defense Grid make it my absolute favorite! The levels that let you place your towers anywhere were the best IMO!
avrame
128-bit

Post by avrame »

I believe the reason they are so popular/fun is that you are purely in a defensive state. The game is very simple to the point that your don't concentrate on offense, flanking, abushes (ie Starcraft RTS genre). The game makes you turtle, and rewards you for doing so, which very few games actually do :)
If you aren't having a good time, why are you playing?
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

If you have access to it, starship defence for DSiWare is fantastic.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

I really like Plants VS Zombies and Defense Grid, but I tried to play a few out of the millions of free online tower defense games and I find them pretty boring in comparison. Plants VS Zombies and Defense Grid are both designed brilliantly. It starts out with a basic objective to defend yourself from a wave of enemies, but it builds and builds on that basic goals with new weapons, new enemies, and new terrain. The goal is the same, but the way you reach it changes with each new element added in a level. By the later stages, you are pulling off some really complex strategy. What makes these games fun is that you are learning complex strategy the farther you get and the game designers have designed the game to fit your expected learning curve.

What makes this genre great, is also its potential downfall though. Once you have played a few tower defense games, new ones don't seem to add much other than a new setting and once you are familiar with the kinds of winning strategies you need, having to go through another designer created learning curve is kind of annoying. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think the genre can sustain itself largely because Plants VS Zombies and Defense Grid are so good. Who knows though. Sanctum has an interesting take on the genre that combines tower defense with first person shooting. I suppose a creative designer can make anything work.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

Post by Pulsar_t »

Nicely put JT! Speaking of fps tower defence games, I believe Iron Grip: Warlord was there first. I did play it for a few weeks and it was fun while it lasted.
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
Frizz.Meister
32-bit

Post by Frizz.Meister »

If you love them buy Warcraft 3 for the PC/Mac and go online. There must be 100+ really good tower defence custom games which are all multiplayer and free. Google elemental tower defence to see the sort of thing i mean.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

There's a new game on Steam that claims to be Tower Offense. It's called Anomaly:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/91200/?snr=1_4_4__13

Apparently, you have a convoy of trucks that you order and take care of. You are trying to get them to wind their way through a series of defense towers. Basically, it's a tower defense game where you are the aggressors. It looks kind of cool. The graphics are slick and I like the genre role reversal idea. I keep trying to download the demo, but the link isn't working for me for some reason.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
jfe2
Next-Gen

Post by jfe2 »

That actually looks really fun. I'll have to give the demo a shot soon.