Next-Gen

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

Post by RCBH928 »

sorry I meant to post this in the Random GAMING thoughts thread
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

any one feels a little uneasy that there is only like 3 online stores you can buy movies/tv shows from?
I am not even sure if they have in the ToS that they can withdraw the movies from your library if they decide so, or just ban your account because they don't like you.
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

REPO Man wrote:Also, pretty fucked that the 3DO was the only US-released home console to get a port of Alone in the Dark, though it's still more than AitD3 got.

It's also the only console to get a port of Star Control II.

Also, I love Alone in the Dark. It is the originator of the "Resident Evil Clones" genre...
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
marurun

Post by marurun »

The They Create Worlds podcast just dropped an episode on the creation and context of Alone in the Dark. It’s quite a fascinating story.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

marurun wrote:The They Create Worlds podcast just dropped an episode on the creation and context of Alone in the Dark. It’s quite a fascinating story.

Thanks for the heads up on this, I've gotta give it a listen. My cousins had Alone in the Dark on the 3DO back then! It was a memorable experience for sure. Would enjoy hearing about the making of the game.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Alone in the Dark is actually the only reason I own a 3DO...and I don't own the game for it.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I really respect Alone in the Dark. It was Resident Evil before Resident Evil. Sadly, though, and like many innovative games, it’s really, REALLY rough. Worth a playthrough for fans of the genre (and tank controls!), but not a game I plan to revisit.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

The only port of it I ever really tried to play was on Gameboy Color. I tried really hard, but I just couldn't.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

Ack wrote:Alone in the Dark is actually the only reason I own a 3DO...and I don't own the game for it.

I only have three games for my 3DO and sadly this isn't one of them either. We need to change that!

prfsnl_gmr wrote:I really respect Alone in the Dark. It was Resident Evil before Resident Evil. Sadly, though, and like many innovative games, it’s really, REALLY rough. Worth a playthrough for fans of the genre (and tank controls!), but not a game I plan to revisit.

Totally agree. I never beat the game back then, just saw my cousins play through parts of it, so I actually would like to experience it again and possibly try to get through it myself.
marurun

Post by marurun »

That could be a fun topic for a site article: games that were groundbreaking at the time but really show their age now. Very different angle than the whole “old games that still hold up” that’s more prevalent.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.