The Wrestling Thread

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Reprise
Next-Gen

Re: The Wrestling Thread

Post by Reprise »

Raging Justice wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:43 pm
Reprise wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:50 pm Yeah, I don't like how Cody talks about AEW. There's something very 'off' about it... Brandi was also far more negative about the company.

In one breath he will be saying how he still loves AEW and will always root for them, but then earlier this year when he re-signed with WWE, he basically scoffed at the idea he would even contemplate signing again with AEW, as if it is so beneath him. Obviously no one expects him to go back to AEW (at least right now), he's one of (if not the) top guys in WWE, he was going to main event Wrestlemania and then win the title, but his compliments of AEW often come across as backhanded compliments.

Speaking of AEW, is it being teased that there will be some kind of power struggle storyline and perhaps even an onscreen GM position being introduced?

There are some theories going around that an onscreen GM role could be either: Scott D'Amore, Kenny Omega or Sting.

Or maybe it's just silly internet speculation :lol:
I don't think it's a terrible idea, but some of WWE's worst periods creatively involved general managers so they need to be careful and do it right because "general manager" is an immediate red flag to some people. Plus, some will criticize it as AEW being too much like WWE. William Regal would have been so perfect. I also would love it if AEW had Cesar Duran a.k.a. Dario Cueto. I actually think it would be funny if Hangman temporarily became a GM. Just seeing him mess him the Bucks, Okada, and Swerve could be fun. With Swerve it could be this funny, passive aggressive thing. "Woah, easy there Swerve. Nobody is screwing you. If you're the champion that you say you are you should have no problem defending it in a no disqualification match against 10 other men"

I love the Hangman/Swerve rivalry and want to see it one day lead to them being friends and teaming together
Tony Khan has confirmed a new authority figure will be revealed tonight. So I guess it's official, although I guess it will be temporary as part of this storyline.

I agree, some of WWE's worst periods were when they had GMs. I also agree they have to be careful, because the story already feels unoriginal and very reminiscent of stuff WWE has done before. I guess this is more like when WWE had guys like Sgt Slaughter, Shawn Michaels, Mick Foley and William Regal in an authority role than GMs though (side note: You're right, Regal would have been perfect. It's a shame they lost him).

My guess is it's Kenny. He's out for a long period of time, he's back tonight anyways, it makes sense in terms of the story and he's popular and so keeping him on screen makes sense. Otherwise, all I can think of is Sting, and that would also make sense with his recent history with the Bucks.

Scott D'Amore, as I saw some speculate, seems unlikely and wishful thinking. It could get them some positive attention, perhaps, although I don't know how loved and known he is to mainstream audiences. He would be a useful asset behind the scenes though.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

Reprise wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:25 am
Raging Justice wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:43 pm
Reprise wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:50 pm Yeah, I don't like how Cody talks about AEW. There's something very 'off' about it... Brandi was also far more negative about the company.

In one breath he will be saying how he still loves AEW and will always root for them, but then earlier this year when he re-signed with WWE, he basically scoffed at the idea he would even contemplate signing again with AEW, as if it is so beneath him. Obviously no one expects him to go back to AEW (at least right now), he's one of (if not the) top guys in WWE, he was going to main event Wrestlemania and then win the title, but his compliments of AEW often come across as backhanded compliments.

Speaking of AEW, is it being teased that there will be some kind of power struggle storyline and perhaps even an onscreen GM position being introduced?

There are some theories going around that an onscreen GM role could be either: Scott D'Amore, Kenny Omega or Sting.

Or maybe it's just silly internet speculation :lol:
I don't think it's a terrible idea, but some of WWE's worst periods creatively involved general managers so they need to be careful and do it right because "general manager" is an immediate red flag to some people. Plus, some will criticize it as AEW being too much like WWE. William Regal would have been so perfect. I also would love it if AEW had Cesar Duran a.k.a. Dario Cueto. I actually think it would be funny if Hangman temporarily became a GM. Just seeing him mess him the Bucks, Okada, and Swerve could be fun. With Swerve it could be this funny, passive aggressive thing. "Woah, easy there Swerve. Nobody is screwing you. If you're the champion that you say you are you should have no problem defending it in a no disqualification match against 10 other men"

I love the Hangman/Swerve rivalry and want to see it one day lead to them being friends and teaming together
Tony Khan has confirmed a new authority figure will be revealed tonight. So I guess it's official, although I guess it will be temporary as part of this storyline.

I agree, some of WWE's worst periods were when they had GMs. I also agree they have to be careful, because the story already feels unoriginal and very reminiscent of stuff WWE has done before. I guess this is more like when WWE had guys like Sgt Slaughter, Shawn Michaels, Mick Foley and William Regal in an authority role than GMs though (side note: You're right, Regal would have been perfect. It's a shame they lost him).

My guess is it's Kenny. He's out for a long period of time, he's back tonight anyways, it makes sense in terms of the story and he's popular and so keeping him on screen makes sense. Otherwise, all I can think of is Sting, and that would also make sense with his recent history with the Bucks.

Scott D'Amore, as I saw some speculate, seems unlikely and wishful thinking. It could get them some positive attention, perhaps, although I don't know how loved and known he is to mainstream audiences. He would be a useful asset behind the scenes though.
Tony Kahn hates surprises doesn't he? Like, why would you announce a new GM and Kenny Omega at the same time? It actually makes me hope it's NOT Kenny Omega

I think BCC Bryan Danielson would be an awesome GM. "Do what I say or I'LL KICK YOUR FUCKING HEAD IN! Then I'll have Moxley make you bleed!" :lol:

Bryan would be like a goddamn prison warden and I can totally picture Claudio as a guy used to keep everyone in line too :lol:

All joking aside, we've talked about it before. Bryan could LEGIT take over for Tony Kahn some day

STOP...PISSING...EVERYONE...OFF...SAMMY :lol:

EDIT: Come to think of it, Christian would be an AMAZING general manager too, but in all seriousness we need a face GM right now for obvious reasons.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

"Coooody Raheem Rhodes! When Cody starts racism ends, Wakanda's leader"

I can't get it out of my head, these are the only lyrics I'll ever hear now anytime Cody's music plays :lol:
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

I don't think there's ever been a better time to bring back Hangman Adam Paige. If they want to try that big, monster, baby face push again, the time is NOW.

Really good show tonight, I think AEW pulls off three hours better than WWE, but I think it would be hard to maintain that kind of quality week to week. AEW is starting to use WWE's "New Era" verbiage. The difference is, AEW actually DOES feel like it has some fresh stuff going on. We had real drama tonight, like this:

Orange Cassidy - "Chuck Taylor...is never going to wrestle again...BECAUSE OF YOU TRENT BERETTA!"

Kenny Omega - "I wondered if I should come out and announce my retirement. My condition is like a ticking time bomb"

Okada - "Kenny, I am sorry...but now I am the Best Bout Machine!"

Matt Jackson - "I'm sorry Kenny, but we need to change the world"

Matt Menard on commentary - "We got children crying behind me right now"

Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Yeah, sounds like a fun Dynamite. I just caught up with the latest Collision, which was also pretty good.

I was just wondering where Christian was, so it's good to have him back. He should make for a quality first PPV challenger for Swerve.

Speaking of Swerve, I have seen complaints online that AEW is dropping the ball with his reign and making him feel less important than the current power struggle storyline involving the Elite. Seems a bit premature and I am sure some of those complaints might come from people who always have something to moan about and already don't like AEW.

Also, why would the EVPs pick Christian and not Jack Perry? Their whole gimmick started because they claimed the company was giving too much time to those old stars that made their names in WWE, yet they then pick Christian? Just a small criticism though, as I am sure Jack is on the path to challenging for the title some point this year. They still need to cement his new persona and give him time to grow. And Christian is a great opponent for Swerve, as I said.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

Reprise wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 4:22 am Yeah, sounds like a fun Dynamite. I just caught up with the latest Collision, which was also pretty good.

I was just wondering where Christian was, so it's good to have him back. He should make for a quality first PPV challenger for Swerve.

Speaking of Swerve, I have seen complaints online that AEW is dropping the ball with his reign and making him feel less important than the current power struggle storyline involving the Elite. Seems a bit premature and I am sure some of those complaints might come from people who always have something to moan about and already don't like AEW.

Also, why would the EVPs pick Christian and not Jack Perry? Their whole gimmick started because they claimed the company was giving too much time to those old stars that made their names in WWE, yet they then pick Christian? Just a small criticism though, as I am sure Jack is on the path to challenging for the title some point this year. They still need to cement his new persona and give him time to grow. And Christian is a great opponent for Swerve, as I said.
It's interesting that Christian has some personal beef with Swerve, particularly when he mentioned what Swerve did to Nick Wayne. It's interesting how AEW keeps bringing up the things Swerve did as a heel. Normally in the world of pro wrestling, when a guy turns babyface the fans are expected to instantly suffer memory loss about every awful thing they did when they were heels. I even made a joke about that once in this thread when Swerve started getting babyface reactions from the fans. I like this. Bringing up Swerve's past is ACTUAL STORYTELLING. In fact, there was quite a bit of actual storytelling on last night's show.

Some people say that they don't want AEW to be like WWE, but I feel like AEW is gradually starting to perfect the WWE formula. Sports entertainment, video packages, production, promos, and story telling, but actually done right and mixed in with the type of stuff we generally DON'T get in WWE, which is great in ring work, violence, and freedom on the microphone. Plus, AEW has much more of an international flair with the type of talent that the company features. I like it. If AEW can essentially become a better version of WWE, that's a good thing. Of course, I'm not implying they'll ever be as successful as WWE, but you never know. Life is full of surprises, and every great empire falls eventually. It's not literally impossible that someone could surpass WWE one day. It wasn't long ago that the idea of a WWE without Vince seemed impossible, unless he passed away. Yet, here we are. And it wasn't long ago that the very existence of something like AEW also seemed impossible
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

I read something recently about a ratings spike of 22,000 viewers during Toni Storm's match with AZM on Collision. You never hear anything about Storm popping ratings because no one gives a fuck about her and her stupid gimmick beyond some niche, internet fans. People tuned in for AZM...and she delivered. I've said it before but AEW has been neglecting joshis too much. That seems to be changing now though. Seeing more of those girls gives AEW's women's division (and ROH's Women's division) a different flavor from WWE, who only has a small number of them that they focus on at any given time (Asuka, Iyo, and Kairi)

It's fucking time for Storm to drop the title and go away but I'm beating a dead horse there. If Mina Shirakawa is the plan, I'm going to have to be patient. Storm is a lot like Eddie Kingston and Jade Cargill, someone being booked stronger than she deserves. Though unlike Kingston I'll give her credit for actually being able to wrestle and not looking like a piece of shit

Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

Is Sareee the Will Ospreay of the joshi scene right now? I believe this is the full match from the big show Stardom recently had. Her vs Mayu Iwatani for Mayu's IWGP women's title (which we could potentially see her defend again at Forbidden Door). Everybody seemed to love this match:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a98dkiIlZU
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Raging Justice wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 12:26 pm It's interesting that Christian has some personal beef with Swerve, particularly when he mentioned what Swerve did to Nick Wayne. It's interesting how AEW keeps bringing up the things Swerve did as a heel. Normally in the world of pro wrestling, when a guy turns babyface the fans are expected to instantly suffer memory loss about every awful thing they did when they were heels. I even made a joke about that once in this thread when Swerve started getting babyface reactions from the fans. I like this. Bringing up Swerve's past is ACTUAL STORYTELLING. In fact, there was quite a bit of actual storytelling on last night's show.
Ah I hadn't watched and hadn't considered that connection. Now that is interesting.

And to think I saw the usual comments on social media, like "where's the story?", "another random opponent just haphazardly put out there" blah blah etc.

It's so obvious when those criticising the show aren't even watching or worst, they aren't paying attention.

prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Since we had such a great time in Oaxaca, my wife and I just booked a trip to Mexico City. We’re heading down there in the fall, and one item on out itinerary is a visit to Arena Mexico for a lucha libre show. I am so excited to be heading to one of the best pro wresting venues in the world, and I can’t wait to tell you all about it!